• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Micheli wrote letter on behalf of Craigslist rapist

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Republican gubernatorial candidate Ron Micheli wrote a letter to a Natrona County District judge on behalf of a Bar Nunn man convicted of brutally raping a woman in her Casper home last December.

While not condoning Ty Oliver McDowell's crimes, Micheli and his wife Patty urged Judge David Park in the letter to take McDowell's "past behavior, his desire to repent and make things right and the support he has from a wonderful and supportive family" in consideration in sentencing McDowell.

Now why the hell would someone running for governor stand behind the Craigslist rapist? Being a member of the same church helps, so it seems.

Look, I don't care if the perp is Jesus Christ himself. That still wouldn't excuse a brutal rape. His desire to repent (probably because he got caught), a supportive family (that he betrayed), and his past behavior (which we really know nothing about), should have absolutely no bearing on his sentence. He should be given the harshest sentence allowed under the law for someone who brutally rapes a woman. Evidently, the Wyoming courts agree with me. They sentenced the rapist to 60 years.

As for this self-righteous gubernatorial candidate, I have every reason to believe that, on August 17, the good Republican voters of Wyoming will choose one of the other candidates to be the next Republican nominee for governor of that state.

Article is here.

Last edited:
This is a very weird letter from Micheli. I hope the judge doesn't fall for the repent thing, since most criminals say they find God.

As a side note though when I first read this I thought it was about the Craiglist murderer that went to the medical school here at BU.

This is a very weird letter from Micheli. I hope the judge doesn't fall for the repent thing, since most criminals say they find God.

As a side note though when I first read this I thought it was about the Craiglist murderer that went to the medical school here at BU.

He didn't. He gave the rapist 60 years. :)

Anybody read this far down into the article??
McDowell went to the woman's home on the morning of Dec. 11 in response to a bogus online advertisement on Craigslist posted by 28-year-old Jebidiah Stipe, a Carbon County native who had briefly dated the victim. In the ad, Stipe, posing as the woman, requested a lurid rape fantasy.b McDowell responded to the ad, and chatted online several times with Stipe, who continued to pose as the woman. Stipe ultimately gave McDowell the victim's address.

Throws a whole new perspective on this case for me. I hope Stipe got jail time. He certainly has it coming. If the rapist got 60, he should get the same. I can understand, in light of that paragraph, why he wrote the letter to the judge.

Political suicide, however.

Throws a whole new perspective on this case for me. I hope Stipe got jail time. He certainly has it coming. If the rapist got 60, he should get the same. I can understand, in light of that paragraph, why he wrote the letter to the judge.

The article said Stipe got 60 years as well.

I went into this expecting to find some evidence that there was more to the story and this was not as bad as it sounds. Then I saw this line:

The Michelis, who taught McDowell as a teenager in Sunday School, said in the letter that McDowell was "an outstanding young man" who was a good friend to their daughters.

Now stop and thing about this...McDowell broke into a women's house, beat her up, raped her, and left her tied up and naked. And Micheli calls him a good friend of his daughters? He may have thought she wanted it like that, but still....

Stipe also got 60 years.

EDIT: Redress beat me to the punch, so let me change my post to......

^
What he said.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom