• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michael Flynn moves to withdraw guilty plea, citing 'bad faith' by government

SLC

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Michael Flynn moves to withdraw guilty plea, citing '''bad faith''' by government | Fox News

Former national security adviser Michael Flynn moved Tuesday to withdraw his guilty plea for lying to the FBI in the Russia probe, citing "bad faith" by the government.

The court filing came just days after the Justice Department reversed course to recommend up to six months of prison time in his case, alleging he was not fully cooperating or accepting responsibility for his actions.

But, in Tuesday’s court filing, his legal team said he moved to withdraw his plea "because of the government's bad faith, vindictiveness and breach of the plea agreement."

"The prosecution has shown abject bad faith in pure retaliation against Mr. Flynn since he retained new counsel," Flynn’s attorneys wrote in the filing. "This can only be because with new, unconflicted counsel, Mr. Flynn refused to lie for the prosecution."

The filing continued:"Justice is not a game, and there should be no room for such gamesmanship in the Department of Justice."

In the court filing, Flynn's lawyers said the Justice Department is attempting to "rewrite history" by withdrawing its recommendation that he be sentenced to probation and by suggesting he had not been forthcoming or cooperative.

===============================================================

I hope Flynn wins. The state's case is very thin.

The guy who got fired for lying is mad that people still believe he is lying. Spends more money to prove he's not lying when other people don't want to work with him m.

Shocking revelation.

Я Баба Яга [emoji328]

Michael Flynn moves to withdraw guilty plea, citing '''bad faith''' by government | Fox News

Former national security adviser Michael Flynn moved Tuesday to withdraw his guilty plea for lying to the FBI in the Russia probe, citing "bad faith" by the government.

The court filing came just days after the Justice Department reversed course to recommend up to six months of prison time in his case, alleging he was not fully cooperating or accepting responsibility for his actions.

But, in Tuesday’s court filing, his legal team said he moved to withdraw his plea "because of the government's bad faith, vindictiveness and breach of the plea agreement."

"The prosecution has shown abject bad faith in pure retaliation against Mr. Flynn since he retained new counsel," Flynn’s attorneys wrote in the filing. "This can only be because with new, unconflicted counsel, Mr. Flynn refused to lie for the prosecution."

The filing continued:"Justice is not a game, and there should be no room for such gamesmanship in the Department of Justice."

In the court filing, Flynn's lawyers said the Justice Department is attempting to "rewrite history" by withdrawing its recommendation that he be sentenced to probation and by suggesting he had not been forthcoming or cooperative.

Considering his bad faith, I suspect it is unlikely that the judge will accept his withdrawal.

It's a shame that James Comey didn't just let him go like Trump told him to. A shame indeed.

so many lives ruined!

He's toast. Hope they tack on a couple more months when he's sentenced.

The guy on whom the FBI lied (altering interview 302's), the same guy the FBI agents stated he didn't lie to them, I hope the judge permits his withdraw of his guilty plea, as it was made under threat and duress. You know? Like fairness and justice?

Or are some willing to acquiesces to to government lying, and then take the plea the government dictates?

The guy on whom the FBI lied (altering interview 302's), the same guy the FBI agents stated he didn't lie to them, I hope the judge permits his withdraw of his guilty plea, as it was made under threat and duress. You know? Like fairness and justice?

Or are some willing to acquiesces to to government lying, and then take the plea the government dictates?

You mean more like in fairy tales and fantasy land. The agents stated no such thing and there was no duress. They actually gave him multiple prompts and chances to reconsider and change his answers because they weren't matching up with the information they had. But he didn't. He lied. Plain and simple.

The other day I was trying to make a list of all the people associated with Trump whether his campaign, his transition team etc. that had to obtain expensive lawyers to represent them through the number of times they were called to testify over what turned out to be bogus charges after the Mueller Report was released. These people many of them were left with hefty lawyer bills and will be paying on them for years.
Horowitz report I can't help but think of all those persons that were low hanging fruit in the Trump campaign that our intel agencies under Obama that illegally caused them grief by setting them up and the lawyer fees all of them entailed because of illegal surveillance.

Comey has publicly admitted to setting up Flynn.

The other day I was trying to make a list of all the people associated with Trump whether his campaign, his transition team etc. that had to obtain expensive lawyers to represent them through the number of times they were called to testify over what turned out to be bogus charges after the Mueller Report was released. These people many of them were left with hefty lawyer bills and will be paying on them for years.
Horowitz report I can't help but think of all those persons that were low hanging fruit in the Trump campaign that our intel agencies under Obama that illegally caused them grief by setting them up and the lawyer fees all of them entailed because of illegal surveillance.

Comey has publicly admitted to setting up Flynn.

A favorite tactic of Mueller was to indict someone who was viewed as a threat by the swamp Mueller represents, and drag out court proceedings until that person went bankrupt from paying lawyer's fees. Mueller then directed that the charges be dropped.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems it might be easier for Trump to pardon him if he claims innocence.

You haven't read the litigation, have you?

There are only two options that make any sense. Either the plan is for Flynn to martyr himself and get a pardon, or he's got a solid case for a seven-figure malpractice suit.

You mean more like in fairy tales and fantasy land. The agents stated no such thing and there was no duress. They actually gave him multiple prompts and chances to reconsider and change his answers because they weren't matching up with the information they had. But he didn't. He lied. Plain and simple.

Former FBI lawyer under investigation after allegedly altering document in 2016 Russia probe - CNNPolitics Clinesmith altered multiple documents.

The duress was threatening to bankrupt Flynn's son with continuous litigation unless Flynn plea bargained. That is the definition of duress.

Former FBI lawyer under investigation after allegedly altering document in 2016 Russia probe - CNNPolitics Clinesmith altered multiple documents.

The duress was threatening to bankrupt Flynn's son with continuous litigation unless Flynn plea bargained. That is the definition of duress.
Here's the problem with that theory.

A year and half after he initially pled guilty, he stood in front of the judge and re-affirmed his guilty plea.

The judge gave him the opportunity to withdraw the plea, and he declined. He affirmed his guilt, again, under oath.

This was 6 months ago.

Here's the problem with that theory.

A year and half after he initially pled guilty, he stood in front of the judge and re-affirmed his guilty plea.

The judge gave him the opportunity to withdraw the plea, and he declined. He affirmed his guilt, again, under oath.

This was 6 months ago.

Its obvious there was duress, Mueller was threatening to go after his son. Combine that with possible falsified documents and it does look as though the government was after convictions whether there was guilt or not---note they even tried double jeopardy and it was dismissed.

Its obvious there was duress, Mueller was threatening to go after his son. Combine that with possible falsified documents and it does look as though the government was after convictions whether there was guilt or not---note they even tried double jeopardy and it was dismissed.
Again, I point you to his reaffirmation of his guilty plea

In 2018, his son was in no danger. He was cooperating with the FBI, and he wasn't going to see any time. And he stood in front of the judge, swore to tell the truth, and said "No, your honor. I do not wish to withdraw my guilty plea. I am guilty."

Again, I point you to his reaffirmation of his guilty plea

In 2018, his son was in no danger. He was cooperating with the FBI, and he wasn't going to see any time. And he stood in front of the judge, swore to tell the truth, and said "No, your honor. I do not wish to withdraw my guilty plea. I am guilty."

False.

Michael Flynn: Timeline of his rise, fall and guilty plea

Sept. 13, 2017 — Flynn's son Michael G. Flynn is a subject of the federal investigation into Russian meddling in the presidential election and possible collusion between Moscow and the Trump campaign.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems it might be easier for Trump to pardon him if he claims innocence.
What if he was genuinely innocent? That seems to be a legitimate possibility.

The "duress" he was under was being prosecuted for far more serious crimes. By withdrawing from this deal, the DOJ now has the option of prosecuting him for these crimes. Desperate move by Flynn that's not going to end well no matter how it goes...

Six months ago, he reaffirmed his guilty plea.

He does not want to pay the freight.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems it might be easier for Trump to pardon him if he claims ty .

To accept a pardon is to accept the responsibility of doing the crime. You also no longer have the right to remain silent on that matter, so if he is ask specifically about Trumps involvement, he legally can not refuse to answer.

Horowitz recommended charges for Clinesmith.

THat is the claim of several far right web sites, and pseudo news organizations. Yet, no charges have been brought as of yet. It's just evaporated.

Considering his bad faith, I suspect it is unlikely that the judge will accept his withdrawal.

the judge has no choice. the judge cannot stop him from changing his plea to not guilty.

Back
Top Bottom