• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michigan rep to fellow lawmaker: I hope ‘your car explodes’

Luce

Weaponized Funk
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — A Michigan lawmaker told another lawmaker that he hoped her “car explodes on the way in,” according to text messages filed in court to support a request for a personal protection order.

“You’re truly the worst human being I’ve ever met. I mean that with the utmost sincerity. Just a parasite,” Rep. Steve Marino told Rep. Mari Manoogian.

Marino, a Macomb County Republican, and Manoogian, an Oakland County Democrat, had a personal relationship that ended more than a year ago.

Manoogian, 29, obtained a protection order last week from a judge, a few days after Marino, 32, was removed from House committees for alleged abuse. State police are investigating.

But wait! It gets better!

Marino said he hoped Manoogian’s “car explodes on the way in” and warned her to “hide on the House floor” in a series of texts in which they also discussed issues being handled by a state House committee.

What the hell is wrong with the GOP? This is not normal behavior.

Also: Don't date republicans. It doesn't seem to end well.

The problem with Republicans is their voting base are a bunch of moronic, terrorist scumbags and they are pandering to them

Why date Republicans when you have Andrew Cuomo around?

Rep. Mari Manoogian gets protection order against Harrison Township lawmaker

Whataboutism gives a clue to its meaning in its name. It is not merely the changing of a subject to deflect away from an earlier subject as a political strategy; it’s essentially a reversal of accusation, arguing that an opponent is guilty of an offense just as egregious or worse than what the original party was accused of doing, however unconnected the offenses may be.

The tactic behind whataboutism has been around for a long time. Rhetoricians generally consider it to be a form of tu quoque, which means "you too" in Latin and involves charging your accuser with whatever it is you've just been accused of rather than refuting the truth of the accusation made against you. Tu quoque is considered to be a logical fallacy, because whether or not the original accuser is likewise guilty of an offense has no bearing on the truth value of the original accusation.

Texted it. What a dumbass.
This is going to require Olympic-quality spin-doctoring.

That guy in the picture is a Michigan House rep? He looks about twelve!

He'd better hope nothing happens to her. And if something does, that he has a good alibi. What an ass.

Before I even read the article, just from the headline I KNEW it was going to be a GOP politician threatening violence against someone else. It's almost a daily occurrence now.
This isn't a Republican vs Democrat thing. They dated for four months and had a nasty breakup. People say many things in these situations. The breakup happened a year ago, but she reported the situation last week. Police are investigating - I would let them do that.

The interesting thing is that she requested and was granted a TRO. It's not clear how this affects situations where they would both need to be present in the Capitol, such as with a floor vote.

“Character assassination!”

The problem with the GOP is that somehow the Trump-Republican nutters have gained influence. Probably because Trump-Republican nutters keep voting in nutter candidates.

The interesting thing is that she requested and was granted a TRO. It's not clear how this affects situations where they would both need to be present in the Capitol, such as with a floor vote.
I imagine the Speaker is going to have to make an accommodation. One votes then leaves so the other can enter and vote. Not sure how debates would work though.

Because the idiot did not threaten anyone and at least unlike republicans he did not go after underage girls.
Now take your moronic crap and go away.

Back
Top Bottom