• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Microsoft to shed 300lbs of useless weight, may survive now, Balmer retires

The CEO is the least of Microsoft's problems.

The CEO is the least of Microsoft's problems.

What?

Just because they beta test in the consumer market, and literally every different avenue they have tried has failed miserably?

If you watch the last interview of Gates and Jobs in 2007 talk about the future of content rich utilities you'll see that Gates definitely still has a say in which direction Microsoft was steering their industry. Even now he's going to be part of the selection process in replacing Balmer. Jobs rightly predicted people would continue to flock towards the smart phone market because of what it's capable of delivering.

What?

Just because they beta test in the consumer market, and literally every different avenue they have tried has failed miserably?

Balmer is believed to be ending the MS stack ranking system that has been the bane of that company for far too long.

Microsoft is FINALLY paying for it's sins of the past, though I do NOT like seeing Google take over the world either.

This all happened largely when Bush 1's Justice Department made a deal to drop the already-unanimously won before the Supreme Court case against Microsoft for anti-trust in relation to Navigator. In return for dropping the case the Justice Department already had won, Microsoft gave the government access to everyone's computer - for which the government protected Microsoft's monopoly. Getting both arrogant and lazy, Yahoo and then Google captured then Internet - and that's where the REAL money is at.

under balmer microsoft had really gone downhill,they are miles away from a failing company,but they have lost market share to android and apple.microsoft also went on the if it exists we will make our own version and software binge.

microsoft didnt need to make everything and have is hand in everything.ms did just fine owning thepc market and designing software for select business and military applications.many of their new products have been flops,and many of their brilliant ideas were also flops.take example the windows 8 tablet,great functionality for a tab,but its hardware is so restricted that only a few tabs can run it,had microsoft set it to run on most standard tabs,there would have been an influx of w8 tabs,at a much cheaper price,which would have crushed the ipad in both price and funtionality.but of course they didnt,most people ive seen try and install it found out it refuses to install unless minimum requirements for tablets are met,the tabs that do are almost non existent.

as to android,microsoft had an early running on smartphones using windows ce,however they let that slip behind while ios and android continued to innovate,not releasing another product again until those 2 had already dominated the market.

under balmer microsoft had really gone downhill,they are miles away from a failing company,but they have lost market share to android and apple.microsoft also went on the if it exists we will make our own version and software binge.

microsoft didnt need to make everything and have is hand in everything.ms did just fine owning thepc market and designing software for select business and military applications.

Select businesses? WTF??

They are the leader in word processing, spreadsheets, server software and DBMS systems, which are general business apps used by wide variety of businesses. Those four product areas account for the large majority of MS's sales.

many of their new products have been flops,and many of their brilliant ideas were also flops.take example the windows 8 tablet,great functionality for a tab,but its hardware is so restricted that only a few tabs can run it,had microsoft set it to run on most standard tabs,there would have been an influx of w8 tabs,at a much cheaper price,which would have crushed the ipad in both price and funtionality.but of course they didnt,most people ive seen try and install it found out it refuses to install unless minimum requirements for tablets are met,the tabs that do are almost non existent.

as to android,microsoft had an early running on smartphones using windows ce,however they let that slip behind while ios and android continued to innovate,not releasing another product again until those 2 had already dominated the market.

Win8 runs on a wide variety of tablets and smartphones. I don't know where you got the idea that it doesn't

Select businesses? WTF??

They are the leader in word processing, spreadsheets, server software and DBMS systems, which are general business apps used by wide variety of businesses. Those four product areas account for the large majority of MS's sales.

Win8 runs on a wide variety of tablets and smartphones. I don't know where you got the idea that it doesn't

first of select business means they they cater to general business plus some specific needs,but dont cater software towards the mass of business,third party companies fill that void,but they usually use windows for their platform.

second no windows 8 has very strict minimum requirements,which so far only very high end tablets meet those requirements,whereas android meets both the high and low end,just the fact you cant get a tablet with win8 without spendingmore than a netbook with better power says alot,while android tablets can be bought for 60-80 bucks on the low end.btw try loading win 8 on anything but a top of the line tablet,betya it wont work without massive scripting to bypass the os's minimum requirement brick wall,despite the fact it can easily run on less,it doesnt want to.

first of select business means they they cater to general business plus some specific needs,but dont cater software towards the mass of business,third party companies fill that void,but they usually use windows for their platform.

They "cater to general business" but don't "cater software towards the mass of business"????

LOL! Wut?

second no windows 8 has very strict minimum requirements,which so far only very high end tablets meet those requirements,whereas android meets both the high and low end,just the fact you cant get a tablet with win8 without spendingmore than a netbook with better power says alot,while android tablets can be bought for 60-80 bucks on the low end.btw try loading win 8 on anything but a top of the line tablet,betya it wont work without massive scripting to bypass the os's minimum requirement brick wall,despite the fact it can easily run on less,it doesnt want to.

Windows 8 system requirements - Microsoft Windows

It doesn't require a top of the line notebook.

Microsoft_2010_Revenue_Values.png

As you can see from the above chart, $80 devices is not where MS makes its' money

They "cater to general business" but don't "cater software towards the mass of business"????

LOL! Wut?

It doesn't require a top of the line notebook.

Microsoft_2010_Revenue_Values.png

As you can see from the above chart, $80 devices is not where MS makes its' money
notebook is not a tablet or smartphone,in which the vast majority of tablets and phones cant run win8,and devices have to be manufactured just to run win8.infact one of the requirements to run win8 on a tablet is directx 10 video card,how many tablets do you see directx 10 compatible other than very top of the line???point is they alienated themselves from the low to mid range tablet market.in the smartphone market they have only one low endphone,the huwei,which is comparible to android phones price forfeatures.i have that phone and it is prety awesome.

now on business software,alot of business dontuse things like office or powerpoint,rather they focus on business specific software which microsoft does not produce.for example in my profession i use alldata,which works only on windows,but is pribately developed.now a machine shop may use cnc software to machine stuff,but windows didnt design that,a architect may use software thats windows compaible,but they didnt design it.ms designes software mostly catered towards accounting,presentaion,and software design,they have alot of other software,but those are their major sellers.

notebook is not a tablet or smartphone,in which the vast majority of tablets and phones cant run win8,and devices have to be manufactured just to run win8.infact one of the requirements to run win8 on a tablet is directx 10 video card,how many tablets do you see directx 10 compatible other than very top of the line???point is they alienated themselves from the low to mid range tablet market.in the smartphone market they have only one low endphone,the huwei,which is comparible to android phones price forfeatures.i have that phone and it is prety awesome.

It requires DirectX 9, which many notebooks and tablets run.

now on business software,alot of business dontuse things like office or powerpoint,rather they focus on business specific software which microsoft does not produce.for example in my profession i use alldata,which works only on windows,but is pribately developed.

IOW, your business app depends on MS software. Yet, for some reason, you don't see your Win OS as general business software

now a machine shop may use cnc software to machine stuff,but windows didnt design that,a architect may use software thats windows compaible,but they didnt design it.ms designes software mostly catered towards accounting,presentaion,and software design,they have alot of other software,but those are their major sellers.

You seem to think that writing apps for specific businesses is a part of MS's strategy.

It's not, and AFAIK it never has been.

Again, look at the chart I posted. More than half their business comes from servers & tools and general business apps (ie Office, etc). Add in Windows OS, and you've got more than 3/4 of their business.

It requires DirectX 9, which many notebooks and tablets run.

IOW, your business app depends on MS software. Yet, for some reason, you don't see your Win OS as general business software

You seem to think that writing apps for specific businesses is a part of MS's strategy.

It's not, and AFAIK it never has been.

Again, look at the chart I posted. More than half their business comes from servers & tools and general business apps (ie Office, etc). Add in Windows OS, and you've got more than 3/4 of their business.

no tablets runnign win8 and rt require direct x 10 not 9,further the os will refuse installation if there is no windows button,or volume buttons.in lamens windows didnt build its system to run on tablets and phones,it built a system and expected manufacturors to build their hardware to fit windows,whereas android built their system to fit phones.

second windows is a general os,so windows designing the os does not count as business software,as it is used for nearly everything,unless its a business specific os like win2000.

third i never said writing apps for specific business was its strategy,however ms makes plenty making the apps they already do because they are tested,standard format,and reasonable compared to ouput.my gripe was microsoft trying to make an app for everyhing they could,and venturing into markets they should have,and blundering the markets they could have dominated.take for example the zune,it had superior sound,batter life,and screen to the ipod,but why did it fail??some say marketing,but what it really was is microsofts general lack of caring in the zunes case.i remember them all failing after a certain date due to a software error,the fix was an update,which microsoft wanted to charge for.things like that killed their standing,and made people think wice about buying a zune.

no tablets runnign win8 and rt require direct x 10 not 9,further the os will refuse installation if there is no windows button,or volume buttons.in lamens windows didnt build its system to run on tablets and phones,it built a system and expected manufacturors to build their hardware to fit windows,whereas android built their system to fit phones.

DirectX 9

second windows is a general os,so windows designing the os does not count as business software,as it is used for nearly everything,unless its a business specific os like win2000.

You're right. The OS is not a "business app" and certainly not "business specific"

However, MS is not in the business of writing software for specific industries.

third i never said writing apps for specific business was its strategy,however ms makes plenty making the apps they already do because they are tested,standard format,and reasonable compared to ouput.my gripe was microsoft trying to make an app for everyhing they could,and venturing into markets they should have,and blundering the markets they could have dominated.take for example the zune,it had superior sound,batter life,and screen to the ipod,but why did it fail??some say marketing,but what it really was is microsofts general lack of caring in the zunes case.i remember them all failing after a certain date due to a software error,the fix was an update,which microsoft wanted to charge for.things like that killed their standing,and made people think wice about buying a zune.

Which goes to my point - that MS's strength is with general purpose software like DBMS's, OS's, server software, etc

If I still purchased stocks, I would have no problem owning Microsoft. I have in the past. They have sorts of issues going on right now that may not be good for dividends, but are good for brand loyalty in the long run like free upgrades cutting into revenues. They also had to pay a pretty hefty fine in Europe (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/07/technology/eu-fines-microsoft-over-browser.html?_r=0 --interesting enough they are going after Google for the same sort of thing which I think is a crap policy equivalent to fining Coke for not putting Pepsi in its vending machines).

That said, as a corporate matter, I think they would do well to let X-Box act as a stand alone company so it can have its own corporate atmosphere, freedoms to create and innovate outside of the the software-oriented management monkey on its back.

your again posting the windows 8 pc requirements,not the tablet requirements for win on both arm and intel based tablets,which has a much different requirement set needed to work.

Windows 8 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

jump to tablets and convertables,it specifically lists directx 10,not 9.direct x 9 is for pc's and laptops.

Interesting...WIki says 10, but MS says 9, but maybe you're right about it being different for tablets although the link I posted does suggest that it applies to tablets too (see the lower section where it talks about working on tablets). However, that's not particularly important to the point because there are a # of tablets that run Win8, and there will be more in the near future. As time goes on, they will get cheaper. They might not go as low as the $80 you mention, but so what? That's not the market MS is going for.

MS's primary customer is businesses and people who work for businesses with MS-based OS's.

Wow, how did I miss this thread?

Ballmer kind of screwed MS over though with his one OS view vs Job's two OS view.

I suspect that is because that is also Bill Gates' view.

I suspect that is because that is also Bill Gates' view.

What really amazes me is how both of them thought that a system that already slows down on a desktop would be good for a device that has significantly less power. Every person I know who had a early windows phone (not many) described in a few months in as "laggy, slow piece of crap." iOS is quite stripped down when compared to the desktop/laptop OS. Were those two in an echo chamber? I hear the stack ranking was a big mess over at MS too. Blame Ballmer for that one.

What really amazes me is how both of them thought that a system that already slows down on a desktop would be good for a device that has significantly less power. Every person I know who had a early windows phone (not many) described in a few months in as "laggy, slow piece of crap." iOS is quite stripped down when compared to the desktop/laptop OS. Were those two in an echo chamber? I hear the stack ranking was a big mess over at MS too. Blame Ballmer for that one.

I think stack ranking may have been Gates' doing. Balmer said that he was going to end it though as he was heading toward the door. By my measure, the stack ranking and the refusal to spin X-box and related entertainment stuff into a a separate free-standing company have probably done the biggest harms to MS.They really don't have an immediate need to be involved in portables if they were to let the gaming operations do the heavy-lifting for awhile as they focused on the desktop stuff.

Developer as developers devcelopsers!!

I think stack ranking may have been Gates' doing. Balmer said that he was going to end it though as he was heading toward the door. By my measure, the stack ranking and the refusal to spin X-box and related entertainment stuff into a a separate free-standing company have probably done the biggest harms to MS.They really don't have an immediate need to be involved in portables if they were to let the gaming operations do the heavy-lifting for awhile as they focused on the desktop stuff.

IMO, there is a need to keep mobile devices as an integral part of their main portfolio. Computing is moving onto mobile devices and has the potential to greatly increase productivity. By keeping it close, and making sure they run using the same OS (ie Win8), MS is ensuring that their software will run on the widest range of platforms and that it will be easy for businesses to integrate mobile devices into their already existing software infrastructure.

IMO, there is a need to keep mobile devices as an integral part of their main portfolio. Computing is moving onto mobile devices and has the potential to greatly increase productivity. By keeping it close, and making sure they run using the same OS (ie Win8), MS is ensuring that their software will run on the widest range of platforms and that it will be easy for businesses to integrate mobile devices into their already existing software infrastructure.

Perhaps, but they should not let portables hold back their OS. Microsoft makes a lot more money from a business in desktops and office licenses than it will from people wanting third party apps for their cellphones.

Perhaps, but they should not let portables hold back their OS. Microsoft makes a lot more money from a business in desktops and office licenses than it will from people wanting third party apps for their cellphones.

Very good. Many people don't realize that and think MS makes their money by selling the newest OS or app to the (non-business) consumer end of the market when their true client base is businesses. However, while the mobile market is currently predominantly one of consumer-type apps (social media apps, what's a good restaurant near to where I am, etc) that will not always be the case. There are a wide # of jobs where the work is done in a location away from their office's servers.

Lawyers do their work in a courtroom, and then go back to their office to enter their casework into their firms central database. Later on, when the case goes back to court, they print out the case info and carry it to court. Doctors do their work in the examination room (or hospital room, etc) and then go back to their office, turn on their desktop, and enter the info, etc.

There will be a day when lawyers don't have to print out info at their office and carry it into court, and write down what happens in court and enter it into the database when they go back to their office. Instead, they will enter case info, and access that info, through their smartphones, etc. Doctors won't have to take notes in their illegible handwriting. Instead, they'll enter info while they're examining the patient. It will go right into the hospitals database. Prescriptions they write will go right in and be checked immediately, in real time. The pharmacy dept will be informed of the new prescription right away. And of course, so will the billing dept.

Back
Top Bottom