• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Micheal Brown back on Capital hill

kmhowe72

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Micheal brown was back on capital hill today. Has he changed his story about what happend , and made Bush accountable?? MSNBC

He is now pointing the finger at the Department of Homeland Security. He is pretty much saying what many were saying from day one.

Former federal disaster chief Michael Brown testified Friday he notified top White House and
Homeland Security officials on the day Hurricane Katrina roared ashore that "we were realizing our worst nightmare" and New Orleans was seriously flooding.

He dismissed as "just baloney" and "a little disingenuous" claims by agency officials that they didn't know about the severity of the damage until the next day.

Testifying before a Senate committee, Brown said he agreed with members who characterized him as a scapegoat. "I feel somewhat abandoned," said Brown, who quit under fire as chief of the
Federal Emergency Management Agency just days after the storm ravaged much of the Gulf Coast of the United States.

Brown suggested the administration's fixation with fighting terrorism may have been to blame, in part, for the slow government response.

Because of a focus on terrorism, natural disasters "had become the stepchild of the Department of Homeland Security," he said.

Had there been a report that "a terrorist had blown up the 17th Street Canal levee, then everybody would have jumped all over that," Brown added.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/katrina_congress;_ylt=Ai23.WJJl2uK2HiZFCzCTS0bLisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

scottyz said:
He is now pointing the finger at the Department of Homeland Security. He is pretty much saying what many were saying from day one.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/katrina_congress;_ylt=Ai23.WJJl2uK2HiZFCzCTS0bLisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

That's what happens when you build an operation out of croonies and try to use one as a scape goat for your own shortcomings.

Chertoff should have been the one to answer for Brownie's screw ups, and then Bush to answer for Chertoff's.

Now you got Scooter flipping on his superiors, and Abramoff talking more about his relationship with Bush too.

One day the American people will wake up and see this administration for what it is. And that day is one day closer.

Let's see...

Right after the hurricane, Michael Brown says something...

The Liberal response?....

"Michael Brown is an unqualified bum who doesn't know what he's talking about"...

Today Michael Brown speaks again...

"Michael Brown is exactly right about everything he says."...

Whatever suits your purpose, eh?...:roll:

cnredd said:
Let's see...

"Michael Brown is an unqualified bun who doesn't know what he's talking about"...

Oh crap man, I was still giving them more rope, they were on a roll, you should have let it build, I know I was sitting on my hands!:lol:

cnredd said:
Let's see...

"Michael Brown is an unqualified bum who doesn't know what he's talking about"...

That is the best you can do to respond to his statements today?

He should never have been in charge of FEMA.

Chertoff and Bush got away clean, and I don't think anyone said back then that the fault should stop at Brownie.

Deegan said:
Oh crap man, I was still giving them more rope, they were on a roll, you should have let it build, I know I was sitting on my hands!:lol:

So your response to the fact that Chertoff and Bush didn't do a good job with leadership during Katrina is "the Democrats didn't like Brown"?

Ya - LOL on your hands all you want, it isn't going to change the fact that Katrina was the biggest debacle for the Bush administration in like almost 3 years!

cnredd said:
Let's see...

I believe most people just said he was unqualified to be running FEMA. Quite a difference.

cnredd said:
Let's see...

If he was saying the same thing you might have a point.

Immediately after Katrina--covering ass.

Under oath, before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee--telling what really happened.

scottyz said:
He is pretty much saying what many were saying from day one.

python416 said:
So your response to the fact that Chertoff and Bush didn't do a good job with leadership during Katrina is "the Democrats didn't like Brown"?

Ya - LOL on your hands all you want, it isn't going to change the fact that Katrina was the biggest debacle for the Bush administration in like almost 3 years!

I think it was a combined screw up, and exactly why the federal government should not be in the business of saving lives, that should be left to the military. This was a rare occasion in everyones defense, but the lessons learned are what are most important. I don't think anything is solved by pointing fingers at this point, but making sure it does not happen again. To think one man Brown, Bush, Chertoff etc are the answer, this is how we got in this mess in the first place.

The thing with Brown is they all said, he screwed up, cronie, blah, blah, blah. Now that he shifts blame to the admin. he is now the best thing since sliced bread. You see, politics cloud the issue, do you want another "debacle" or do you just want to play partisan hate games?:roll:

Deegan said:
I think it was a combined screw up, and exactly why the federal government should not be in the business of saving lives, that should be left to the military. This was a rare occasion in everyones defense, but the lessons learned are what are most important. I don't think anything is solved by pointing fingers at this point, but making sure it does not happen again. To think one man Brown, Bush, Chertoff etc are the answer, this is how we got in this mess in the first place.

The thing with Brown is they all said, he screwed up, cronie, blah, blah, blah. Now that he shifts blame to the admin. he is now the best thing since sliced bread. You see, politics cloud the issue, do you want another "debacle" or do you just want to play partisan hate games?:roll:

What you are saying makes sense. The political environment is so polarized that it is hard to find any useful political discussion. However, the responses from the right on every issue usually boil down to:

1) did you forget the lession of 911?
2) support the troops
3) don't play partisan politics

They are catch alls, and only a communication straitegy, not a governing straitegy.

Katrina was a failure at all levels, but it was the federal level that lost the most, because it showed everyone that US homeland security is a farce. I admit that I didn't realize how bad it was.

But there are other illusions that the adminstration has tried to push that people did know were lies. And while the democrats are useless at offering alternatives, I still think that just as I called Katrina as being the flashpoint of an implosion of the adminstration, I think these Brown hearings, and Abramoff, and Libby, are all going to add the rapid loss of political support for this administration. The thing is it will happen much slower than I think it should.

Call me partisan, but when you got an administration in office that has only 2 peices of policy that I liked, and about 100 ones that I thought were short-sighted, self-serving, and leading the country in the wrong direction for idealogical or cronistic reasons, well when they lead the GOP, then I guess I am a partisan. (sorry for the run on sentance)

There is a reason so many people are against the adminstration - it has to do with the way they administrate.

PS)

the policies I liked were:

1) the compramise on stem cell research that Bush made on 2001
2) extending day light savings as PART of the energy bill in 2005

the policies I didn't like were:

1) the bill of goods and false intel going Iraq, (once I realize Colin Powell was lying)
and about everything else

Back
Top Bottom