• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michael Steele, RNC Accused of Concealing $7 Million in Debt

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The Republican Party's national organizing body failed to report more than $7 million in debt to federal election officials this year, making it appear to be in better shape than it was as mid-term elections approach in November, a Washington newspaper said Wednesday.

In a memo to GOP budget officers, Republican National Committee Treasurer Randy Pullen accused RNC Chairman Michael Steele and his chief of staff of trying to hide the damaging information from him by ordering other staff members not to communicate with Pullen, the Washington Times reported.

OK, now which of these explanations for Steele's behavior would you believe?

1) He is really a Democratic mole, who planted himself inside the GOP, waited for years, and then, when in a position to do irreparable harm to the Republican party, initiated mayhem.

2) He is an incompetent boob.

I'll go with number 2 on this. I mean he is number 2 :mrgreen:. I don't know about anybody else, I have the feeling that he won't be the head of the RNC for much longer. Many in the GOP have wanted his head on a platter for some time now. Maybe they are finally going to get their wish, and he will be replaced with, um....

How about a real Republican?

Article is here.

RNC fails to report $7M in debt to FEC

RNC fails to report $7M in debt to FEC
Party treasurer faults Steele

By Ralph Z. Hallow
10:26 p.m., Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The [/SIZE]Republican National Committee failed to report more than $7 million in debt to the Federal Election Commission in recent months - a move that made its bottom line appear healthier than it is heading into the midterm elections and that also raises the prospect of a hefty fine.
In a memo to RNC budget committee members, RNC Treasurer Randy Pullen on Tuesday accused Chairman Michael S. Steele and his chief of staff, Michael Leavitt, of trying to conceal the information from him by ordering staff not to communicate with the treasurer - a charge RNC officials deny.
Mr. Pullen told the members that he had discovered $3.3 million in debt from April and $3.8 million from May, which he said had led him to file erroneous reports with the FEC. He amended the FEC filings Tuesday.
Campaign-finance analysts said that simply misreporting fundraising numbers to the FEC can lead to millions of dollars in fines and that criminal charges can be levied if the actions are suspected to be intentional.
"This is significant because the civil penalties could mean big fines that take a significant bite out of the RNC's finances close to the November congressional elections, when state parties need the RNC's financial help for their 'victory' programs," said former FEC Commissioner Hans A. von Spakovsky.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/jul/20/rnc-fails-to-report-to-fec-7-million-in-debt/?page=1

Do we really want to turn the federal budget over to the Republicans? They can't even keep their own numbers straight?

Last edited:
re: RNC fails to report $7M in debt to FEC

I don't think it has anything to do with trusting them with finances. I'm surprised they'd make such a risky move so close to election time. What were they hoping to gain?

The article stated that the intent was to make them look solvent than they actually are.

The article stated that the intent was to make them look solvent than they actually are.

Yes but that couldn't possibly be true. They would have been found eventually. So why risk it? Now Democrats can simply say 'well if they lied about their own finances, why wouldn't they lie about the economy'? It's perfect. Oh. Brb. Gotta go text Obama about this.

Yes but that couldn't possibly be true. They would have been found eventually. So why risk it? Now Democrats can simply say 'well if they lied about their own finances, why wouldn't they lie about the economy'? It's perfect. Oh. Brb. Gotta go text Obama about this.

First of all I'd say that Republicans have a history of trying to hide their spending (ex: Bush and the cost of the Iraq war) but I'm not a Republican.

But if I'm gonna guess, I'm gonna say that the WashingtonTimes is looking for evidence to dump Steele. After all, this is coming from the conservative paper, you think they want to help the Democrats?

What's really sad is that there are conservatives that actually believe that things will all of a sudden be magically different and better if the GOP gain control. They have already forgotten about the spending under Bush and past Republicans.

More and more I am thinking that mixed government is not such a bad thing, and the combination of Republican Congress and Democratic President seemed to work better than one party controlling both or having a Democratic Congress and a Republican President. Say what you want about Clinton, but the six years of Clinton as president properly restrained by the Republican Congress was actually a pretty good time for the United States

I suppose here would be a great time to remind our good liberal friends, that, conservative, and republican are not mutually inclusive. Just thought I'd mention that.

Carry on with your RNC evil story thread. Sorry to bother.. :)

Tim-

I suppose here would be a great time to remind our good liberal friends, that, conservative, and republican are not mutually inclusive. Just thought I'd mention that.

Carry on with your RNC evil story thread. Sorry to bother.. :)

Tim-

Not evil. Just can't add. :2razz:

Last edited:

ITT: hey everyone, let's draw conclusions about the GOP as a whole based on the actions of a few people in an organization whose chairman most conservatives dislike and want removed!

Re: RNC fails to report $7M in debt to FEC

Hey you living in a glass house. Might want to change the title of this thread.

Are you so engrossed in your partisanship you can't even follow the breaking news rules?

Naw, just stupid--got the warning as I should. But thanks for your concern. ;)

ITT: hey everyone, let's draw conclusions about the GOP as a whole based on the actions of a few people in an organization whose chairman most conservatives dislike and want removed!

That's what surprised me. This looks like Republicans complaining about Republicans in the Republican newspaper. So is Steele going to last the year?

Moderator's Warning:
Threads merged.

1) He is really a Democratic mole, who planted himself inside the GOP, waited for years, and then, when in a position to do irreparable harm to the Republican party, initiated mayhem.

I'll go with number 2 on this. I mean he is number 2 :mrgreen:. I don't know about anybody else, I have the feeling that he won't be the head of the RNC for much longer. Many in the GOP have wanted his head on a platter for some time now. Maybe they are finally going to get their wish, and he will be replaced with, um....

Article is here.

Is there a "real Republican" you have in mind? I mean, complaining is fine and all, but do you have a solution other then generalities?

Is there a "real Republican" you have in mind? I mean, complaining is fine and all, but do you have a solution other then generalities?

Pains me to say it, but MrV has a damn good point. If Steele goes, who replaces him?

I don't trust any politician to keep the budget straight, but at least the Republicans won't kill as many jobs.

.... This is not the kind of road you want to travel on.

I don't trust any politician to keep the budget straight, but at least the Republicans won't kill as many jobs.

Point is that after lil Bush had had his attempt at running US there really are not all that many jobs that can now be killed?

Article is here.

I think you have a real republican.... a guy that consistently talks about fiscal responsibility, points out the fiscal management shortcomings of others, but once he gets his hands on the checkbook reverts to his nature of cutting revenues and increasing expenditures...

How do you figure? Based on the number of republicans that wanted us to turn our back on GM/Chrysler and voted against the stimulus, I reckon we would have had 15-20% unemployment under a Republican administration right now. What have the Republicans ever proposed that would have improved unemployment over where it is today?

More and more I am thinking that mixed government is not such a bad thing, and the combination of Republican Congress and Democratic President seemed to work better than one party controlling both or having a Democratic Congress and a Republican President. Say what you want about Clinton, but the six years of Clinton as president properly restrained by the Republican Congress was actually a pretty good time for the United States

Uh...you're only figuring this out now? Then again....Americans elected an All Democrat government after the colossal failure that was the all Republican Government. Grid lock in Washington is our friend. Keeps one side's crazies from getting their legislation passed.

Uh...you're only figuring this out now? Then again....Americans elected an All Democrat government after the colossal failure that was the all Republican Government. Grid lock in Washington is our friend. Keeps one side's crazies from getting their legislation passed.

Nah, figured that out a couple of years ago...

Back
Top Bottom