• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Microsoft to unplug Internet Explorer as it seeks edge in browser war

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

5/20/21
Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) is pulling the plug on its once omnipresent browser, Internet Explorer, next year as it prepares to battle market leader Chrome with its slicker Edge browser. Launched in 1995, Internet Explorer became the dominant browser for over a decade as it was bundled with Microsoft's Windows operating system that came pre-installed in billions of computers. The browser, however, started losing out to Google's Chrome in the late 2000s and has become a subject of countless internet memes for its sluggishness in comparison to its rivals.

As of April, Chrome has a 65% share of the global browser market, followed by Apple Inc's (AAPL.O) Safari, with an 18% share, according to web analytics firm Statcounter. Microsoft Edge has a 3% share, while Internet Explorer has a miniscule share of the market it once dominated. The Windows software maker said on Wednesday the future of Internet Explorer on Windows 10 was in its faster and more secure Microsoft Edge. “Internet Explorer 11 desktop application will be retired and go out of support on June 15, 2022, for certain versions of Windows 10,” the company said.

Internet Explorer outlived its usefulness many, many years ago. Goodbye and RIP.

I'm currently giving the open-source Brave browser a tryout. Safe, fast, and automatically blocks ads. I like it quite a bit.

I use firefox mostly. However, I use a program on my home network called PiHole for ads and other problematic communications.

I bounce between Edge and Chrome. No big deal. Have not used Explorer in years.

Internet Explorer outlived its usefulness many, many years ago. Goodbye and RIP.

I'm currently giving the open-source Brave browser a tryout. Safe, fast, and automatically blocks ads. I like it quite a bit.

Edge is slicker?

Pale Moon is my goto Win10 browser, but I also use Edge, Opera, Chrome, Vivaldi and sometimes Firefox.

I haven't used IE in over a decade.

Meh. I avoid IE at all costs.
Using the Brave browser (Chrome derivative without the back channel to Google).

I used Firefox for a long time, then switched to Chrome when it came out. I was having issues with it on mobile and PC in the last year, and switched to edge on both and it's been fine. Haven't used IE since like version 6.

I use the library, when it's open.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Went full Edge on a new reinstall of Windows 10.. and frankly I dont miss Chrome as much as I would have thought. Hell there are some neat ass features in Edge that is especially good for "old people".... the ability of turning most webpages into an "app" with a shortcut on the desktop is cool.

Back
Top Bottom