• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Microsoft "Briefcase"

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I just recently learned about the briefcase feature on windows - and decided to use this to keep my files in sync between desktop and tablet (a new purchase - to forgo using my cellphone for files on the go).

At first, how the briefcase worked was confusing, even after reading 'how to's' - it's a simple concept, but I was puzzled as to how it kept up with things. So I set up a test briefcase - and thought I figured it out with a few test runs and so on.

The only issue I have, now, is when I create new files...

Example: the briefcase originated from my desktop. I filled it with files / folders - and then copied the briefcase to my mini SD so I could use that in my tablet. Updates for these original files works just fine both ways (and it's rather cool, honestly).

Only, when I create new files outside of the briefcase, and copy that into the briefcase from either location, it doesn't create those new files in the other briefcase. It will, however, update all new files I create if I create them, and then manually copy them into both briefcases.

Now: I'm not sure if A) it's even supposed to create the new file that I add into the original briefcase, or the 2nd briefcase on my mini SD drive. (this is not discussed at all in any of the 'how to' things I read.) B) If it is supposed to, then why isn't it doing it?

I don't mind copying newly created files manually because I only need to do it once, and it will update after that.

I just need to know if I have the briefcase feature figured out right, or if I'm doing it all wrong and that's why it's not working right.

I just realized this isn't even necessary. I don't NEED to swap files with the miniSD - I can just tether my tablet to the comp with it's cable.

Unlike the iphone which relied on Itunes (which was wholly useless and unreliable for MY needs, which I swear are simple: photos / videos / text files) - plugging my tablet in gives me full access to files that I can exchange manually. . .even simpler than using the mini SD and the briefcase function.

Voila.

Oh - and cooler still (I think I'm just jazzed I ditched the iphone as far as my "laptop" needs go) I can access the mini SD card while it's in my tablet via the USB tether. And I can get on the internet from my tablet, which kicks ass because I'm not the only one around here who uses it. (Of course, this last part isn't related to the manual tethering)

Last edited:
Somebody told us when we bought an iPad that it would automatically sync between our iPad and our iPhone when we were in range of each other, so everything on one would be available on the other. I still haven't figured it out yet.

The 'syncing myths' :)

I figured out the briefcase - it's even easier than I thought it was, actually. The issue I was running into was that I was making *a copy - a duplicate* of the briefcase. That's not what you do. You just take the physical 'briefcase' and actually transport it to your thumb or other drive.

So - when my tablet is plugged into my computer I just click "Aunt Spiker's Briefcase" and drag/drop to the 'Card' inside my tablet.

Working on the tablet: I write / modify / create / add files within the briefcase - and then plug my tablet back into the computer and drag and drop "Aunt Spiker's Briefcase" back into the original location - it then swaps files *inside* the briefcase . . . when I click "update all" - it then alter the files that are on the desktop and OUTSIDE the briefcase.

Key note: cannot change file names or original locations. IF I do I have to re-do the briefcase process for them (by copying them from their original location into the briefcase). But that's okay. I think I can survive.

The tablet doesn't "recognize" the briefcase - but that doesn't matter, it doesn't have to recognize it in the same way, it just has to treat it like a file-folder. Windows will recognize it when I carry it back over (I had to do a few test runs to make sure)

So. . .I've set up two briefcases - one on a thumb drive as an occasional backup and the other to go back and forth between tablet and PC.

No wi-fi or blue tooth needed, simple swaps and it's all good.

Somebody told us when we bought an iPad that it would automatically sync between our iPad and our iPhone when we were in range of each other, so everything on one would be available on the other. I still haven't figured it out yet.

I don't have iPad but I think it works by bluetooth and you have to first 'register' or probably more accurately 'allow' connections to each other (allow MAC addresses). At least that is what it seems as I saw two co-workers doing something like this.

Back
Top Bottom