• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michigan cop on Black man's back, fatally shot him

How did Taylor fail to comply with officers?
taylor was the tenant of an apartment where a warrant was being served
her boyfriend fired at the police officers serving the warrant
the police fired back
pro tip: police get to defend themselves, too
How did Castille fail to comply with officers?
castille was a policing failure. the only mitigating factor was yanez, the LEO, pulled the car based on another LEO's radioed transmission that the occupants match the description of a just reported robbery. the LEO would have been more apprehensive knowing that possible connection (which was not a valid one)
in this instance the victim did comply with the police instructions and still was killed by the cop
How did the folks shot holding cell phones fail to comply with officers.
so glad you want to discuss the stephon clark shooting:
released from jail a month prior to the shooting
on probation for an armed robbery conviction
coke, pot, hydrocodone, codeine in his system
pursued earler when he assaulted the face of the mother of his child, was still on probation from two previous domestic violence convictions
spotted by police helicopter breaking auto and home windows with a metal bar
when confronted by police on the ground and told to stop and hold up his hands the perp fled to the rear of the property
cops shouted hold up your hands, followed by gun, gun, gun at which time clark turned toward the police and pointed an object (the phone - his girlfriend's) at the police who then fired, killing the 22 year old
glad you wanted to use this as an example of police wrongdoing while the perp was compliant with LEO instructions

In the last 5 minutes of his life how did George Floyd "fail to comply" with officers?
store owner called police on floyd saying he was out of control, drunk, and passing fake money. he had refused to return the purchase he had made to the store owners who believed he had paid with counterfeit cash
when police approached floyd in his vehicle he would not respond to police directive to show his hands
after getting floyd to exit the car there was an altercation between the LEO and floyd, who was then cuffed and arrested
****ing alter boy behavior during his police encounter
let's begin a list of police killings and identify the race of the perp, the race of the cop doing the shooting, and how compliant the person was who got shot
my speculation is that most of these shootings will involve juveniles/young adults who either did not hear the talk or did not heed the advice they had been given in the talk

taylor was the tenant of an apartment where a warrant was being served
her boyfriend fired at the police officers serving the warrant
the police fired back
pro tip: police get to defend themselves, too
Except that the police lied to get the warrant.
"The first indictment — charging Jaynes and Meany in connection with the allegedly false warrant — contains four counts. Count One charges that Jaynes and Meany, while acting in their official capacities as officers, willfully deprived Taylor of her constitutional rights by drafting and approving a false affidavit to obtain a search warrant for Taylor’s home. The indictment alleges that Jaynes and Meany knew that the affidavit contained false and misleading statements, omitted material facts, relied on stale information, and was not supported by probable cause. The indictment also alleges that Jaynes and Meany knew that the execution of the search warrant would be carried out by armed LMPD officers, and could create a dangerous situation both for those officers and for anyone who happened to be in Taylor’s home. According to the charges, the officers tasked with executing the warrant were not involved in drafting the warrant affidavit and were not aware that it was false. This count alleges that the offense resulted in Taylor’s death."
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/curr...officers-charged-federal-crimes-related-death
castille was a policing failure. the only mitigating factor was yanez, the LEO, pulled the car based on another LEO's radioed transmission that the occupants match the description of a just reported robbery. the LEO would have been more apprehensive knowing that possible connection (which was not a valid one)
in this instance the victim did comply with the police instructions and still was killed by the cop
Bingo
so glad you want to discuss the stephon clark shooting:
released from jail a month prior to the shooting
on probation for an armed robbery conviction
coke, pot, hydrocodone, codeine in his system
pursued earler when he assaulted the face of the mother of his child, was still on probation from two previous domestic violence convictions
spotted by police helicopter breaking auto and home windows with a metal bar
when confronted by police on the ground and told to stop and hold up his hands the perp fled to the rear of the property
cops shouted hold up your hands, followed by gun, gun, gun at which time clark turned toward the police and pointed an object (the phone - his girlfriend's) at the police who then fired, killing the 22 year old
glad you wanted to use this as an example of police wrongdoing while the perp was compliant with LEO instructions
Actually I was thinking Andre Hill.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/andre-hill-shot-times-columbus-police-officer-autopsy/story?id=76724709

And of Corey Jones:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/former...g-of-corey-jones-florida-man-waiting-for-tow/
store owner called police on floyd saying he was out of control, drunk, and passing fake money. he had refused to return the purchase he had made to the store owners who believed he had paid with counterfeit cash
when police approached floyd in his vehicle he would not respond to police directive to show his hands
after getting floyd to exit the car there was an altercation between the LEO and floyd, who was then cuffed and arrested
****ing alter boy behavior during his police encounter
I am sorry but in the last 5 minutes of his life? How was he not complying?
Actually we have research that has already done that when it comes to use of force by police.

"On non-lethal uses of force, there are racial differences – sometimes quite large – in police use of force, even after controlling for a large set of controls designed to account for important contextual and behavioral factors at the time of the police-civilian interaction. As the intensity of use of force increases from putting hands on a civilian to striking them with a baton, the overall probability of such an incident occurring decreases but the racial difference remains roughly constant."

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/fryer/files/empirical_analysis_tables_figures.pdf

In order words..minorities, particularly black folks are more likely to be have forced used on them by police even when controlling for suspect compliance.

Except that the police lied to get the warrant.
"The first indictment — charging Jaynes and Meany in connection with the allegedly false warrant — contains four counts. Count One charges that Jaynes and Meany, while acting in their official capacities as officers, willfully deprived Taylor of her constitutional rights by drafting and approving a false affidavit to obtain a search warrant for Taylor’s home. The indictment alleges that Jaynes and Meany knew that the affidavit contained false and misleading statements, omitted material facts, relied on stale information, and was not supported by probable cause. The indictment also alleges that Jaynes and Meany knew that the execution of the search warrant would be carried out by armed LMPD officers, and could create a dangerous situation both for those officers and for anyone who happened to be in Taylor’s home. According to the charges, the officers tasked with executing the warrant were not involved in drafting the warrant affidavit and were not aware that it was false. This count alleges that the offense resulted in Taylor’s death."
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/curr...officers-charged-federal-crimes-related-death

Bingo

Actually I was thinking Andre Hill.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/andre-hill-shot-times-columbus-police-officer-autopsy/story?id=76724709

And of Corey Jones:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/former...g-of-corey-jones-florida-man-waiting-for-tow/

I am sorry but in the last 5 minutes of his life? How was he not complying?

Actually we have research that has already done that when it comes to use of force by police.

"On non-lethal uses of force, there are racial differences – sometimes quite large – in police use of force, even after controlling for a large set of controls designed to account for important contextual and behavioral factors at the time of the police-civilian interaction. As the intensity of use of force increases from putting hands on a civilian to striking them with a baton, the overall probability of such an incident occurring decreases but the racial difference remains roughly constant."

https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/fryer/files/empirical_analysis_tables_figures.pdf

In order words..minorities, particularly black folks are more likely to be have forced used on them by police even when controlling for suspect compliance.
The Castillo case was the only outlier of those we examined, where the black suspect it was killed after complying with the law enforcement officers directions. In each of the other instances there was an absence of cooperation with the police. Which is my point. The talk must be given to the kids and the kids must heed it
This is one major aspect of navigating successfully in our society

The Castillo case was the only outlier of those we examined, where the black suspect it was killed after complying with the law enforcement officers directions. In each of the other instances there was an absence of cooperation with the police. Which is my point. The talk must be given to the kids and the kids must heed it
This is one major aspect of navigating successfully in our society
You ignored
Taylor
Andre Hill
Corey Jones

Not to mention, ignored that Floyd was "complying".. for minutes while the officer continued to asphyxiate him.

You ignored the research that shows that when a white person and a black person have a police interaction. The black person is statistically more likely to have forced used on them.. DESPITE doing the same behavior as the white person.

You ignored all the examples of white people NOT complying with police egregiously even... and getting away with it.

Facts are not your friend.

You ignored
Taylor
Andre Hill
Corey Jones
you must not be reading very closely as i responded to every situation earlier mentioned as exculpating the behavior of the black person whose actions caused them to die of a police shooting
the only one of them that revealed the victim being shot after complying with police directives was castille
in every other instance the deceased were not compliant during the LEO encounter
Not to mention, ignored that Floyd was "complying".. for minutes while the officer continued to asphyxiate him.
his earlier non compliance got him into that arrest and subsequent exposure to excessive police response
you refuse to acknowledge that if these folks had been compliant upon their police encounter they would have been OK ... except for castille. he was fully compliant and it was not his fault the police believed he was escaping from an earlier robbery at the time he was pulled over. that WAS a reprehensible police response. they do happen, but they are rare. almost all deaths by police result from the perp refusing to cooperate with police directions
You ignored the research that shows that when a white person and a black person have a police interaction. The black person is statistically more likely to have forced used on them.. DESPITE doing the same behavior as the white person.
i disagree that it was the same behavior
it may have been the same suspicion by the police that caused the encounter, but i would surmise the perps' actions in response to police directives differed
You ignored all the examples of white people NOT complying with police egregiously even... and getting away with it.
please reveal the post number that listed all of those white survivors of encounters with police where they failed to heed the police directives but were spared when a black person acting the same way was not
Facts are not your friend.
then you should start using them to buttress your arguments because all you offer is unsubstantiated opinion ... and a questionable CV

you must not be reading very closely as i responded to every situation earlier mentioned as exculpating the behavior of the black person whose actions caused them to die of a police shooting
the only one of them that revealed the victim being shot after complying with police directives was castille
in every other instance the deceased were not compliant during the LEO encounter

his earlier non compliance got him into that arrest and subsequent exposure to excessive police response
you refuse to acknowledge that if these folks had been compliant upon their police encounter they would have been OK ... except for castille. he was fully compliant and it was not his fault the police believed he was escaping from an earlier robbery at the time he was pulled over. that WAS a reprehensible police response. they do happen, but they are rare. almost all deaths by police result from the perp refusing to cooperate with police directions

i disagree that it was the same behavior
it may have been the same suspicion by the police that caused the encounter, but i would surmise the perps' actions in response to police directives differed

please reveal the post number that listed all of those white survivors of encounters with police where they failed to heed the police directives but were spared when a black person acting the same way was not

then you should start using them to buttress your arguments because all you offer is unsubstantiated opinion ... and a questionable CV
Look.. I presented the evidence.
You chose to ignore it.
Cripes.. the study controlled for the actions of the white and black people and you state.. "it was the perps actions".
No.. the study controlled for that. The actions were the same.
again
Here is white people not being compliant and not being killed

https://www.revolt.tv/article/2020-08-28/71254/white-men-resisting-arrest-fighting-cops-videos/
\
"In a similar instance, as a police officer tries to arrest another white man, he resists arrest and takes the cops’ baton to beat them up. He then goes on to steal the police car, but no real attempt was made to restrain him. The white man got away without being shot or even tased despite his noncompliant behavior."

Have a nice day.

Yes, because non compliant black men are *always* killed, right?

Jesus christ.

Look.. I presented the evidence.
You chose to ignore it.
Cripes.. the study controlled for the actions of the white and black people and you state.. "it was the perps actions".
No.. the study controlled for that. The actions were the same.
again
i ask again
what was the post number containing that factual information ?
Here is white people not being compliant and not being killed
https://www.revolt.tv/article/2020-08-28/71254/white-men-resisting-arrest-fighting-cops-videos/
\
"In a similar instance, as a police officer tries to arrest another white man, he resists arrest and takes the cops’ baton to beat them up. He then goes on to steal the police car, but no real attempt was made to restrain him. The white man got away without being shot or even tased despite his noncompliant behavior."
what is your point, that the cops should have shot those perps?
if they had, for their failure to obey police commands, would you acknowledge that the use of such police force was justified? or not?
Have a nice day.
thank you, i plan on it

i ask again
what was the post number containing that factual information ?

what is your point, that the cops should have shot those perps?
if they had, for their failure to obey police commands, would you acknowledge that the use of such police force was justified? or not?

thank you, i plan on it
Start with 2104 2106 2102.
then go back and read every single one of my posts to you.

You know the point. Stop being purposely obtuse.

You claim that the reason that black people are having more force used against them is because of compliance.
And you ignore the studies that show that is wrong.
You ignore the studies that show police are more likely to dehumanize or have negative attitudes toward police
You ignore that evidence that black folks have a TALK to their children about being more compliant with police
You ignore the evidence of white people being non compliant and getting away with it.

Start with 2104 2106 2102.
then go back and read every single one of my posts to you.
yea
no
You know the point. Stop being purposely obtuse.

You claim that the reason that black people are having more force used against them is because of compliance.
nope
because of non-compliance with LEO directives
And you ignore the studies that show that is wrong.
you have presented no such studies and claim my asking for such cites is being obtuse
You ignore the studies that show police are more likely to dehumanize or have negative attitudes toward police
you have offered no such studies
and please explain why police would have negative attitudes toward the police
You ignore that evidence that black folks have a TALK to their children about being more compliant with police
never posted that. that you were unable to comprehend that reality is on you. within my posts, i strongly advocated for 'the talk' to be given to all juveniles, especially minority juveniles, and especially black juveniles
You ignore the evidence of white people being non compliant and getting away with it.
never have i pretended that white people have disrepected the LEOs during police encounters and then not been killed for the disrespect they displayed
what i have pointed to consistently is that one's expectation to walk away from a police encounter improves markedly when one follows the LEOs directives. it is those who fail to do so who are most likely to end up on the wrong side of the gun

it is disappointing that after our protracted debate that i had to explain the above to you

yea
no

nope
because of non-compliance with LEO directives

you have presented no such studies and claim my asking for such cites is being obtuse

you have offered no such studies
and please explain why police would have negative attitudes toward the police

never posted that. that you were unable to comprehend that reality is on you. within my posts, i strongly advocated for 'the talk' to be given to all juveniles, especially minority juveniles, and especially black juveniles

never have i pretended that white people have disrepected the LEOs during police encounters and then not been killed for the disrespect they displayed
what i have pointed to consistently is that one's expectation to walk away from a police encounter improves markedly when one follows the LEOs directives. it is those who fail to do so who are most likely to end up on the wrong side of the gun

it is disappointing that after our protracted debate that i had to explain the above to you
Whatever.
You have been given the evidence. You choose to ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom