• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Microsoft to Dump Windows 8

I just find the thought of using a fictional television series as the basis for an argument about why keyboards will never go away to be rather dumb. That's like using the old Dick Tracy comics as an argument against smart phones.

I just find the thought of using a fictional television series as the basis for an argument about why keyboards will never go away to be rather dumb. That's like using the old Dick Tracy comics as an argument against smart phones.

No, old Dick was just ahead of his time is all.

SmartWatch_PP_ColorWristband_Solo_Black-660x411.jpg

No, old Dick was just ahead of his time is all.

SmartWatch_PP_ColorWristband_Solo_Black-660x411.jpg

As if that SmartWatch is a good thing...LOL!!

Should I Buy It?

No. Absolutely not. No one should own this, no matter their lifestyle preferences or moral views. I promise you—you won't like it. The Sony SmartWatch is pathetic, frustrating, and empty. There's no way to justify spending $150 on this—this ripoff of a thing. It's easily gulped down at first under the guise of luxe gadgetry, but spending any more than a few minutes swiping with despair reveals just how much of a bad practical joke this thing is. Were the SmartWatch some Target clearance rack bauble from a Chinese no-name crap dispensary, this wouldn't be worth typing over. But this is Sony. That means something. Right? For now—but not after many more SmartWatches.
Sony SmartWatch Review: Maybe the Worst Thing Sony Has Ever Made

Got anymore failed arguments?

As if that SmartWatch is a good thing...LOL!!

If you notice, I said nothing about how good it was, or how well it worked. I simply made the comment that such things do now exist.

Myself, I question their need and use, yet another gadget for the uber-geek to brag to their friends about (like the wach-calculators and watch-data centers of the 1990's). Or the "wearable computers" that keep popping up every 8-10 years. Cool, neat, but of no real use that I can see.

Heck, for all of the "uber-cool-neat" things my Android phone can do, I still find that I use it as a book far more then anything else.

I just find the thought of using a fictional television series as the basis for an argument about why keyboards will never go away to be rather dumb.

Did you even read your own argument?

You cited innovation and then you're rejecting it when it's used against you.

And you wonder why I have such an extremely low opinion of you....

Did you even read your own argument?

You cited innovation and then you're rejecting it when it's used against you.

And you wonder why I have such an extremely low opinion of you....

???

Used against me?

Dude...you cite a fictional television and movie series. What's next? You going to trot out a fantasy-genre novel? Argue that we will be flying on dragons soon?

Give me a break!

Microsoft is backing away from Windows 8.0
Its actually backing away from 8.1
HOORAY! the new revised 7! I called it! *mic drop*

Microsoft is backing away from Windows 8.0
Its actually backing away from 8.1
HOORAY! the new revised 7! I called it! *mic drop*

I assume you are talking about Win10. Sorry, but you are still wrong.

MS isn't backing away from anything.

I'm the same way with 7. I don't plan on buying another machine for at least a year (I bought mine the summer before Windows 7 came out, and it's still a powerful machine), but when I do, I'll probably just make the full leap into OpenSuSE Linux. I'll keep a copy/license of Windows around for a virtual machine to play games.

Windows Blue is just the codename. And the name of the operating system doesn't change what's under the hood, and most of what's under the hood will stay with the next Windows release (from what I understand).

Just curious. Of all the linux out there... why Suse?

I agree, however today many distros share the same core, and even use the same installer. I would recommend anybody thinking about Linux as an option, coming from windows I would recommend Linux Mint, and coming from MAC, I would recommend Fedora or Ubuntu. Linux Mint is a more user friendly and windows-like experience based on Ubuntu, and Fedora uses the Gnome 3 desktop which is kind of a mix between a mac desktop and a touch screen ready PC, while Ubuntu comes with an interface similar in many ways to windows 8 metro interface. All 3 of them use very similar installers, and are among the most reliable and easy to use distros out there.

But then again, it's my opinion, your mileage may vary!

I'd stick with any debian based linux. There are far more programmers out there gearing towards that package system than the others making life a good bit easier to deal with in linux... which sometimes ain't easy depending on what you want to get done.

Once Vista received a service pack or two, it actually wasn't bad at all. But Windows 7 was certainly good. And from what I hear, aside from the dreadful UI, Windows 8 really is pretty sharp.

My old laptop has Vista, my work computer has 7 and my new laptop has 8. 8, due to the interface, is the most dreadful thing I've ever seen on a computer. I'm very capable of learning new software and interfaces quickly, and learn new software for work all the time, but 8 is by far the most intuitive and most counter productive thing I've ever dealt with. It's like everything that is unimportant they spent alot of time bringing to the front and everything that is extremely important they made more difficult.

Windows 7 isnot bad at all imo. I'll always be partial to XP, like many windows users, but 7 is a good balance of new looks and added features but still keeping fairly true to the reliability and ease of the old operating system.

My old laptop has Vista, my work computer has 7 and my new laptop has 8. 8, due to the interface, is the most dreadful thing I've ever seen on a computer. I'm very capable of learning new software and interfaces quickly, and learn new software for work all the time, but 8 is by far the most intuitive and most counter productive thing I've ever dealt with. It's like everything that is unimportant they spent alot of time bringing to the front and everything that is extremely important they made more difficult.

Windows 7 isnot bad at all imo. I'll always be partial to XP, like many windows users, but 7 is a good balance of new looks and added features but still keeping fairly true to the reliability and ease of the old operating system.

You should probably upgrade your Win8 laptop to Win8.1 Update 1. Then you'll be able to set it to boot directly to the desktop. You won't have to ever see the Start Screen...unless you want to...and it'll look and act just like Win7, but without the old Start Menu.

You should probably upgrade your Win8 laptop to Win8.1 Update 1. Then you'll be able to set it to boot directly to the desktop. You won't have to ever see the Start Screen...unless you want to...and it'll look and act just like Win7, but without the old Start Menu.

I've done that, but even then it still has all kind of short cut pop ups if you drag your mouse by the edge of the screen and stuff, which I hate to no end.

I've done that, but even then it still has all kind of short cut pop ups if you drag your mouse by the edge of the screen and stuff, which I hate to no end.

You'll like Win10, then. They do away with just about all of that stuff.

You work for windows or something?

LOL!!

No, I don't.

But I use Windows. I've had Win8/8.1/Update 1 since they were all released. I have the Win10 Technical Preview on a laptop...and I think it's a great OS. I like the direction MS is taking. I'm looking forward to using Cortana on my desktop next year and I'm looking forward to using my keyboard and mouse less and less as time goes by. I like being able to control my desktop by using my Android tablet from across the room.

I'm looking forward to using Cortana on my desktop next

I thought you were joking when I read that. Then I did a bit of research.

Yep, Cortana.

Really? They are putting the HALO AI character in the OS?

Sheesh, why not just bring back Bob while they are at it.

I thought you were joking when I read that. Then I did a bit of research.

Yep, Cortana.

Really? They are putting the HALO AI character in the OS?

Sheesh, why not just bring back Bob while they are at it.

The voice doesn't matter much, but as a guy I guess I'd rather talk to a female voice than a masculine voice.

The big thing for me about Cortana is being able to interact with my computer without having to touch anything. I do this with my Android tablet a lot and I like it.

Here is Cortana on Windows Phone 8.1.

Just curious. Of all the linux out there... why Suse?
Several reasons.

First of all, we are a Novell shop at work, so I deal with Novell and Suse products regularly, so there was a small comfort of familiarity when I first started and some of the same concepts I do on my OpenSuse work in SLES. Secondly, when I first started working with Linux, it was taking a lab of Windows 2000 machines and "updating" them with Novell Linux Desktop 9, which was a Suse derivative at the time (again, because we are a Novell network). It was where I had my first learning experience with Linux. Thirdly, Suse has/had YaST which still may be the best GUI-based administrative tool in any operating system (Linux, Mac, Windows, etc.). Fourth, I think their implementation of the KDE desktop makes them one of the best looking desktops anywhere (again, including Linux, Mac and Windows). Finally, once I've learned Suse, I've never seen any real reason to switch.

I've used Ubuntu (and some of it's offshoots). I've worked a little with CentOS and Fedora. For the things I do with a computer, I don't see a point in trying some of the less popular distributions. So I use Suse.
It wouldn't surprise me at all. Windows 8/8.1 sucks so hard.

I hate Windows 8/8.1 so much. For crying out loud, they make you boot into Windows just so you can restart to boot into Safe Mode. So asinine. And since Windows 8.1 removed the ability to create a system recovery disc CD (you can only use a flash drive now, so instead of spending $.20 to create a recovery disc, you have to spend at least $5), it only makes it harder to get into Safe Mode when you actually need to get into Safe Mode.

Just so many stupid things like that.

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me at all. Windows 8/8.1 sucks so hard.

I hate Windows 8/8.1 so much. For crying out loud, they make you boot into Windows just so you can restart to boot into Safe Mode. So asinine. And since Windows 8.1 removed the ability to create a system recovery disc CD (you can only use a flash drive now, so instead of spending $.20 to create a recovery disc, you have to spend at least $5), it only makes it harder to get into Safe Mode when you actually need to get into Safe Mode.

Just so many stupid things like that.

A "recovery CD"???

Dude...nobody uses CD's anymore. Heck, I don't even think you can buy a computer with a CD drive anymore.

In any case, it seems you really don't know a whole lot about Win8/8.1. You see, it certainly IS possible to create a "recovery CD" is you insist on living in the past.

Using Optical Media

If you prefer to use a CD or DVD (this might be a good idea if you think your USB device might fail) then you will need to follow a slightly different set of instructions. Before proceeding, however, make sure you have a writable CD or DVD in your optical drive.

After clicking Create a recovery drive, make sure that no boxes are checked (specifically the Copy the recovery partition… box) and click Next > Create a system repair disc with a CD or DVD instead.

With this option selected, the remainder of the steps above are the same. As long as the recovery drive will fit onto your CD or DVD, you shouldn’t have any problems.

How To Create A Windows 8 Recovery Disk

And why the heck do you need to boot into Safe Mode? Win8/8.1 is so freaking stable, Safe Mode is a waste of programming.

I'm thinking you should just stick with Linux, dude. Windows is a bit too complicated for you, it seems.

A "recovery CD"???

Dude...nobody uses CD's anymore.
Your post is completely detached from the reality of the computing world.

CDs are used all the time, for a variety of reasons. For example, we have to use imaging discs because our, get this, Windows 8/8.1 machines will sometimes not boot from the imaging server.

Heck, I don't even think you can buy a computer with a CD drive anymore.
Heck, I don't think you know anything about computers. We have bought close to 100 machines this year alone (3 different models), all with a CD drive.

Seriously, go spout your nonsense someplace else. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

In any case, it seems you really don't know a whole lot about Win8/8.1. You see, it certainly IS possible to create a "recovery CD" is you insist on living in the past.
Are you kidding me? First of all, learn to read:

And since Windows 8.1 removed the ability to create a system recovery disc CD (you can only use a flash drive now, so instead of spending $.20 to create a recovery disc, you have to spend at least $5), it only makes it harder to get into Safe Mode when you actually need to get into Safe Mode.

Then become educated:

Windows 8 and 8.1 allow creating a bootable Recovery Drive - USB disk that boots right into Recovery Environment (aka Limited Diagnostic Mode) that allows repairing problems, running System Restore and Refreshing or Resetting your PC. The drive or media cannot be used to install Windows. It is very similar to Windows 7's System Repair Disc.
Recovery Drive (the USB version) or System Repair Disc (the CD/DVD version, only available in Windows 8) is meant for those who do not have a bootable Windows 8/8.1 DVD - this is a common case as there is no DVD bundled with computers that have Windows 8 or 8.1 preinstalled (the OEM versions of Windows).

First, make sure you have a blank CD/DVD (only in Windows 8) or a USB drive with at least 256 MB (megabytes) of total disk space.
https://www.winhelp.us/create-a-recovery-drive-in-windows-8.html

So not only are your posts completely detached from the reality of the computing world, you also don't seem to mind shouting about things you clearly don't know. Typical stuff from you.

And recovery/repair discs are not a thing of the past. They have to be used for a variety of reasons. Quit spouting off about stuff you clearly don't understand.

And why the heck do you need to boot into Safe Mode? Win8/8.1 is so freaking stable, Safe Mode is a waste of programming.
Nonsense, when you're working with hundreds of computers, some of them are going to fail (whether due to incompatible drivers, malware, software installation failure, etc.). There have been a couple of times just this year where I needed Safe Mode.

How freaking ridiculous is your post?

I'm thinking you should just stick with Linux, dude. Windows is a bit too complicated for you, it seems.
I'm thinking you should know what the hell you're talking about when it comes to computers before you try to give me advice.

Last edited:
Several reasons.

First of all, we are a Novell shop at work, so I deal with Novell and Suse products regularly, so there was a small comfort of familiarity when I first started and some of the same concepts I do on my OpenSuse work in SLES. Secondly, when I first started working with Linux, it was taking a lab of Windows 2000 machines and "updating" them with Novell Linux Desktop 9, which was a Suse derivative at the time (again, because we are a Novell network). It was where I had my first learning experience with Linux. Thirdly, Suse has/had YaST which still may be the best GUI-based administrative tool in any operating system (Linux, Mac, Windows, etc.). Fourth, I think their implementation of the KDE desktop makes them one of the best looking desktops anywhere (again, including Linux, Mac and Windows). Finally, once I've learned Suse, I've never seen any real reason to switch.

I've used Ubuntu (and some of it's offshoots). I've worked a little with CentOS and Fedora. For the things I do with a computer, I don't see a point in trying some of the less popular distributions. So I use Suse.

That makes sense. The first Linux I ever tried was Suse I think it was back in early 2000's. It was either Suse or Lindows (which later turned into Linspire, after a microsoft threat of a lawsuit, and I believe is now defunct).

Suse was alright and I'm sure its much much better now than then too. I like debian based linux systems. Because ubuntu and its derivatives are the preeminant linux OS out there (as far as usage) programmers seem to port their products to debian systems and their package manager rather quickly. What I never really tried is the big dog (in terms of business and money) red hat. I'd like to try that some day. I did install a virtual of Fedora and never really played with it much because nothing jumped out at me as uniquely different than anything else I had worked with.

Your post is completely detached from the reality of the computing world.

CDs are used all the time, for a variety of reasons. For example, we have to use imaging discs because our, get this, Windows 8/8.1 machines will sometimes not boot from the imaging server.

Heck, I don't think you know anything about computers. We have bought close to 100 machines this year alone (3 different models), all with a CD drive.

Seriously, go spout your nonsense someplace else. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Are you kidding me? First of all, learn to read:

Then become educated:

https://www.winhelp.us/create-a-recovery-drive-in-windows-8.html

So not only are your posts completely detached from the reality of the computing world, you also don't seem to mind shouting about things you clearly don't know. Typical stuff from you.

And recovery/repair discs are not a thing of the past. They have to be used for a variety of reasons. Quit spouting off about stuff you clearly don't understand.

Nonsense, when you're working with hundreds of computers, some of them are going to fail (whether due to incompatible drivers, malware, software installation failure, etc.). There have been a couple of times just this year where I needed Safe Mode.

How freaking ridiculous is your post?

I'm thinking you should know what the hell you're talking about when it comes to computers before you try to give me advice.

I suggest you dump the CD/DVD drives. USB drives are much easier to use and more reliable.

"very similar System Repair Disc"

Too bad that causes you so much trouble.

"There have been a couple of times just this year where I needed Safe Mode."

Your own link shows you how to do that. Didn't seem like a big deal to me...especially if I only had to do it a couple of times....out of hundreds of computers.

Oh, well...sometimes old dogs just don't feel comfortable with new tricks. No big deal. That's why MS still has Win7.

That makes sense. The first Linux I ever tried was Suse I think it was back in early 2000's. It was either Suse or Lindows (which later turned into Linspire, after a microsoft threat of a lawsuit, and I believe is now defunct).

Suse was alright and I'm sure its much much better now than then too. I like debian based linux systems. Because ubuntu and its derivatives are the preeminant linux OS out there (as far as usage) programmers seem to port their products to debian systems and their package manager rather quickly. What I never really tried is the big dog (in terms of business and money) red hat. I'd like to try that some day. I did install a virtual of Fedora and never really played with it much because nothing jumped out at me as uniquely different than anything else I had worked with.
The problem with Ubuntu, as I understand it, is they cannot really decide what they want their purpose to be. On one hand, they want to keep the diehard Linux fans, but also want to make it more accessible to the common person. For me, I'm not a big fan of the Unity desktop. Admittedly I've only spent a little time on Unity (it's actually been too long of a time since I used any Linux on a regular basis), but it just did not really seem to make sense to me. I prefer KDE but I never had any problems with Gnome 2 (haven't used Gnome 3, though I know a lot of people weren't happy with it when it came out).

For all of that, I really like Windows 7 still. Windows 8/8.1 is awful, but 7 still works great for me. I have OpenSuSE on my laptop (I think still have 12.2 on there, because there was a driver issue with ATI video cards on 13.1) and I just haven't really had much of a time to work on the laptop in the last few months. But I've used OpenSuSE since version 11 first came out and I've always been happy with it (minus the aforementioned driver issue).
I suggest you dump the CD/DVD drives. USB drives are much easier to use and more reliable.
And a lot more expensive, as I already said. Seriously, try reading.

"very similar System Repair Disc"

Too bad that causes you so much trouble.
What are you talking about? It's not causing me trouble IT DOES NOT EXIST. You cannot create a repair CD disc with 8.1. You were wrong (as usual) and I was right.

"There have been a couple of times just this year where I needed Safe Mode."

Your own link shows you how to do that.
Yes, by either booting into Windows (which is not helpful) or by creating the repair disc, which you can't use a CD for...which is what we are talking about.

Seriously, learn what the hell you're talking about when it comes to computers.

Didn't seem like a big deal to me
That's probably because you don't have much knowledge about computers. This has been established time and time again.

Oh, well...sometimes old dogs just don't feel comfortable with new tricks.
And sometimes ignorant people talk out of their ass about something they don't know anything about.

No big deal. That's why MS still has Win7.
And it's why Windows 8 and 8.1 combined STILL doesn't have as big of a marketshare as Windows XP.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...et-share-really-is-closing-in-on-windows-xps/

Like I said, learn a little something about computers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom