• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michelle Obama's Becoming Breaks a Record Set by Fifty Shades of Grey

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
The chart-topper has seen renewed interest on social media people asking her to run for President. So far, Obama has opted to stay out. It's been said that Becoming has sold more copies than any anti-Trump book. There's also been speculation that Becoming has sold more copies than the entire lifetime of Trump's own, Art of the Deal.

Becoming was the No. 1 "most sold on Amazon across all formats for 47 consecutive days," according to Amazon Charts. The book had the longest period at No. 1 since Fifty Shades of Grey's streak about seven years ago, enjoying many weeks in the top spot.

Donald Trump apparently respected the former FLOTUS enough not to attack her head on on twitter, but instead plugged right wing allies books instead. Chris Christie's new book was also not plugged by the President.

Michelle Obama Memoir ‘Becoming’ Is Top Book Of 2018; Donald Trump’s Sudden Bibliophilia Explained?

Last edited:
To chart-topper has seen renewed interest on social media people asking her to run for President. So far, Obama has opted to stay out. It's been said that Becoming has sold more copies than any anti-Trump book. There's also been speculation that Becoming has sold more copies than the entire lifetime of Trump's own, Art of the Deal.

Donald Trump apparently respected the former FLOTUS enough not to attack her head on on twitter, but instead plugged right wing allies books instead. Chris Christie's new book was also not plugged by the President.

Michelle Obama Memoir ‘Becoming’ Is Top Book Of 2018; Donald Trump’s Sudden Bibliophilia Explained?

I am not a fan of biographies but she rules in popularity. Congrats to Michelle.

The chart-topper has seen renewed interest on social media people asking her to run for President. So far, Obama has opted to stay out. It's been said that Becoming has sold more copies than any anti-Trump book. There's also been speculation that Becoming has sold more copies than the entire lifetime of Trump's own, Art of the Deal.

Not a fan of Michelle but good for her for selling a story while embracing Capitalism.
She'll become a billionaire before she knows it! Again, good for her!!!

Last edited:

Think about your post a little bit...try a little bit of reflection. You're touting the fact that her book beat the current record holder as if it is some kind of valid signal to it's quality? I mean....50 Shades was utter trash so that proves selling a lot doesn't mean quality.

Wonder if this will be the second time in her life she is proud of her country.

I'll skim over it when I come across it in the 10cent bin of a thrift store but I've never bought a politicians unless its a thrift store score

Understanding that "Fifty Shades of Grey" is almost universally known as a not very good book with the movies being even worse.

Think about your post a little bit...try a little bit of reflection. You're touting the fact that her book beat the current record holder as if it is some kind of valid signal to it's quality? I mean....50 Shades was utter trash so that proves selling a lot doesn't mean quality.
You read 50 shades?

Understanding that "Fifty Shades of Grey" is almost universally known as a not very good book with the movies being even worse.

125,000,000 readers would disagree with you.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_Shades_of_Grey

By comparison, Art of the Deal sold 1,100,000 copies
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump:_The_Art_of_the_Deal

If Shades was not a very good book, Deal must be absolutely shi**y.

50 Shades movie grossed over $150,000,000
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_Shades_of_Grey_(film)

While Trump’s movie Ghosts can’t do it grossed an abysmal $25,000
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099656/
But did earn Trump the Golden Rasberry award for worst supporting actor.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_filmography

125,000,000 readers would disagree with you.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_Shades_of_Grey

By comparison, Art of the Deal sold 1,100,000 copies
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trump:_The_Art_of_the_Deal

If Shades was not a very good book, Deal must be absolutely shi**y.

50 Shades movie grossed over $150,000,000
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty_Shades_of_Grey_(film)

While Trump’s movie Ghosts can’t do it grossed an abysmal $25,000
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099656/
But did earn Trump the Golden Rasberry award for worst supporting actor.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_filmography

The deep into this Dark Age popularity and quality are seldom related, Hell damn near 4 of every 5 movies I start on streaming contain too much suck to finish, our culture is of extremely low quality now and far too few can be found who care.

Last edited:

He never argued that selling the most or beating the current record shows it is of better quality. Hes just pointing out the popularity. Not sure why you are so defensive about something he never even argued.

More people enjoying it means its popular. Not necesarily that its of amazing quality. The apprentice was apparently a popular show and trumps a ****ing moron and the show was very likely pure ****. So we get it. Trust me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Wonder if this will be the second time in her life she is proud of her country.

I'll skim over it when I come across it in the 10cent bin of a thrift store but I've never bought a politicians unless its a thrift store score
Get a library card. Ive been a reading binge lately and found that my local library has most any popular book. You might have to wait a week or two on a reservation but better than paying. If its a few months old its almost garanteed they have a copy somewhere if you live in a city with a good library system.

Get a library card. Ive been a reading binge lately and found that my local library has most any popular book. You might have to wait a week or two on a reservation but better than paying. If its a few months old its almost garanteed they have a copy somewhere if you live in a city with a good library system.

Increasingly rare for this to be at our service you understand. Mine is under the knife....lots of cuts.

The deep into this Dark Age popularity and quality are seldom related, Hell damn near 4 of every 5 movies I start on streaming contain too much suck to finish, our culture is of extremely low quality now and far too few can be found who care.
Your failed argument aside, maybe you should check into movie reviews before streaming them in order to eliminate wasted time and disappointment.

Your failed argument aside, maybe you should check into movie reviews before streaming them in order to eliminate wasted time and disappointment.

Reviews are increasingly useless, corrupted with politics for one thing, very few people care about the quality of the art first and actually not enough anymore even know what quality is with far too many of them under the delusion that quality does not exist.

And I did not make an argument, I made a statement....Kindly attempt to use the English language correctly.

I found a good one last night..... The Rainbow...turns out it is a 1980's product.

FIGURES!

I actually like buying books at the thrift store. The ones I frequently go to are private charity based verse national chain thrift stores. Once I'm done I either donate the book back or put it in one of the book exchange boxes. I've also been know to drop a book or two in the tub. The library nearest to me is in a bad section of town so I try to avoid it.

And I did not make an argument, I made a statement....Kindly attempt to use the English language correctly.

Wrong, you stated an opinion. Kindly attempt to express yourself properly.

No I never mentioned anything about quality, however....its got over 5000 positive reviews on amazon.com, while Art of the deal doesn't even have 3000.

He never argued that selling the most or beating the current record shows it is of better quality. Hes just pointing out the popularity. Not sure why you are so defensive about something he never even argued.

More people enjoying it means its popular. Not necesarily that its of amazing quality. The apprentice was apparently a popular show and trumps a ****ing moron and the show was very likely pure ****. So we get it. Trust me.

Same thing still applies, being popular doesn't mean anything of import either. The Apprentice was probably bad too, though I never watched it, so you do see the point I'm making.

Same thing still applies, being popular doesn't mean anything of import either. The Apprentice was probably bad too, though I never watched it, so you do see the point I'm making.
I see the point. Its just that tge person you accused of trying to equate popularity with quality never tried to equate those things.

I see the point. Its just that tge person you accused of trying to equate popularity with quality never tried to equate those things.

I think there was an implication there, but I can concede on that point. The one thing we do know is she's making some serious $$.

Glad it's selling well. I read it a few weeks ago. It was a very good glimpse of the personal aspect of politics. Michelle Obama is a very popular figure and a great role model for young people.
For old people too. ;)

Only shows that the Left are not so poor and have money to spend on such things, OR they don't spend wisely at all if they are spending money on a political book rather than putting food in their and their children's mouths.

Back
Top Bottom