• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michelle Obama's DNC address fact-checked by AP over 'distorted' immigration talking point Children

Robertinfremont

Photo of me taken in the Army 1963
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
The Associated Press fact-checked Michelle Obama's Democratic National Convention speech after she condemned Trump for using "cages" to house migrant children at the U.S.-Mexico border while failing to note that the same facilities were used during her husband's administration.

“Michelle Obama assailed President Donald Trump on Monday for ripping migrant children from their parents and throwing them into cages, picking up on a frequent and distorted point made widely by Democrats,” the AP reported.

“She’s right that Trump’s now-suspended policy at the U.S.-Mexico border separated thousands of children from their families in ways that had not been done before,” the AP fact check continued. “But what she did not say is that the very same ‘cages’ were built and used in her husband’s administration, for the same purpose of holding migrant kids temporarily.”

We knew immediately the cage photos used by the media were of the Obama cages of 2014. But that the media lies is no shock, is it?

The full convention speech of Michelle Obama. Everyone should take a few moments and read it.....

Michelle Obama's DNC speech: read it in full

My favorite lines.....

Michelle Obama said:
So let me be as honest and clear as I possibly can. Donald Trump is the wrong president for our country. He has had more than enough time to prove that he can do the job, but he is clearly in over his head. He cannot meet this moment. He simply cannot be who we need him to be for us. It is what it is. So if you take one thing from my words tonight, it is this: if you think things cannot possibly get worse, trust me, they can, and they will if we don’t make a change in this election. If we have any hope of ending this chaos, we have got to vote for Joe Biden like our lives depend on it.

:thumbs:

We knew immediately the cage photos used by the media were of the Obama cages of 2014. But that the media lies is no shock, is it?

Your ilk disgusts me. The cages were there, for CRIMINAL PARENTS. REAL criminals, like drug runners. Not a ZERO TOLERANCE PROGRAM, made as MEAN as possible, to send a message all the way to desperate folk in south America, to stay the **** out, rapists and murderers. Deal with your death threats, but dont come here.

"distorted" talking point....says ardent supporter of human scum with over 20,000 lies or misleading (aka, intentionally distorting) statements.

This is false. The photos depicting the cages used to temporarily hold migrants were not pictures from 2014. They were current photos of the children of migrants seeking asylum who were detained under the Trump administration.

Yes, the cages were built and used under the Obama administration as well. The difference is: The Obama administration used those cages to separate children from parents who were illegally entering the country. The Trump administration used those cages to separate children from parents who were requesting legal asylum, and they were separated and held for the admitted purpose discouraging other potential asylum seekers from seeking asylum in the U.S. The Obama administration never did this because this is unconscionable.

Back
Top Bottom