• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michael Jordan donating $2 million to help address police-related shootings

AGENT J

"If you ain't first, you're last"
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

To support that effort, I am making contributions of $1 million each to two organizations, the International Association of Chiefs of Police’s newly established Institute for Community-Police Relations and the NAACP Legal Defense Fund. The Institute for Community-Police Relations’ policy and oversight work is focused on building trust and promoting best practices in community policing. My donation to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund, the nation’s oldest civil rights law organization, will support its ongoing work in support of reforms that will build trust and respect between communities and law enforcement. Although I know these contributions alone are not enough to solve the problem, I hope the resources will help both organizations make a positive difference.“We are privileged to live in the world’s greatest country – a country that has provided my family and me the greatest of opportunities. The problems we face didn’t happen overnight and they won’t be solved tomorrow, but if we all work together, we can foster greater understanding, positive change and create a more peaceful world for ourselves, our children, our families and our communities.”

"As a proud American, a father who lost his own dad in a senseless act of violence, and a black man, I have been deeply troubled by the deaths of African-Americans at the hands of law enforcement and angered by the cowardly and hateful targeting and killing of police officers. I grieve with the families who have lost loved ones, as I know their pain all too well.“I was raised by parents who taught me to love and respect people regardless of their race or background, so I am saddened and frustrated by the divisive rhetoric and racial tensions that seem to be getting worse as of late. I know this country is better than that, and I can no longer stay silent. We need to find solutions that ensure people of color receive fair and equal treatment AND that police officers – who put their lives on the line every day to protect us all – are respected and supported.“ Over the past three decades I have seen up close the dedication of the law enforcement officers who protect me and my family. I have the greatest respect for their sacrifice and service. I also recognize that for many people of color their experiences with law enforcement have been different than mine. I have decided to speak out in the hope that we can come together as Americans, and through peaceful dialogue and education, achieve constructive change.

Good Job MJ!!! :applaud
Its an issue, it needs addressed and the nutters out there on both sides with their fluff and hype and terrible actions, need ignored, silenced, pointed out and or legally punished.

Back Up Links:
https://theundefeated.com/features/michael-jordan-i-can-no-longer-stay-silent/
Michael Jordan makes pair of $1M donations in wake of nationwide violence - Chicago Tribune
Michael Jordan: 'I Can No Longer Stay Silent' | wltx.com
Michael Jordan pledges $2 million toward building trust between communities and police - LA Times
http://time.com/4422202/michael-jordan-police-violence-statement/

Most excellent for His Airness to step up like this. Well done!!!!

Putting his money where his mouth is. Nicely done.

Poor choices, IMO...but it's his money.

The money would have been FAR better spent donating to give food/drugs to children who need them.

Also, announcement of donations from rich people does not impress me much any longer...sounds like they are looking for attention.
A true hero operates in secret...not looking for the spotlight.

He might have meant well...and I applaud him (somewhat) if he did. But I would have applauded louder if he had not announced it and if he had given it to people (especially to children) who desperately need the money just to survive...they are FAR more important to me then any organization.

If you disagree with me...whatever.

The money would have been FAR better spent donating to give food/drugs to children (in America or wherever) who need them.

Also, announcement of donations from rich people does not impress me much any longer...sounds like they are looking for attention.

He might have meant well...and I applaud him (somewhat) if he did. But I would have applauded louder if he had not announced it and if he had given it to people (especially to children) who desperately need the money just to survive...they are FAR more important to me then organizations of cops and lawyers (no matter how noble their cause may be).

The money would have been FAR better spent donating to give food/drugs to children who need them.

He might have meant well...and I applaud him (somewhat) if he did. But I would have applauded louder if he had not announced it and if he had given it to people (especially to children) who desperately need the money just to survive...they are FAR more important to me then any organization.

he has already done that before in the past, he gave like 9 million to 23 (23 his jersey number) different charities for kids last year i think

also do you think he went to the media because he was simply making a donation or more logically because of the MESSAGE and GOAL of this donation . I personally don't which is fact but it seems more logically that its because of the message and trying to spread that message and not the donation but that's just a logical guess.

At least he's doing something, which is better than most people who just stand in protest lines shouting meaningless hashtags.

?

That was one of his many nicknames.

C'mon Kobie .... let me dazzle the youth with being old and having a memory and get away with it. ;)

Fully agree!

Wow! Another two million dollar study to figure out why humans behave the way they do.
Trying to stop racism is like trying to stop crime and the drug trade......ain't gonna happen.

Police related shootings happen because there are more scumbags on the streets than ever before.....empowered and entitled by liberals....

In White neighborhoods, it rarely happens....there is a reason for that....hard working, morally driven, decent people, with a a Mom and a Dad!!

Last edited:
C'mon Kobie .... let me dazzle the youth with being old and having a memory and get away with it. ;)

Kinda like when we called George Brett "Royal McGoodHitter." You kids don't remember that?

I support Jordan on this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Fully agree!

Wow! Another two million dollar study to figure out why humans behave the way they do.
Trying to stop racism is like trying to stop crime and the drug trade......ain't gonna happen.

Police related shootings happen because there are more scumbags on the streets than ever before.....empowered and entitled by liberals....

In White neighborhoods, it rarely happens....there is a reason for that....hard working, morally driven, decent people, with a a Mom and a Dad!!
Black people in african-American communities aren't hard-working, decent or morally driven? And I personally take offense to the mom and dad part because I grew up without a father. Lack of a parent doesn't make somebody less than those with both.

Black people in african-American communities aren't hard-working, decent or morally driven?

Sure they are, but a disproportionate number in those hoods, are worthless criminals and leeches. And I stand behind what I said, police shootings are rare in all white neighborhoods

And I personally take offense to the mom and dad part because I grew up without a father. Lack of a parent doesn't make somebody less than those with both.

It depends on how strong that single parent happens to be. Many times it does make a difference.

I've seen it both ways, many times in my lifetime. Sounds like your Mom did a good job.

Last edited:
Air Jordan to the rescue!

Go Air Jordan, GO!

Back
Top Bottom