• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Microsoft Buys Bethesda

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/09/21/microsoft-have-bought-bethesda/

Microsoft just announced they’ve bought ZeniMax Media, the parent company of Bethesda. The developers of games such as Skyrim, Fallout, Dishonored, Prey, Doom, Quake and all those classics are now technically Xbox Game Studios. Xbox boss Phil Spencer made a post welcoming the developers, in what he calls a “landmark step” for both Microsoft and Bethesda.

I see no way this turns out well for anyone but Microsoft. Fans especially could be screwed. The only thing that saves this from being a complete disaster is that most of those companies where already on a downward spiral towards console styled kiddy play.

I see no way this turns out well for anyone but Microsoft. Fans especially could be screwed. The only thing that saves this from being a complete disaster is that most of those companies where already on a downward spiral towards console styled kiddy play.

Why are you so negative on this news?

Bethesda was on a downward spiral of massive note, Fallout 76 is evidence enough of this.

This is fantastic news because Microsoft has for the past 2 years come to the realization that when it came to content, they really had a massive leg behind Sony and they needed some big hitters.

They now have Elder Scrolls, they now have Fallout, they now have Starfield, I actually think this will save those titles, it will come to Xbox Games Pass PC and Xbox, they may allow Bethesda to reinvest in their aging engine to be able to fix the general downward trend of those games.

I'm actually very happy with this.

PS: I want Oblivion Remastered.

Bethesda was on a downward spiral of massive note, Fallout 76 is evidence enough of this.

This is fantastic news because Microsoft has for the past 2 years come to the realization that when it came to content, they really had a massive leg behind Sony and they needed some big hitters.

They now have Elder Scrolls, they now have Fallout, they now have Starfield, I actually think this will save those titles, it will come to Xbox Games Pass PC and Xbox, they may allow Bethesda to reinvest in their aging engine to be able to fix the general downward trend of those games.

PS: I want Morrowwind Remastered.

So where is my Fallout: New Vegas remaster?

The engine is not the problem with these games, it is making them console friendly. You can do so much more with a keyboard and mouse, but since the games have to be made for controllers, that power goes unused. Also, console games are more action oriented.

But the big reason I am negative on this is exemplified by MS Flight Simulator 2020, where modders had to go in and fix the game because, being a MS product, they had to use Bing Maps for their mapping, instead of the much superior google maps.

The engine is not the problem with these games, it is making them console friendly. You can do so much more with a keyboard and mouse, but since the games have to be made for controllers, that power goes unused. Also, console games are more action oriented.

Let's not get too PC Master Race there, I don't think the games suffer simply because they also need to be made for Console.

More and more, there are plenty of more complicated PC games coming to console, they can be tricky but I don't you're being a bit too hostile to console, especially now that Microsoft Offers plenty of games for the PC Games Pass, I got to play Crusader Kings 3 and Wasteland 3, superb titles I would not have bought but was extremely glad I Got to try.

Xbox Games Pass, is today one of the best deals in gaming hands down, if not THE BEST.

But the big reason I am negative on this is exemplified by MS Flight Simulator 2020, where modders had to go in and fix the game because, being a MS product, they had to use Bing Maps for their mapping, instead of the much superior google maps.

I'm not going to argue with you that Google Maps is better and I was disappointed I could not run MS Flight Sim, but I'll have to wait til it's out on the Series X to get the most out of it, but it is still a spectacular game from what I've seen when it runs well.

And you want to talk about modders that have to go in and fix the game?

That's Bethesda in a nutshell.

It used to be a joke about how buggy their games were, now it's not as funny, especially when, if you want it on Switch with those same bugs and no modding to fix them, it's still 60 bucks.

Counterpoint: Microsoft generally likes to finish a product before releasing it to the public.
Then clearly you have not used Windows in the past 15 years or seen much of the hardware they have released.

It might be good for them, especially if they kick tod howard out of decision making, as his answer to everything is a skyrim remake, how many times does a company need to remake skyrim, why can't they just make the next damn game!

The fact it is nearly a decade since skyrim came out, and they are still dumping most of their recources into skyrim remakes and ports says the company was heading the path of ea and activision, ie milking a franchise with the least effort before scrapping it for a quick buck. I hope microsoft sees the big bucks the elder scrolls 6 can make and puts it at top priority.

PS: I want Morrowwind Remastered.
I think daggerfall with the graphics in a modern engine and the ui streamlined would be good, heck just the modern graphics, I really liked the old arena-morrowing style of poor quest systems forcing you to talk to everyone and write stuff down on paper because quest logs were nearly useless.

Then clearly you have not used Windows in the past 15 years or seen much of the hardware they have released.

I have not had any serious issues since XP with the exception of a brief stint with Vista, which eventually corrected itself and was minor anyway. I am a film editor.
No, not some script kiddie who sits in Starbucks with a laptop.
I use the "big iron".

PS: XP wasn't terrible, it's just that 32 bit sucks, which is why I never understood why people thought
the old Final Cut was so great, it was 32 bit all the way till they rolled out Final Cut X and meanwhile
applications on both PC and Linux had been 64-bit top to bottom for six years already.

Jeff edit bay Aug 19 2020a.jpg

To play devil's advocate for a moment (because I do not "hate" Apple) one of the reasons Apple users love Apple
so much is because Apple does not allow hardly anything that is not inside their "walled garden".
It's like the old Ma Bell "Telephone Company" before the Carterphone decision and before the breakup.
Back then ALL Bell System equipment was Western Electric and no outside gear was allowed.
This enabled Ma Bell to exercise 100% quality control, much the way Apple gets to do.

Life in PC world is nothing like that, you can get any hardware from any company and use any software you like.
But the result is, if people don't know what they're doing, they may get burned.
Back in the very early days of PC based nonlinear video editing, most companies had a template or blueprint that
stated which hardware and software was certified to run.
For example, if you had an AVID system on Windows, AVID told you what hardware you had to use, NO exceptions, and
the early AVID software simply would not even start or run if your hardware wasn't exactly as specified.
Thus all AVID workstations were consistent, just as Apple is today.
Same with Pinnacle. A Pinnacle Systems editing workstation was built according to certified specs and Pinnacle wouldn't even boot up if something was configured wrong or hardware was not exactly as specified.

Along about maybe 2000 or so a lot of other companies began to loosen the restrictions, you could run Adobe Premiere on almost any laptop or desktop machine. It might not run particularly well on an underpowered rig but it did run.
The big joke among power users is the PC "mininum system requirements" to run a particular piece of software.
I use DaVinci Resolve and Sony Vegas the most for editing and both of them claim you only need 2GB of RAM.
Yeah, right!

But I imagine tons of people try to run stuff using that typical MSR profile and then they wonder why it crashes.
My old flamethrower never hiccups...ever.
And I haven't even had a virus or malware attack in...something like twenty years.
Worst I've ever experienced is a couple of browser hijack exploits, which were easily removed.

I appreciate Apple's "it just works" approach but that's if you don't know how to build.
I used to build a lot but in the last ten years I just pay someone who's even better to do it for me instead.
I do know what I need but I can't see well enough to read the microscopic crap on the circuit boards anymore and wiring that stuff up is a huge PITA for me, so I pay someone else to go blind doing it instead.

I have not had any serious issues since XP with the exception of a brief stint with Vista, which eventually corrected itself and was minor anyway. I am a film editor.
I use the "big iron".

PS: XP wasn't terrible, it's just that 32 bit sucks, which is why I never understood why people thought
the old Final Cut was so great, it was 32 bit all the way till they rolled out Final Cut X and meanwhile
applications on both PC and Linux had been 64-bit top to bottom for six years already.

View attachment 67296932

To play devil's advocate for a moment (because I do not "hate" Apple) one of the reasons Apple users love Apple
so much is because Apple does not allow hardly anything that is not inside their "walled garden".
It's like the old Ma Bell "Telephone Company" before the Carterphone decision and before the breakup.
Back then ALL Bell System equipment was Western Electric and no outside gear was allowed.
This enabled Ma Bell to exercise 100% quality control, much the way Apple gets to do.

Life in PC world is nothing like that, you can get any hardware from any company and use any software you like.
But the result is, if people don't know what they're doing, they may get burned.
Back in the very early days of PC based nonlinear video editing, most companies had a template or blueprint that
For example, if you had an AVID system on Windows, AVID told you what hardware you had to use, NO exceptions, and
the early AVID software simply would not even start or run if your hardware wasn't exactly as specified.
Same with Pinnacle. A Pinnacle Systems editing workstation was built according to certified specs and Pinnacle wouldn't even boot up if something was configured wrong or hardware was not exactly as specified.

Along about maybe 2000 or so a lot of other companies began to loosen the restrictions, you could run Adobe Premiere on almost any laptop or desktop machine. It might not run particularly well on an underpowered rig but it did run.
The big joke among power users is the PC "mininum system requirements" to run a particular piece of software.
I use DaVinci Resolve and Sony Vegas the most for editing and both of them claim you only need 2GB of RAM.
Yeah, right!

But I imagine tons of people try to run stuff using that typical MSR profile and then they wonder why it crashes.
And I haven't even had a virus or malware attack in...something like twenty years.
Worst I've ever experienced is a couple of browser hijack exploits, which were easily removed.

I appreciate Apple's "it just works" approach but that's if you don't know how to build.
I used to build a lot but in the last ten years I just pay someone who's even better to do it for me instead.
I do know what I need but I can't see well enough to read the microscopic crap on the circuit boards anymore and wiring that stuff up is a huge PITA for me, so I pay someone else to go blind doing it instead.

Xp was available in 64 bit as well but was terrible.

Now saying windows has been good I disagree, each new version has been plagued with problems, even xp though xp was praised because all it's flaws were still less than what it replaced, the dreaded windows me.

I have had memory leak issues since windows 8 on and off, many viruses on win 7, just today I had to do a restore, not sure if a virus or a driver or software failure, windows would work for 5 minutes then go into sleep mode, then cycle in and out of it. infact after reloading while saving files it still does it, but goes forever when not in windows.

So I had to post this off a linux laptop while my desktop is having issues.

Now saying windows has been good I disagree, each new version has been plagued with problems, even xp though xp was praised because all it's flaws were still less than what it replaced, the dreaded windows me.

I have had memory leak issues since windows 8 on and off, many viruses on win 7, just today I had to do a restore, not sure if a virus or a driver or software failure, windows would work for 5 minutes then go into sleep mode, then cycle in and out of it. infact after reloading while saving files it still does it, but goes forever when not in windows.

You didn't read what I said.

I had a similar problem with Windows years ago and if I remember right it was a hardware problem. In my case it was the battery. As soon as I took out the battery (good old laptop with detachable battery) it ran with no problems. Ordered a new battery and then it worked just fine.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

I use the "big iron".

View attachment 67296932

Yeah, right!

Thing is, Apple does not just work...far from it. Apple for example has Wi-Fi issues almost every couple of years... How on earth can that happen on new hardware and its WiFi..... My coffee maker can make that work and Apple can't? Or the most idiotic one, iOS for 3 years running screwing up alarms at new years or/and summer time/winter time changes.

There are other quality issues in all their products and of course their design issues..everyone remembers the wireless magic mouse that requires a wire stuck up on the bottom to charge mean you can't use it while charging.

Now the issue with Windows is of course the 1000 different hardware configurations and 3rd party programs that can screw something up. No matter how much checking you do, you can't find all potential problems. Apple of course don't have that excuse.

I read about lots of issues with Windows 10 updates and certain pro Apple media love pushing the narrative, but I betcha it does not effect many people and it is most likely due people running ancient hardware or software.

Now that does not mean there are not universal bugs and issues. New search for example started out promising and has gone down hill since much to the glee of Apple users who after a decade of horrible search function in Macos, got Spotlight which is some what usable.

And don't get me started on Linux and it's issues...

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

This is really only going to be a problem for Playstation owners. They've said they will be making Bethesda PC / XBox only. That sucks, but honestly, Bethesda has been played out for a while now. It'll be cool to see what new RPG's emerge for PS5 in the vacuum.

I’m currently playing Fallout 4, good stuff! I also reinstalled Fallout 3 and modded it with all the new graphics mods. These older games have had many of the bugs squashed, and are inexpensive.
My PC can run them maxed out at a high frame rate. Ya, I’m a cheapskate.:)

NCR or bust.

I'm more of a Followers of the Apocalypse guy myself.

Caesar's Legion is impressive in that it is the only ideological movement I have seen that makes Fascism look positively gentle if not effete by comparison.

I'm more of a Followers of the Apocalypse guy myself.

Caesar's Legion is impressive in that it is the only ideological movement I have seen that makes Fascism look positively gentle if not effete by comparison.
Damn it, now I have to get New Vegas.

‘We’re comparing to Bethesda, though.

Back
Top Bottom