• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michael Cohen's House testimony postponed, citing 'threats against his family'

trixare4kids

Trix has reentered the building.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/23/politics/michael-cohen-testimony-postponed/index.html

President Donald Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen announced he is postponing his public congressional testimony that was scheduled for February 7, citing "ongoing threats against his family."

"Due to ongoing threats against his family from President Trump and Mr. Giuliani, as recently as this weekend, as well as Mr. Cohen's continued cooperation with ongoing investigations, by advice of counsel, Mr. Cohen's appearance will be postponed to a later date," Cohen's attorney Lanny Davis said in a statement. "Mr. Cohen wishes to thank Chairman Cummings for allowing him to appear before the House Oversight Committee and looks forward to testifying at the appropriate time."
Davis added, "This is a time where Mr. Cohen had to put his family and their safety first."
Cohen's decision raises questions about whether he will ultimately testify publicly. He reports to prison for a three-year sentence on March 6.

Story is breaking, and developing.
I want to hear what these ongoing "threats" are... Obviously, Cohen is taking cues from his personal attorney, Lanny Davis.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/23/politics/michael-cohen-testimony-postponed/index.html

President Donald Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen announced he is postponing his public congressional testimony that was scheduled for February 7, citing "ongoing threats against his family."

"Due to ongoing threats against his family from President Trump and Mr. Giuliani, as recently as this weekend, as well as Mr. Cohen's continued cooperation with ongoing investigations, by advice of counsel, Mr. Cohen's appearance will be postponed to a later date," Cohen's attorney Lanny Davis said in a statement. "Mr. Cohen wishes to thank Chairman Cummings for allowing him to appear before the House Oversight Committee and looks forward to testifying at the appropriate time."
Davis added, "This is a time where Mr. Cohen had to put his family and their safety first."
Cohen's decision raises questions about whether he will ultimately testify publicly. He reports to prison for a three-year sentence on March 6.

I want to hear what these ongoing "threats" are... Obviously, Cohen is taking cues from his personal attorney, Lanny Davis.

How much you wanna bet that the supposed threats are not coming from Democrats or Progressives?

Trump needs to be frog marched right out of the Oval Office before the sun goes down tonight. He is the single greatest threat to this nation and the security of its people since the end of World War II.

Meh. So Schiff can just subpoena him.

Tsk...no you don't. And you wouldn't believe them if you did. :)

It was going to be nothing but a dog and pony show. Trump bashing at it's best. Many wondered why Cohen would testify now with his involvement
with the DOJ is on going.
If there are threats being made the full force of the DOJ needs to be used to find and prosecute the guilty.

Lanny Davis was asked about those alleged threats made by Trump to Cohen's family, and he replied, "No detail behind the words"

Go figure. :roll:

Cohen is saying Trump is threatening his father-in-law.

The thread is personally not about me.

You asserted that "I want to hear what these ongoing "threats" are... "

Going forward, please change the color of the text we are allowed to debate in your posts...to avoid confusion. :)

Trump needs to be frog marched right out of the Oval Office before the sun goes down tonight. He is the single greatest threat to this nation and the security of its people since the end of World War II.

Trump supporters don't care that he's basically a mob boss.

Oh please STOP the insane posting....... Goodness this crap gets old. :failpail:

Red:
What? That just is not how client-attorney relationships work. Clients define goals, attorneys advise, client considers advice, decides and instructs attorney to execute on whatever be the course the client chooses.

Were someone threatening my family, I wouldn't need an attorney to tell me pea turkey squat about what to do, not do, postpone, etc. I would tell my attorney "X is what I'm going to do, and you need to apply your legal skills to help me do it."

Blue:
I want to know:
  • What be the threats
  • How Trump obtained the information that gives "teeth" to the threats

Attorney Lanny Davis, who represented former Trump insider Michael Cohen in court and now serves as his advisor, said on MSNBC Thursday that President Donald Trump is engaging in witness tampering and intimidation against his client.

So much so, said Davis, that Cohen is considering whether to even “go forward” with his testimony.

Davis made the remarks on The Beat to host Ari Melber. Melber said to Davis that that members of Congress, including committee chairs, have accused Trump of “potentially getting close to witness intimidation” over comments about Cohen’s father-in-law that Trump made on Fox News Channel. He played the clip, and then asked whether it was, in fact, intimidating Cohen.

“Is that an impact on Mr. Cohen,” asked Melber, ” as we’ve seen reports about?”

“Very much so,” replied Davis. “He is very concerned, as is his family, that a bully in the bully pulpit named Donald Trump calls out a member of his family, and he’s also called out other members of his family, using the White House platform on a national television show.”

“Let me be very clear here,” said Davis. “This is a definition of witness tampering and intimidation and could be obstruction of justice.”

I did some research and the above is all I could find out about the alleged "Trump threats."

It appears that Trump has been deemed guilty of 'witness tampering and obstruction of justice.' At least those are the optics being presented by Democrat, Lanny Davis.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cohen-a...ntimidation-by-trump-family-is-out-of-bounds/

Red:
What? That just is not how client-attorney relationships work. Clients define goals, attorneys advise, client considers advice, decides and instructs attorney to execute on whatever be the course the client chooses.

Were someone threatening my family, I wouldn't need an attorney to tell me pea turkey squat about what to do, not do, postpone, etc. I would tell my attorney "X is what I'm going to do, and you need to apply your legal skills to help me do it."

Blue:
I want to know:
  • What be the threats

See source above. Looks like Davis is acting as an "advisor" to Cohen and not his attorney.

I’m not in a place I can read the story right now. Is he saying Trump and Giuliani are trying to have his family bumped off?

I’m not in a place I can read the story right now. Is he saying Trump and Giuliani are trying to have his family bumped off?

TBH, I am still doing research and I don't know what the hell Cohen, house Democrats including committee chairs, and Lanny Davis are trying to imply here....

Any threats or intimidation tactics intended to silence or harass a witness, can be regarded as witness tampering. A prosecutor would have to evaluate the evidence.

Red:

Blue:
I want to know:
  • What be the threats

See source above. Looks like Davis is acting as an "advisor" to Cohen and not his attorney.

Red:

giphy.gif

Cohen is saying Trump is threatening his father-in-law.

That's called witness tampering. I posted the USC on that a week or so ago:

18 U.S. Code § 1512 - Tampering with a witness, victim, or an informant
U.S. Code
(a)

(2) Whoever uses physical force or the threat of physical force against any person, or attempts to do so, with intent to—
(A) influence, delay, or prevent the testimony of any person in an official proceeding;

(B) cause or induce any person to—
(i) withhold testimony, or withhold a record, document, or other object, from an official proceeding;
(ii) alter, destroy, mutilate, or conceal an object with intent to impair the integrity or availability of the object for use in an official proceeding;
(iii) evade legal process summoning that person to appear as a witness, or to produce a record, document, or other object, in an official proceeding; or
(iv) be absent from an official proceeding to which that person has been summoned by legal process; or

(ii) the use or attempted use of physical force against any person;
imprisonment for not more than 30 years; and
(C) in the case of the threat of use of physical force against any person, imprisonment for not more than 20 years.
(b) Whoever knowingly uses intimidation, threatens, or corruptly persuades another person, or attempts to do so, or engages in misleading conduct toward another person, with intent to—
(1) influence, delay, or prevent the testimony of any person in an official proceeding;

(2) cause or induce any person to—
(A) withhold testimony, or withhold a record, document, or other object, from an official proceeding;

(c) Whoever corruptly—

(2) otherwise obstructs, influences, or impedes any official proceeding, or attempts to do so,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.

(d) Whoever intentionally harasses another person and thereby hinders, delays, prevents, or dissuades any person from—
(1) attending or testifying in an official proceeding;

(f) For the purposes of this section—
(1) an official proceeding need not be pending or about to be instituted at the time of the offense; and
(2) the testimony, or the record, document, or other object need not be admissible in evidence or free of a claim of privilege.

Last edited:
Red:

[/QUOTE]

Source above,
[QUOTE]Attorney Lanny Davis, who represented former Trump insider Michael Cohen in court and now serves as his advisor, said on MSNBC Thursday that President Donald Trump is engaging in witness tampering and intimidation against his client.[/QUOTE]​

The father-in-law should file a criminal complaint with local law enforcement and the FBI. If true, then charges should be brought against Trump. Cohen and his father-in-law should make sure they have their ducks in a row.

Any threats or intimidation tactics intended to silence or harass a witness, can be regarded as witness tampering. A prosecutor would have to evaluate the evidence.

We already know about Cohen's seedy family.
Trump didn't tell us anything we don't know.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/19/fat...chael-cohen-loaned-millions-to-cab-mogul.html

I spoke to two former federal investigators who told me Cohen was introduced to Donald Trump by his father-in-law, Fima Shusterman, a naturalized U.S. citizen from Ukraine who arrived in the U.S. in 1975. Shusterman was in the garment business and owned a fleet of taxicabs with his partners, Shalva Botier and Edward Zubok – all three men were convicted of a money-laundering related offense in 1993. “Fima may have been a (possibly silent) business partner with Trump, perhaps even used as a conduit for Russian investors in Trump properties and other ventures,” a former federal investigator told me. “Cohen, who married into the family, was given the job with the Trump Org as a favor to Shusterman.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...story-of-michael-cohens-criminal-ties-628875/

Democrat Lanny Davis is being disingenuous.

Last edited:
The father-in-law should file a criminal complaint with local law enforcement and the FBI. If true, then charges should be brought against Trump. Cohen and his father-in-law should make sure they have their ducks in a row.

"Watch [his] father-in-law." is an ominous statement, but I don't think it rises to the level of an actionable threat. Whether it can be considered witness tampering is another matter.

This throws a money-wrench into House Democrat intentions to question Mr. Cohen. At least three House committee's would appreciate such an opportunity. But Cohen is going to prison in early March. This severely compresses the time frame. I would imagine that Robert Mueller and the SDNY would prefer that Cohen not testify before Congress, so that Congress does not get ahead of these investigative bodies. Congress could subpoena Cohen after he is incarcerated, but I can't recall inmates ever testifying on Capitol Hill. As he is already incarcerated, Cohen could of course elect to ignore any such Congressional subpoena.

Back
Top Bottom