• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michigan cop on Black man's back, fatally shot him

ok.

When was the last time the news reported that a black LEO shot a (pick your race)? Why make the emphasize the LEO race?

There are cases that a LEO has used deadly force without cause. There are cases that LEO's have been abusive to victims.
Those LEO's should be removed from law enforcement if found guilty of breaking policy with results in harm or death of a victim.

Last year was one example.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/21/1047...nced-minneapolis-police-911-australian-caller

ok.

When was the last time the news reported that a black LEO shot a (pick your race)? Why make the emphasize the LEO race?

There are cases that a LEO has used deadly force without cause. There are cases that LEO's have been abusive to victims.
Those LEO's should be removed from law enforcement if found guilty of breaking policy with results in harm or death of a victim.
If you have noticed, I have not focused on the race of the cop or the guy that he killed

That issue is separate one from what we deem as acceptable use of force and how we want to be policed.

So maybe instead of focusing on a weird grievance of “we don’t Hear about a black cop shooting a white guy” like it would make it somehow acceptable… maybe we should focus in on how police can do their jobs and not resort to deadly force.

I am not saying that they can’t pull people over… but getting into a physical altercation where the person can grab your taser and you are forced to shoot them in the back of the head over vehicle registration is a clear failure in how policing works in this country.
One wonders how the US-Police is trained for their work.
If they are trained at all.
Maybe they are just told: "Shoot first - and ask questions later ...."

I think I can relate.

I'm tired of all this.

One wonders how the US-Police is trained for their work.
If they are trained at all.
Maybe they are just told: "Shoot first - and ask questions later ...."
Do other countries have what seems to be an insurmountable problem with police killing people from what is a minor crime?

Do other countries have what seems to be an insurmountable problem with police killing people from what is a minor crime?
In civilized countries police very very rarely kill anybody.

I saw one also. The latest also show a clip of his social media and some of his hate speech.

Have not seen reports where they stressed the number of whites he shot. Not like they do when it is a white LEO and a minority victim

I should have used a better example.
You do realize there is a difference between an authority of the government committing a crime.. and an average criminal right?

I wonder if it will come to a point where LE just lets people flee…

As I said earlier.

A guy shot up my neighborhood on Tuesday.

They were able to bring him in alive.

A traffic stop should not end with a bullet to the back of the head.

A "traffic stop" did not end with a bullet to the back of the head. The traffic stop ended with an an assault on a police officer, where the perpetrator took a weapon from the officer. The assault by an armed suspect is what ended with a bullet to the back of the head.

The fact that there a large subset of people who have the argument that “Well he had to get shot…. What he can just get away for a traffic stop? ‽ ‽!”

Massive strawman.

Yes. They have the car, they have his image, they know the area where he is… get backup and don’t have the officer get into a situation where someone dies.

So, in other words, just let him run away.

You have their drivers license, their registration.. and body camera footage of their face. hmmm.

At what point did he get a drivers license or registration?

You honestly think some grainy body cam footage is going to lead to them finding the guy, maybe days later?

A "traffic stop" did not end with a bullet to the back of the head. The traffic stop ended with an an assault on a police officer, where the perpetrator took a weapon from the officer. The assault by an armed suspect is what ended with a bullet to the back of the head.
All of that happened because the officer put himself into the situation where he could be overpowered and thus had to resort to deadly force.

It isn’t that hard of a concept to understand
Massive strawman.
it isn’t. I see it right here in this thread.
So, in other words, just let him run away.
Yes. The car is in the possession of the police. They have his picture and they know the area he is in.

Bring the resources to bear that increases the chances that he does not get shot.

He lives and gets charged for evading arrest.

If you have noticed, I have not focused on the race of the cop or the guy that he killed

That issue is separate one from what we deem as acceptable use of force and how we want to be policed.

So maybe instead of focusing on a weird grievance of “we don’t Hear about a black cop shooting a white guy” like it would make it somehow acceptable… maybe we should focus in on how police can do their jobs and not resort to deadly force.
agree.
Now if the news and social media would do that.

All of that happened because the officer put himself into the situation where he could be overpowered and thus had to resort to deadly force.

It isn’t that hard of a concept to understand

Right, it's called "arrest." That's his job, to arrest people who break the law. His job is not to let him escape so he can never be prosecuted.

it isn’t. I see it right here in this thread.

Where? What "large subset"?

Yes. The car is in the possession of the police.

What good is that going to do anyone?

They have his picture and they know the area he is in.

So what? What's the likelihood they would catch him based on his picture, and "the area he is in?"

Perp ran from the cop. Perp engaged the cop in hand to hand combat. Perp tried to take away cops taser. even after being wrestled to the ground perp continued to fight off cop. Unfortunately perp lost his life. Lessons learned? When cop says stay in your car or get back in your car, then get back in your frighten car. Don’t fight cops. Don’t they to take away cops taser. When down on the ground with cop on top consider surrende.

What ways? Just let the guy run away? How do you prosecute someone for a crime if you don't have him in custody? Is that the solution? Just let criminals get away with it?
What do you think the phrase "police work" means? Typically it involves some basic ****ing investigation. They have body cam footage. The officer has seen him and knows what he looks like. They have his vehicle which he abandoned abruptly. He's clearly not a genius, so good chance he left some identifying evidence in it. That is way more info than they have on most criminals.

So yeah, letting him go and then spending some time tracking him down later is a better outcome than getting into a risky fight and killing him. Why do you seem to think that the direct violent approach is the only option to apprehend criminals?

How about this scenario.

This whole thing was over a vehicle registration kerfuffle.

Maybe don’t chase a guy down putting yourself into danger that would then lead to deadly force over the tags on a ****ing car?

How about we do that for a little while?
Yeah they tend to think they have to go GTA police on everyone.

When enforcement of a law that is about vehicle registration ends with a bullet in the back of the head…. You are enforcing that law in an incorrect manner.
This is why people dont trust cops.

Right, it's called "arrest." That's his job, to arrest people who break the law. His job is not to let him escape so he can never be prosecuted.
The police are capable of arresting people without resorting to deadly force. What I am talking about not only protects the safety of the accused but also the safety of the officer.

The only reason that deadly force was resorted to was because the safety of the officer was in question.
So what? What's the likelihood they would catch him based on his picture, and "the area he is in?"
Yeah. They have the car… so if it was stolen they have stolen property. They know where he is and since he is on foot he isn’t getting that far.

Perp ran from the cop. Perp engaged the cop in hand to hand combat. Perp tried to take away cops taser. even after being wrestled to the ground perp continued to fight off cop. Unfortunately perp lost his life. Lessons learned? When cop says stay in your car or get back in your car, then get back in your frighten car. Don’t fight cops. Don’t they to take away cops taser. When down on the ground with cop on top consider surrende.
Running from an officer for a vehicle registration stop should not carry a death sentence

Back
Top Bottom