• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Micheal Steele rewrites very recent history

To be fair, you can read Steele's comments a couple of different ways. I don't think he is saying that Obama started the war, but by continuing the same policy as the previous administration it is a choice to continue going to war with Afghanistan. The other comments about Afghanistan being an untenable location for victory are applicable to any administration going to war with that region.

I mean, Obama supporters think that the war policy has changed. It hasn't. It has basically been a continuation of Bush era policy. The difference is that Obama fed us the notion that we would be starting a gradual withdrawal by now, when actually it's the opposite. More troops and dollars are being committed.

No he did not. He has always maintained that he would focus on Afghanistan.
Obama: Afghanistan, not Iraq, should be focus - 2008 Presidential Campaign Blog - Political Intelligence - Boston.com

Just normal American right wing policy to rewrite history in their own image :)

Well, no, not exactly.

Steele is correct; Obama did choose this war, as it is. He oversaw the decisions as to the strategy and the ROE's. It's his baby, now. That kind of responsibility come with the burden of command, since he is the commander in chief.

I also do not like that the war was something that the United States did not want to engage, when in fact, we truly did and to a large degree (though declining), still do.

No matter how you put it, he will upset a large segment of the GOP as well as give Democrats more talking points.

Last edited:
Moon is not a leftie...

What steele said was wrong.

Get your partisan hackery the **** outta here.

My comment that Steele needs to go had nothing to do with his most recent comments. I think he's been a horrible RNC chairman.

My comment that Steele needs to go had nothing to do with his most recent comments. I think he's been a horrible RNC chairman.

I agree, and my earlier *off color* comment was a joke designed to poke fun at our race baiting leftie friends.

I'm terribly sorry one of them took it so personal.

Must have struck a nerve.

Last edited:
Even Darth Vader's daughter wants him to step down.

I agree, and my earlier *off color* comment was a joke designed to poke fun at our race baiting leftie friends.

I'm terribly sorry one of them took it so personal.

Must have struck a nerve.

Moderator's Warning:
And you're baiting AGAIN. Cease or you will be removed from the thread.

Wow.... Ain't that some ****.

Guess he thinks Obama was elected in 2000?

I personally don't like Steele, and think he should have stepped down long ago. However, I am not certain he is rewriting history with this statement. Sure, Bush and congress started the war in Afghanistan. However, they really didn't fight it. As the democrats have constantly used as an attack, Bush was busy fighting the Iraq war while Afghanistan (the war they thought of as much more important) was suffering.

Obama made the choice to begin to concentrate on Afghanistan and move a lot of tropps there. In other words, it was the war of his (and most other democrat's) choice.

I believe that a large foot print in Afghanistan is not the brightest move. I also believe that Iraq was and is the more important war and deserved the majority of our troops.

Last edited:
I am amazed at the reaction of Steele expressing an opinion under his rights of free speech. We are supposed to be in
Afghanistan to perpetuate that very right (and protect our oil interests and extract a little revenge and build a new nation by changing a thousands of years old culture to think like us, blah, blah, blah.

I think Michael Steele is right when he says we can not win there. First, there is nothing to win. Well, maybe if we stay for another couple of hundred years and spend a few more trillions we could win and make it one of our states.

Please read the "The Art Of War" if you believe we can win. Art of War by SunTzu [SunZi] -English Hypertext " 3. Again, if the campaign is protracted, the resources
of the State will not be equal to the strain."

LiberAvenger we are mad that he is trying to rewrite history by saying the Usa didn't want to go too war not about what he said about not wining the war.

Hey Micheal who was president during the last eight years, and fought for us to go too war? Bush which was a republican we were so gun ho going to war that it wasn't funny.

Might be because of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center being destroyed.

On the other hand, Michael Steele is an idiot. I don't condone anybody rewriting history. I don't think he's rewriting history, though. I think he is just plain ignorant. Doesn't give me that warm fuzzy. The Tea Party has it.

Might be because of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center being destroyed.

Sorry he did say that USA didn't want to go to war. This is why we are mad at him he is trying to rewrite history.

LiberAvenger we are mad that he is trying to rewrite history by saying the Usa didn't want to go too war not about what he said about not wining the war.

That's nothing to get mad about. There are more people than you realize who did not want to go to war with Afghanistan. We are there because of some people's ignorance about what is moral and what is not.

What I have learned from republicans in the last year. Obama decided to invade Afghanistan, and there where no terror attacks during Bush's presidency, so 9/11 happened under some other president, probably Obama.

That was Obama's second term.

Yea and Bill Clinton was his VP and really in charge.. when he was not being serviced by the White House harem. Oh and lets not forget the world is flat and that Jesus rode on dinos!

What I have learned from republicans in the last year. Obama decided to invade Afghanistan, and there where no terror attacks during Bush's presidency, so 9/11 happened under some other president, probably Obama.

LOL...Was there ever any doubt?

The only thing that would have been amazing is being blindsided by such revelation.

;)

....thereby proving (once again) that Michael Steele is the exact wrong guy to have as the Chairman of the Republican Party at this juncture. from redesigning the offices because they were 'too masculine', to pissing off his own base for no appreciable gain, to making a fool and a tool of himself in public whenever he is given the chance, Steele just isn't what a muscular conservatism needs. that he also happens to be severely incorrect on this issue is but icing on the cake.

....thereby proving (once again) that Michael Steele is the exact wrong guy to have as the Chairman of the Republican Party at this juncture. from redesigning the offices because they were 'too masculine', to pissing off his own base for no appreciable gain, to making a fool and a tool of himself in public whenever he is given the chance, Steele just isn't what a muscular conservatism needs. that he also happens to be severely incorrect on this issue is but icing on the cake.

No no! He is the perfect leader of the republican party. Please leave him in charge.

Hey Micheal who was president during the last eight years, and fought for us to go too war? Bush which was a republican we were so gun ho going to war that it wasn't funny.

The Joint Resolution of Congress which authorized the war in Afghanistan was nearly unanimous, in the House it was 420 Aye, 1 Nay, and 10 Presents. The sole nay was from Barbara Lee D, in the Senate it was 98 Ayes and 2 Presents by Larry Craig and Jesse Helms.

Well, no, not exactly.

Steele is correct; Obama did choose this war, as it is. He oversaw the decisions as to the strategy and the ROE's. It's his baby, now. That kind of responsibility come with the burden of command, since he is the commander in chief.

The answer to this post is an unanimous:

No. You're wrong.

For any other questions you'd like us to answer with 5 words or less you are welcome to join www.debatepolitics.com

The answer to this post is an unanimous:

No. You're wrong.

For any other questions you'd like us to answer with 5 words or less you are welcome to join www.debatepolitics.com

The war is Obama's now he didn't choose the war, AQ chose this war, but he has chosen the current disastrous ROE.

eh. i'm willing to give credit for that to a stupid series of cover-your-butt moves at every level of the chain of command. as CoC he and McCrystal were responsible for setting the tone; but alot of the worst inanities i think came from those in-between commands who didn't want to get in trouble.

It's bad karma to pretend that this is a war the same as a war declared by congress as specified in the constitution. It seems we learned nothing from Viet Nam and an undeclared unconstitutional war.

War is hell, it is not a game.

counterinsurgency is a form of war; simply not the large-scale kinetic kind. the first war we fought was half insurgency, it is part of our heritage, too.

Back
Top Bottom