• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michigan shooting suspect's parents willfully disregarded signs that their son was a threat

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The filing details Ethan Crumbley's state of mind in the six months before the shooting, saying his parents were aware that he was "sadder than usual," that his only friend had moved away, and that he was sending his mother disturbing texts about his state of mind.

Prosecutors allege that while their son was struggling, his parents spent several hours a night, three to four nights a week, at a barn caring for their horses and that one of the parents was having extramarital affairs.
The filing emphasizes the defendants were focused on their "own issues," including "substance abuse issues."

Prosecutors also allege that Ethan Crumbley had been torturing animals and kept a "baby bird's head in a jar on his bedroom floor."

"Instead of paying attention to their son and getting him help, they bought him a gun," the filing states.

Prosecutors also allege in the filing that after the shooting the Crumbleys retained attorneys for themselves but not their son and that Jennifer Crumbley said to a co-worker and in a text that "her son's destiny is done and she has to take care of herself."

Prosecutors accuse the Crumbleys of "willful disregard" of the clear evidence that their son posed a serious risk to other students on the day of the shooting and argue that all the parents had to do was tell the school they'd recently purchased a gun for him, ask him where the gun was, open his backpack "or just take him home."

Prosecutors said their case against the couple is strong and "even stronger" than it was when they were arraigned.

The parents should be charged and thrown in prison. It's a damn shame these parents bought their kid a gun. What is wrong with society where parents are buying their underaged mentally deranged son a gun?

So much for responsible gun owners. Give me a break!

Last edited:

The parents should be charged and thrown in prison. It's a damn shame these parents bought their kid a gun. What is wrong with society where parents are buying their underaged mentally deranged son a gun?

A gun is not a present for a child.

Is it illegal to buy a gun for (supervised use by) a person who is "sadder than usual"?

The parents should be charged for breaking no law?

I could just as easily condemn "responsible car owners", citing a single example where the parents gave Jr the keys, knowing he had a problem with intoxicants, and Jr subsequently caused a ten-car pileup killing three.

Lots more traffic deaths and injuries.

Or we could talk about the 60 million gun owners who didn't do what these people did, and the however many million car owners who didn't. Perspective.

If you take the viewpoint that everytime one person ****s up, a right should be taken from millions, we'd have no rights at all.

nobody ever much talks about the parents of the dead kids/people this far after they were slaughtered.

well, unless some asshole like Alex Jones pulls his bullshit.

What I got from it is that the Crumbleys are (accused of being) bad people. They didn't pay enough attention to their son and one of them was an adulterer. Also they owned horses, which is relevant somehow.

They were a flight risk. Bunch of scumbags.

Sure it is. I got one when I was 13
as did I-a 22 Browning BL-22 (lever action 22)., It was really cold that day, but my dad drove me up to a guy's farm and we shot some pop cans. That was almost 50 years ago. Still remember it. Still have the gun, though my son might have it in his house.

jesus, Buck ... you're a little late to the game.

Those two sick right-wing gun-nut 'parents' were charged and locked in cages... (y)
yeah, most of the other gun haters had an orgasm of virtue signaling, bashing those two idiots weeks ago.

"after the shooting the Crumbleys retained attorneys for themselves but not their son and that Jennifer Crumbley said to a co-worker and in a text that "her son's destiny is done and she has to take care of herself."

There's the answer.

Brenda Spencer's father gave her a rifle for Christmas, the result was the Cleveland Elementary School shooting (1979 in San Diego). She was 16 and said she wanted a radio, instead he father bought her a rifle for Christmas 1978.
He was beyond irresponsible

The result was 2 people killed and eight injured.

She is still in prison.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Elementary_School_shooting_(San_Diego)
what do you think the percentages are-ie 1) kid given a 22 rifle for his or her teen birthday

2) the child going on a murder spree

1/1000
1/10,000
1/100K
1/1000000

what do you think the percentages are-ie 1) kid given a 22 rifle for his or her teen birthday

1/1000
1/10,000
1/100K
1/1000000

Well, if the teenage kid is living in poverty with an alcoholic old man, had apparently "spoken about shooting [a cop] and had talked of doing something big to get on television", "had an injury to the temporal lobe of her brain", "was suicidal", "was arrested for shooting out the windows of Grover Cleveland Elementary with a BB gun and for burglary", and was "recommended" for admission "to a mental hospital for depression" ... I'd have to say better than 1 in 2...

Well, if the teenage kid is living in poverty with an alcoholic old man, had apparently "spoken about shooting [a cop] and had talked of doing something big to get on television", "had an injury to the temporal lobe of her brain", "was suicidal", "was arrested for shooting out the windows of Grover Cleveland Elementary with a BB gun and for burglary", and was "recommended" for admission "to a mental hospital for depression" ... I'd have to say better than 1 in 2...

yeah, I would agree with you there. good song by the way. Sir Bob: good artist

There are no such signs. All such theories are pseudoscientific garbage.

1/1000
1/10,000
1/100K
1/1000000

The chances are 1/1, because it happened !!!

So like Kyle Rittenhouse, it wasn't her fault...damn Californian Republicans

If only that school was in Michigan.

And yet the vast majority of legal gun owners are in FACT responsible, aren't we? So, why say it like you just did?

When some a hole decides to drive his car 100mph through a residential neighborhood and ends up killing somebody, do you say, "so much for responsible drivers" to lump the rest of us, including YOU, into what some self absorbed idiot with driver's license did?

I'll bet you don't.

And yet the vast majority of legal gun owners are in FACT responsible, aren't we? So, why say it like you just did?

When some a hole decides to drive his car 100mph through a residential neighborhood and ends up killing somebody, do you say, "so much for responsible drivers" to lump the rest of us, including YOU, into what some self absorbed idiot with driver's license did?

I'll bet you don't.

Yet, if cars are killing pedestrians in some suburb, we "punish" everyone by reducing the speed limit.

Yet, if cars are killing pedestrians in some suburb, we "punish" everyone by reducing the speed limit.
If cars are killing pedestrians, we need to reconsider this autonomous vehicle stuff.

Back
Top Bottom