• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Michael Moore - liberator or slanderer

Is Michael Moore a Hero or a Hypocrite?

• Noble Hero

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • Malicious Traitor

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Greedy Self-Serving Hypocrite

Votes: 55 53.9%

• Total voters

Roundhouse!

Reaction score
I always get so puzzled when watching his films. Especially Farenheit.

Is Moore liberating us with the truth or just bogging us down with more propaganda?

He talks about Bush et al. and how they always throw lies in our faces, telling us their views are the truth and it's that black and white.

But does Moore do any better? His arguments hold no room for debate and he masterfully uses his evidence to come up with certain "truths".

Is he showing us the truth? or is he a Magician, making us see one thing while deftly withholding the truth?

He is entertaining us, much like O'reilly is. But, I actually have seen his sources and they are quite substantial even if they are not used correctly.

Roundhouse! said:
But does he use his evidence for manipulation or enlightenment?
A little bit of both. Most of his evidence was solid in his last movie, but he used it in a wrong way. So, both.

Bowling was a great movie that was meant to both inform and motivate you to do something, and it did its purpose. F911 was a movie that was meant to make you sway against Bush as well as inform, and for the most part, it did just taht. So, Moore is not anything if not able to acheive his purpose.

Oh, and fyi-I can't vote in taht poll, it doesn't even list an other option, because I don't see Moore as any of those things.

A new poll then?
I admit I posted it quite quickly and was quite hard pressed to find more options as I think I was running off emotion in the moment.

So then I'll put forth something new
I'd like to know peoples opinions on michael moore. So if you have a new category for me to poll, post it and I will start a new thread tomorrow morning.

Unfairenheit 9/11
The lies of Michael Moore.

http://www.davekopel.com/Terror/Fiftysix-Deceits-in-Fahrenheit-911.htm

More Distortions From Michael Moore

Critial reviews of his work.

Personally I think the articles and the movie all appear as biased versions of left and right wing.

“The movie clearly implies that the Saudis gave $1.4 billion to the Bushes and their friends. But most of it went to a Carlyle Group company before Bush even joined the firm. Bush had nothing to do with BDM.”-Newsweek

That does not preclude Moore from being a lying leftist hack.
Hes annoying but he helps us more than he hurts us.
Anyone he supports loses.
Keep up the good work Mike.

ShamMol said:
He is entertaining us, much like O'reilly is. But, I actually have seen his sources and they are quite substantial even if they are not used correctly.

Quite substantial even if not used correctly? Are you kidding?

I do see O'Reilly & the like as entertainers.

Not always "pithy" & lots of "bloviating."

I really do think Michael Moore is such a complete self-righteous cantaloupe

I did enjoy bowling for columbine. But the lows that man allowed himself to drop to in his "quest for the truth" made me so angry.

Case in point: In bowling, Moore went to visit Charleton Heston. First he lies...well no he doesn't lie...just omits, to gain access to this man's home. Then he ambushes him with unfair questions. My grandmother was a few years older than Hess and I could see in his eyes that he has early dementia, Moore was just confusing him.

Then moore had the nerve to stick around Heston's home and shoot extra footage.
When we get the shot of moore's back, showing the picture to heston walking down the stairs, it cuts back and forth from a front view of moore and the picture to the back view of moore and heston.

But there's no cameraman between moore and heston so that means that lowlife s.o.b. Moore actually had the disrespect to stick around the house of the man who's hospitality he had already shattered to pieces.

Even if Moore never told a lie in either movie...I would still hate him for being such a cold-hearted, deceptive human being.

He's a propagandist who takes his beliefs to the extreme and doesn't show the other side of the story...

Classic example of the biast liberal media.

He established a scholarship for California State-San Marcos students this past year. How kind, right? Well, applicants were to write on something political and how it affects them. Guess who the winners were? They were all liberal, progressive students. So much for students' rights and freedom of speech.

Hornburger said:
He's a propagandist who takes his beliefs to the extreme and doesn't show the other side of the story...

Classic example of the biast liberal media.
HE ISN'T MEDIA. HE IS AN ENTERTAINER and meant to be as such, no matter what he represents he is.

galenrox said:
And on that little thing at the bottom of the Fonz's posts, about how can a moral wrong be a civil right, it's because last time I checked we weren't legally required to be good people. If we were, it would take all of the actual goodness out of being good, because it makes it impossible to do something selfless, because everything good that's done would be done for the self serving reason of avoiding the punishment from breaking the law.
I love you...I've wanted to say that for a while now.

flip2 said:
He established a scholarship for California State-San Marcos students this past year. How kind, right? Well, applicants were to write on something political and how it affects them. Guess who the winners were? They were all liberal, progressive students. So much for students' rights and freedom of speech.

Yeah, and the Mellon Foundation, Heritage Foundation et el give scholarships out to students who write conservative essays. How does this remove any students rights or freedoms?

No. Even though those are privately funded, they state on the onset who is eligible to apply. Michael Moore proclaimed all students can apply, as long as the topic discusses students' rights and activism on campus. Read the descriptions of the students who won at his website and the inclination as to what type of student was favored in this contest. That is not exactly championing open access and all forms of activism.

flip2 said:
No. Even though those are privately funded, they state on the onset who is eligible to apply. Michael Moore proclaimed all students can apply, as long as the topic discusses students' rights and activism on campus. Read the descriptions of the students who won at his website and the inclination as to what type of student was favored in this contest. That is not exactly championing open access and all forms of activism.

Really every one I've found says they're open to basically anyone. Just like this one http://www.umsl.edu/~honors/onsi/Html/Scholarships/mellon_fellowship.htm

That says it's open to any US or Canadian resident. I found about 7 of them and they all say the same.

ShamMol said:
HE ISN'T MEDIA. HE IS AN ENTERTAINER and meant to be as such, no matter what he represents he is.
Anything broadcast to the public or made for mechanical playback is media, Michael Moron is absolutely part of the media even though he is in entertainment media, just like J-lo,Bon-Jovi, O'reilly, Hannity, Colmbs, Springsteen, et. al.

The very sad thing about Michael Moore is I used to be a huge fan. I saw "Roger and Me" and thought, "Wow, this is a guy who wants truth and justice, and is not afraid to do anything to get it!" Then there was "The Big One" and I thought the same thing. "Bowling for Columbine" made me think differently about a lot of things.

The problem is that some of his stuff is manipulated and edited to fit into his movies. When I found this stuff out, I was crushed. He spliced speeches together to make them sound differently. He rearranged articles in newspapers for 30 seconds of footage. It was very upsetting. It's a shame that the truthful things he has in his films can never be used in debating politics because he's not a reliable source. He brought it on himself.

Very disappointing. (He even denies the falsities and fabrications when they are clearly and proven to be fact. It takes a very foolish person to not own-up to lies when he's been caught red-handed.)

WiseRufus said:
The very sad thing about Michael Moore is I used to be a huge fan. I saw "Roger and Me" and thought, "Wow, this is a guy who wants truth and justice, and is not afraid to do anything to get it!" Then there was "The Big One" and I thought the same thing. "Bowling for Columbine" made me think differently about a lot of things.
This is one of the big problem of letting agendas get in the way of integrity, anyone can be guilty of it in one form or another, but Moore crosses alot of lines and I believe media integrity suffers as a result.

The problem is that some of his stuff is manipulated and edited to fit into his movies. When I found this stuff out, I was crushed. He spliced speeches together to make them sound differently. He rearranged articles in newspapers for 30 seconds of footage. It was very upsetting. It's a shame that the truthful things he has in his films can never be used in debating politics because he's not a reliable source. He brought it on himself.
I got to watch a stinging behind the scenes piece about Micheal Moore and his techniques in one of my broadcasting classes and it was very disturbing, this particular piece was about some "investigative" news show he had awhile back, one technique was to get cameras in someone's place of business and start shooting footage without that owner's permission, this footage was unusable because it was a public establishment, this wasn't meant to be used as it was a tool to infuriate said owner until the man would chase moore out of the business into "public domain" where anything and everything used on camera is fair game and not subject to a release of the footage, by this time the person being violated is naturally going to be so furious that they will be shouting, ranting, and perfect for making a case that they are "guilty" of whatever charge Moore wanted to imply, that is just dirty.

Very disappointing. (He even denies the falsities and fabrications when they are clearly and proven to be fact. It takes a very foolish person to not own-up to lies when he's been caught red-handed.)
I firmly believe that if you're a proven liar, it is your responsibility to either clear your name or fess up and do what it takes to get trust back.

Roundhouse! said:
I always get so puzzled when watching his films. Especially Farenheit.

Is Moore liberating us with the truth or just bogging us down with more propaganda?

He talks about Bush et al. and how they always throw lies in our faces, telling us their views are the truth and it's that black and white.

But does Moore do any better? His arguments hold no room for debate and he masterfully uses his evidence to come up with certain "truths".

Is he showing us the truth? or is he a Magician, making us see one thing while deftly withholding the truth?

You made the poll to biased in your favour, I wouldn't call him a Noble Hero but I wouldn't call him a Traitor either, you should have added: Okay Guy, or something of the sort.

WiseRufus said:
He even denies the falsities and fabrications when they are clearly and proven to be fact. It takes a very foolish person to not own-up to lies when he's been caught red-handed.)

No one ever "fesses up" it's not immoral, if everyone confessed to the crime they did then society itself would not exist on a straight curve, because everyone lies, some lie once a die, others lie fifty times a day, the point is that no one should tell the truth because the truth nowadays, especially in the U.S., is just not accepted.

Soviet_Guy said:
No one ever "fesses up" it's not immoral, if everyone confessed to the crime they did then society itself would not exist on a straight curve, because everyone lies, some lie once a die, others lie fifty times a day, the point is that no one should tell the truth because the truth nowadays, especially in the U.S., is just not accepted.
Actually, you show me someone in this country who tells the absolute truth no matter the consequences and you have just introduced us to the next president, I believe. I think people are getting sick of being misled and lied to and really want someone to trust completely.

Michael is a self serving pig. The uglieness about his films are that he is the editor. He edits out everything he disagrees with leaving you only his side of the story. HMMMM, what is this called? Oh, i know. PROPAGANDA

Back
Top Bottom