• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michigan cop on Black man's back, fatally shot him

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The link: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/michigan-city-release-video-death-police-officer-84062561

The headline: Video: Michigan cop on Black man's back, fatally shot him

The lede: GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- A Black man face-down on the ground was fatally shot in the back of the head by a Michigan police officer, the violent climax of a traffic stop, brief foot chase and struggle over a stun gun, according to videos of the April 4 incident released Wednesday.

The comment: Guns. Again. Another person dead. Perhaps we should seek less-deadly ways for the police to effectively subdue people than shooting them with the intent to kill them.

Guns.

Again.

Another person dead.

Regards, stay safe 'n well . . . 'n un-shot.

Note: I reply to all who quote my posts, excepting only those whose posts I no longer read.

The skin color of both men to me is irrelevant. The video shows the police officer lying on his back and shooting him in the head execution style. That is wrong.

Skin color of the victim in a single event may be irrelevant. That there are a disproportionate number of POC killed in traffic stops, etc., then the skin color and being killed by LEO is relevant.

Skin color of the victim in a single event may be irrelevant. That there are a disproportionate number of POC killed in traffic stops, etc., then the skin color and being killed by LEO is relevant.

I don’t know if this is true for a fact, although the preponderance of the available evidence says it probably is.

Remember that law enforcement officials have worked hard to prevent reliable statistics on police shooting and their circumstances from being reported to any national data base.

Many agencies do not report shootings by police at all.

The Ahmed Avery case draws a line under that fact.

Disproportionate to what exactly? Fleeing the cops and assaulting an officer to steal his taser and shoot him with it? All because the cop asked for your drivers license?

The link: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/michigan-city-release-video-death-police-officer-84062561

The lede: GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- A Black man face-down on the ground was fatally shot in the back of the head by a Michigan police officer, the violent climax of a traffic stop, brief foot chase and struggle over a stun gun, according to videos of the April 4 incident released Wednesday.

The comment: Guns. Again. Another person dead. Perhaps we should seek less-deadly ways for the police to effectively subdue people than shooting them with the intent to kill them.

Guns.

Again.

Another person dead.

Note: I reply to all who quote my posts, excepting only those whose posts I no longer read.

Here's a tip to avoid being shot by a cop: don't break the law, and then fight with him and take his Tazer away from him when he tries to arrest you.

Hey, check that out. It's "three strikes" all in one sentence.

Just another incident showing all the reasons cops should NEVER engage blacks.

How about this scenario.

This whole thing was over a vehicle registration kerfuffle.

Maybe don’t chase a guy down putting yourself into danger that would then lead to deadly force over the tags on a ****ing car?

How about we do that for a little while?

How about this scenario.

Maybe don’t chase a guy down putting yourself into danger that would then lead to deadly force over the tags on a ****ing car?

That’s what I’m saying. Blacks are naturally and properly afraid of police and MUST run away, assault and resist by any means necessary any attempt by a cop to stop them. The centuries of abuse at the hand of whites leave blacks no recourse but to resist and, if a cop is involved, to die trying to escape the tyranny of the white system

That’s what I’m saying. Blacks are naturally and properly afraid of police and MUST run away, assault and resist by any means necessary any attempt by a cop to stop them. The centuries of abuse at the hand of whites leave blacks no recourse but to resist and, if a cop is involved, to die trying to escape the tyranny of the white system
Concern trolling aside.

There is no reason for an officer to put themselves into a situation that could escalate to deadly force over car tags.

How about this scenario.

Please expand on that theory. How exactly do we enforce the vehicle registration laws (not to mention catching car thieves) in your world, if we don't allow cops to pull over people with tags that don't match their vehicle?

Please expand on that theory. How exactly do we enforce the vehicle registration laws in your world, if we don't allow cops to pull over people with tags that don't match their vehicle?
I am not saying that they can’t pull people over… but getting into a physical altercation where the person can grab your taser and you are forced to shoot them in the back of the head over vehicle registration is a clear failure in how policing works in this country.

I am not saying that they can’t pull people over… but getting into a physical altercation where the person can grab your taser and you are forced to shoot them in the back of the head over vehicle registration is a clear failure in how policing works in this country.

I don't understand. What do you think the cop should have done in this situation? Just let the guy run away? Do you WANT more violent criminals on our streets?

Concern trolling aside.

There is no reason for an officer to put themselves into a situation that could escalate to deadly force over car tags.
Right. And since ANY situation can escalate like that then cops simply shouldn’t respond to crimes. They can come in and do the paperwork after the fact. Much more neat and clean that way

I don't understand. What do you think the cop should have done in this situation? Just let the guy run away? Do you WANT more violent criminals on our streets?
There was no indication that he was violent before he ran away. No indication that he would commit violence. Running away is not a violent act.

The car is in the cop’s possession.

They know what he looks like.

There are ways of dealing with this so as to not have people shot in the back of the head.

Right. And since ANY situation can escalate like that then cops simply shouldn’t respond to crimes. They can come in and do the paperwork after the fact. Much more neat and clean that way
That is a straw man

This was a traffic stop that ended with a dead body.

To see that as something that is normal shows that this country is truly losing it.

Yes but that isn't what I posted about.

I don't care what color anyone is in this story. There is no reason for a police officer to shoot someone execution style in the back of the head when he is laying on that person's back. Period.

Disproportionate to what exactly? Fleeing the cops and assaulting an officer to steal his taser and shoot him with it? All because the cop asked for your drivers license?
Yes. Even if the car was STOLEN it did not justify the officer's responses (it's a property crime, yanno). If that's too difficult to process, it's not the fault of anyone else. But, being wrong on the reality, I guess it's "logical" to resort to lying about the circumstances.

Guns.

Again.

Another person dead.

We have been told color is irrelevant. If the cop was black would this be a story?

How about this scenario.

LMAO. That was amazing ^^^^^

Yes. Even if the car was STOLEN it did not justify the officer's responses (it's a property crime, yanno). If that's too difficult to process, it's not the fault of anyone else. But, being wrong on the reality, I guess it's "logical" to resort to lying about the circumstances.
Rodney King would still be above room temp if he had not run from the law. Just like a person dying of Covid who refused the vaccine

What we see here on DP time after time is that certain posters just dont seem to care about our laws being enforced

We have two here that make it seem like letting the guy run away would have been the right thing

Does it matter what type of laws were broken? Was the man acting rationally? What is it about people that thinking that resisting and fighting the police is going to be a GOOD THING

Do i like another human being dying in the street? no.....

Is this the fault of the cop or the person fighting the cop though? Doesnt take that much thought really, does it?

Back
Top Bottom