• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Microsoft to Dump Windows 8

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
There has been talk all over, in legit publications for the past 2 months, that Windows will dump Window 8 (thank God) in favor for something called Windows Blue. It will drop the new (and hated by most) Metro interface and finally return to a Windows 7 interface! I am thrilled they are finally going to drop the hatchet on this dirty dog because the only other OS I would consider is Linux if Microsoft stayed the course. The Rumor Is That Microsoft Will Bail On Its New Age User-Interface And Go Back To The Old Style - Business Insider

I found windows 8 to be largely inconvenient. I cannot tell you how pleased I am to be hearing this.

Yay!

Smart move on thier part.

The thread title is misleading. They are not dumping Windows 8, they are simply considering giving users the ability to boot directly to desktop, which would allow them to bypass Metro. Metro user interface would still exist in the OS.

The thread title is misleading. They are not dumping Windows 8, they are simply considering giving users the ability to boot directly to desktop, which would allow them to bypass Metro. Metro user interface would still exist in the OS.

Even that is a massive concession on their part.

Not exactly.
It appears as both could be correct.
Windows Blue would be a different release and no longer known as windows 8.

To fix the problem, Microsoft is working on a new version of Windows 8 called Windows Blue.

Reports from a couple of different forums from this past weekend raised the possibility that Microsoft might be moving toward allowing users to skip booting into the Metro-Style Start menu and instead start their PCs in desktop mode. (Winbeta.org noted the thread about this on April 14.)

One of my sources confirmed this is now looking like the plan and added that Microsoft is also considering bringing back the Start button as an option with Windows Blue.​

For them not to do this would be the beginning of the end for the Windows OS. They really screwed up with the Metro interface! The word 'Idiotic' comes to mind thinking about it. It is less efficient plus not intuitive to use. I used it for an hour and I wanted to throw the damn computer in a wood chipper! To remove the 'Start' button was BEYOND stupid! IF I wanted to get to a location in Win8 or run a program it took 2 or even 3 times as many steps. Plus to me Metro is ugly as hell. It looks cheap and using it, it feels cheap, like a few people in China wanted to make a OS in a few days and sell it to the "stupid" Americans.

Not exactly.
It appears as both could be correct.
Windows blue would be a different release and no longer known as windows 8.

But that's not dumping Windows 8, it's patching/updating it. Think of it more like Apple's OS X moving from 10.6 to 10.7. If I remember correctly, this is how Windows is planning its future updates. Instead of a huge OS change coming down every few years, it'll be gradual updates each year.

There has been talk all over, in legit publications for the past 2 months, that Windows will dump Window 8 (thank God) in favor for something called Windows Blue. It will drop the new (and hated by most) Metro interface and finally return to a Windows 7 interface! I am thrilled they are finally going to drop the hatchet on this dirty dog because the only other OS I would consider is Linux if Microsoft stayed the course. The Rumor Is That Microsoft Will Bail On Its New Age User-Interface And Go Back To The Old Style - Business Insider

Every other OS, seriously. XP rocked, Vista sucked, 7 is great, 8 sucks balls. The next one will be the true improvement.

Every other OS, seriously. XP rocked, Vista sucked, 7 is great, 8 sucks balls. The next one will be the true improvement.

Once Vista received a service pack or two, it actually wasn't bad at all. But Windows 7 was certainly good. And from what I hear, aside from the dreadful UI, Windows 8 really is pretty sharp.

Once Vista received a service pack or two, it actually wasn't bad at all. But Windows 7 was certainly good. And from what I hear, aside from the dreadful UI, Windows 8 really is pretty sharp.

I love my 7, solid solid OS. I'll get 9 when it comes out

But that's not dumping Windows 8, it's patching/updating it. Think of it more like Apple's OS X moving from 10.6 to 10.7. If I remember correctly, this is how Windows is planning its future updates. Instead of a huge OS change coming down every few years, it'll be gradual updates each year.
I understand what you are saying.
Yet the report indicates a new System. Windows Blue.
A New system so soon after the other's release (even though they would be updating it), sure indicates to me they are dumping it in favor of their previous and long standing UI.

We'll have to see how it plays out though.

I love my 7, solid solid OS. I'll get 9 when it comes out

I'm the same way with 7. I don't plan on buying another machine for at least a year (I bought mine the summer before Windows 7 came out, and it's still a powerful machine), but when I do, I'll probably just make the full leap into OpenSuSE Linux. I'll keep a copy/license of Windows around for a virtual machine to play games.
I understand what you are saying.
Yet the report indicates a new System. Windows Blue.
A New system so soon after the other's release (even though they would be updating it), sure indicates to me they are dumping it in favor of their previous and long standing UI.

We'll have to see how it plays out though.
Windows Blue is just the codename. And the name of the operating system doesn't change what's under the hood, and most of what's under the hood will stay with the next Windows release (from what I understand).

They should have just allowed users to choose between the Metro UI and the standard start button when they shipped Windows 8. I'm not sure how they didn't anticipate that many users would be ticked off at the forced change.

I'm the same way with 7. I don't plan on buying another machine for at least a year (I bought mine the summer before Windows 7 came out, and it's still a powerful machine), but when I do, I'll probably just make the full leap into OpenSuSE Linux. I'll keep a copy/license of Windows around for a virtual machine to play games.

Windows Blue is just the codename. And the name of the operating system doesn't change what's under the hood, and most of what's under the hood will stay with the next Windows release (from what I understand).

I did the Linux thing for a bit back in the day. Quite honestly, it was more a pain in the ass than it was worth. At least IMO.

I did the Linux thing for a bit back in the day. Quite honestly, it was more a pain in the ass than it was worth. At least IMO.

I have had OpenSuSE on my laptop for a while now and have found it to be rock solid.

They never were a very good couple, always argued and never got anything done.

Windows Blue is just the codename.
Yes, for the new OS.

It's not 100 percent sure that either/both of these options will be baked into the final Blue release, which is expected to be released to manufacturing on or around August 2013. I guess we'll have a better indication once the next milestone build, a.k.a. the Blue Preview, leaks — or when the public version of that preview goes live around June.

"Until it ships, anything can change," said my source, who requested anonymity.

Microsoft's Windows 8 Plan B(lue): Bring back the Start button, boot to desktop | ZDNet

Yes, for the new OS.

It's not 100 percent sure that either/both of these options will be baked into the final Blue release, which is expected to be released to manufacturing on or around August 2013. I guess we'll have a better indication once the next milestone build, a.k.a. the Blue Preview, leaks — or when the public version of that preview goes live around June.

"Until it ships, anything can change," said my source, who requested anonymity.

Microsoft's Windows 8 Plan B(lue): Bring back the Start button, boot to desktop | ZDNet

Not new so much as updated, in my opinion. When I think of a "new" operating system, I think of something like XP to Vista.

Not new so much as updated, in my opinion. When I think of a "new" operating system, I think of something like XP to Vista.
I don't know what to tell you. Go with what we are being informed of, or go with your own opinion?
I know what I choose.

I don't know what to tell you. Go with what we are being informed of, or go with your own opinion?
I know what I choose.

Now, if unnamed sources are to be believed, Windows Blue is both of those things: a major update to Windows 8, and also the beginning of a major shift that will result in a major release of Windows every 12 months — just like Apple’s OS X.
Windows Blue: Microsoft’s plan to release a new version of Windows every year | ExtremeTech

The Verge has learned from several sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans that the company is planning to standardize on an approach, codenamed Blue, across Windows and Windows Phone in an effort to provide more regular updates to consumers.

Originally unveiled by ZDNet, the update on the Windows side, due in mid-2013, will include UI changes and alterations to the entire platform and pricing.

Sources tell us that Microsoft will likely keep the Windows 8 name for the foreseeable future, despite the Windows Blue update.
Windows Blue is Microsoft's future low-cost OS with yearly updates | The Verge

shrug.gif

67146495d1366772457-microsoft-dump-windows-8-shrug.gif
:shrug: Exactly!

Whether windows blue is their cheaper OS for the masses, or just a concession regarding he unpopular Metro interface, hopefully it just works reliably. XP was their best attempt at reliability, but it was a security nightmare. Vista tried to address security but it wasn't reliable. And windows 8 was enough of both to be a solid OS.

Linux may sound like an attractive alternative, but it can be daunting if you have used a "nix" platform before. As a long time Linux user and fan, I still cannot recommend it to most people. Even the most stable releases are eventually going to require a good bit of work in a command prompt window. However, if you don't mind that and enjoy learning the system, it can be a very rewarding experience. I dual-boot windows 8 and Ubuntu linux. The linux drive allows me to work without as many distractions as windows (not many good 3d games to tempt me) and gives me a backup OS which I can use to save any windows issues safely.

Back
Top Bottom