• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Micheal Steele rewrites very recent history

Deuce

Outer space potato man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
YouTube - Michael Steele Opposing the Troops in Afghanistan

(audio is tough but here's a transcript)

The McChrystal incident, to me, was very comical. And I think it's a reflection of the frustration that a lot of our military leaders have with this Administration and their prosecution of the war in Afghanistan. Keep in mind again, federal candidates, this was a war of Obama's choosing. This is not something the United States had actively prosecuted or wanted to engage in.

It was one of those, one of those areas of the total board of foreign policy ["in the Middle East"? -- Note: The audio is not quite clear in this section.] that we would be in the background, sort of shaping the changes that were necessary in Afghanistan as opposed to directly engaging troops, but it was the president who was trying to be cute by half by flipping a script demonizing Iraq, while saying the battle really should be in Afghanistan. Well, if he's such a student of history, has he not understood that you know that's the one thing you don't do, is engage in a land war in Afghanistan? All right, because everyone who has tried, over a thousand years of history, has failed. And there are reasons for that. There are other ways to engage in Afghanistan.

Wow.... Ain't that some ****.

Guess he thinks Obama was elected in 2000?

Just normal American right wing policy to rewrite history in their own image :)

Hey Micheal who was president during the last eight years, and fought for us to go too war? Bush which was a republican we were so gun ho going to war that it wasn't funny.

This thread's entertainment value will skyrocket just as soon as the conservative apologists show up.

Too bad they won't.

It's so much easier to spank the other guy than it is to admit when your guy screwed up.

Steele's an idiot and needs to go.

Michael Steele is quite possibly the biggest pinhead in the Republican party.

real-moron.jpg

:lamo

Oh, and this?

Well, if he's such a student of history, has he not understood that you know that's the one thing you don't do, is engage in a land war in Afghanistan?

Ohnoheditint!

* [to the Man in Black] Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia," but only slightly less well known is this: "Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line! [laughs maniacally and then falls over dead]

i recall the hubris from the reich wing when Obama took time to evaluate and qualify the mccrystal strategy to ramp up the number of troops deployed to afghanistan
they were livid at the time that Obama did not immediately implement mccrystal's expansion proposal
now, we have a classic catch 22
if we withdraw our troops, then Obama is painted by the reich wing as a president unwilling to defend the citizens of the USA from terrorist aggression
if we continue dubya bin lyin's war in the middle east, then they try to re-write history to make the loss of our youth and treasure due to Obama rather than it being one of the many messes he inherited from a dysfunctional republican regime

Very true, justabubba. But I can't get past the fact that this dolt takes his talking points from The Princess Bride. I mean, come on!

Michael Steele is quite possibly the biggest pinhead in the Republican party.

real-moron.jpg

Oh, and this?

Ohnoheditint!

Actually, that's the only thing he was correct about: you don't engage a land war in afghanistan. Period. No one has ever been successful in doing so. Princess Bride, aside from being a trite and petty forced comparison, has nothing to do with what Steele said.

Steele was wrong on almost every other count and he had to know it. I know he's an idiot but I can't fathom that he is actually that big an idiot.

i recall the hubris from the reich wing when Obama took time to evaluate and qualify the mccrystal strategy to ramp up the number of troops deployed to afghanistan
they were livid at the time that Obama did not immediately implement mccrystal's expansion proposal
if we withdraw our troops, then Obama is painted by the reich wing as a president unwilling to defend the citizens of the USA from terrorist aggression
if we continue dubya bin lyin's war in the middle east, then they try to re-write history to make the loss of our youth and treasure due to Obama rather than it being one of the many messes he inherited from a dysfunctional republican regime

What the **** is the "reich wing"?

What the **** is the "reich wing"?

Idiotic partisan hack speech meant to deflect from the fact that the poster is chattering a lot but saying very little.

Idiotic partisan hack speech meant to deflect from the fact that the poster is chattering a lot but saying very little.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Actually, that's the only thing he was correct about: you don't engage a land war in afghanistan. Period. No one has ever been successful in doing so.
I was going to say the same thing. It's the one thing RNC Chairmain Steele got right in his idiotic commentary. He was 100% wrong on every other point....completely wrong!

I mean, did the War on Terror (in Afghanistan) start January 20, 2009?

Did the U.S. not engage in a war in Iraq while already fully engaged in the aforementioned war while G. W. Bush was in President?

Just what sort of BS was Steele trying to sell to his listening audience?

More important, WTH was he smoking? I want some!!

What is even worse than him saying it is that some will believe it!

He should resign or the GOP should remove him. It is stunning how he fails to recall that the U.S. went to war in Afghanistan in 2001 after the Al Qaeda terrorist attacks and the Taliban's refusing to hand over the Al Qaeda leadership. Raising questions about the current strategy or current policy is one thing. Misrepresenting history is quite another.

He should resign or the GOP should remove him. It is stunning how he fails to recall that the U.S. went to war in Afghanistan in 2001 after the Al Qaeda terrorist attacks and the Taliban's refusing to hand over the Al Qaeda leadership. Raising questions about the current strategy or current policy is one thing. Misrepresenting history is quite another.

Not to worry Don... the GOP has an election to win in November, not actually say anything of value ;)

To be fair, you can read Steele's comments a couple of different ways. I don't think he is saying that Obama started the war, but by continuing the same policy as the previous administration it is a choice to continue going to war with Afghanistan. The other comments about Afghanistan being an untenable location for victory are applicable to any administration going to war with that region.

I mean, Obama supporters think that the war policy has changed. It hasn't. It has basically been a continuation of Bush era policy. The difference is that Obama fed us the notion that we would be starting a gradual withdrawal by now, when actually it's the opposite. More troops and dollars are being committed.

Moderator's Warning:
Everyone needs to calm down, cease the flaming, and get back on topic

The Iraq war started by lil Bush for whatever reason was and is completely pointless, it did not rid Iraq of a corrupt administration because any administration that runs Iraq is going to be as corrupt as was Saddam Hussein's regime.
However the war in Afghanistan is more believable in so far as it was Al Quaeda who at that time were being sheltered by the Taliban in Afghanistan, who were responsible for the atrocities of 911.

What is perhaps being totally ignored is who initially armed Al Quaeda.
So just to get this particular record straight, it was largely through the actions of one Charlie Wilson, who seeing a chance to inflict a defeat on Soviet forces, pursuaded Congress to deliver the cash and armaments to allow Al Quaeda to be more effective against the Soviets.
Which in fact they turned out to be remarkably effective in compelling Soviet Russia to remove their forces from Afghanistan.
This does not detract from the fact that Afghanistan has never been defeated and held as a conquered nation by any other nation.
It may well be defeatist of me but IMO I doubt it can be militarily defeated.
Afghanistan is run albeit by a central government that absolutely has to have agreement from the Clans/Tribes that live in the Country, without their direct agreement, nothing works.

Back
Top Bottom