• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michael Cohen, Trump's former lawyer, to testify publicly before Congress

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/10/politics/michael-cohen-testify-congress/index.html

President Donald Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen will testify before the House Oversight Committee, the first major move by House Democrats to haul in a member of Trump's team connected to special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation, according to a schedule published by the committee.
Cohen has agreed to testify publicly before the panel on February 7, according to a statement from Cohen.

Pity I was born too late with regards to Nixon, but this is very entertaining. Never a dull moment with the Trump administration. :mrgreen:

(CNN)President Donald Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen will testify before the House Oversight Committee, the first major move by House Democrats to haul in a member of Trump's team connected to special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation, according to a schedule published by the committee.

Cohen has agreed to testify publicly before the panel on February 7, according to a statement from Cohen.

"I thank Michael Cohen for agreeing to testify before the Oversight Committee voluntarily," said Oversight Chairman Elijah Cummings, a Democrat from Maryland, in a statement. "I want to make clear that we have no interest in inappropriately interfering with any ongoing criminal investigations, and to that end, we are in the process of consulting with Special Counsel Mueller's office."

Source: (CNN) Michael Cohen, Trump's former lawyer, to testify publicly before Congress

Looks like the first, of what I assume will be many public hearings of this nature, will begin Feb 7th.

On air reporting for CNN claims some of the matters will be televised, and some private, in consultation with Mr. Mueller's office.

Attorney John Dean, Nixon's White House Counsel, is often credited with turning the public perception against Nixon through his televised Congressional hearing appearances, thereby leading to Nixon's exit. Is Mr. Cohen Trump's John Dean? Will his testimony come to the same effect? What do you think?

Michael Cohen Agrees to Testify to Congress ...

Michael Cohen has agreed to testify publicly before Congress next month. Hearing Michael Cohen animating his own testimony live on TV might change some minds.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/10/us/politics/michael-cohen-testify-trump-congress.html

Michael Cohen Agrees to Testify to Congress About Work for Trump

Michael D. Cohen agreed to appear before Congress next month and promised a full accounting of his work for President Trump.CreditChang W. Lee/The New York Times

11dc-cohen-articleLarge.jpg

WASHINGTON — Michael D. Cohen, President Trump’s former personal lawyer who implicated him in a scheme to pay hush money to two women claiming to have had affairs with him, has agreed to testify before the House Oversight Committee next month and give “a full and credible account” of his work for Mr. Trump.
Mr. Cohen’s decision to appear before the House Oversight and Reform Committee on Feb. 7 sets the stage for a blockbuster public hearing that threatens to further damage the president’s image and could clarify the depth of his legal woes. Mr. Cohen, a consigliere to Mr. Trump when he was a real estate developer and presidential candidate as well as informally as president, was privy to the machinations of Mr. Trump’s inner circle and key moments under scrutiny by both the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, and federal prosecutors in New York.
He could soon share them on national television under oath.

Re: Michael Cohen Agrees to Testify to Congress ...

Michael Cohen has agreed to testify publicly before Congress next month. Hearing Michael Cohen animating his own testimony live on TV might change some minds.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/10/us/politics/michael-cohen-testify-trump-congress.html

Michael Cohen Agrees to Testify to Congress About Work for Trump

Michael D. Cohen agreed to appear before Congress next month and promised a full accounting of his work for President Trump.CreditChang W. Lee/The New York Times

11dc-cohen-articleLarge.jpg

WASHINGTON — Michael D. Cohen, President Trump’s former personal lawyer who implicated him in a scheme to pay hush money to two women claiming to have had affairs with him, has agreed to testify before the House Oversight Committee next month and give “a full and credible account” of his work for Mr. Trump.
Mr. Cohen’s decision to appear before the House Oversight and Reform Committee on Feb. 7 sets the stage for a blockbuster public hearing that threatens to further damage the president’s image and could clarify the depth of his legal woes. Mr. Cohen, a consigliere to Mr. Trump when he was a real estate developer and presidential candidate as well as informally as president, was privy to the machinations of Mr. Trump’s inner circle and key moments under scrutiny by both the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, and federal prosecutors in New York.
He could soon share them on national television under oath.

I can hear the trumpettes already. “What a liar, you can’t believe anything he says!!!”

But I’ll be watching. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops. We both posted this concurrently, though I may have been a slight hair quicker. I'll alert the mods.

I'll make plenty of popcorn for that show!

Oops, sorry. HumplePi & I posted concurrent threads here. I alerted the mods.

Source: (CNN) Michael Cohen, Trump's former lawyer, to testify publicly before Congress

Looks like the first, of what I assume will be many public hearings of this nature, will begin Feb 7th.

On air reporting for CNN claims some of the matters will be televised, and some private, in consultation with Mr. Mueller's office.

Attorney John Dean, Nixon's White House Counsel, is often credited with turning the public perception against Nixon through his televised Congressional hearing appearances, thereby leading to Nixon's exit. Is Mr. Cohen Trump's John Dean? Will his testimony come to the same effect? What do you think?

I remain skeptical of Mr. Cohen. What are the consequences if he does lie? There doesn't seem to be any. Also there doesn't seem to be any checks and balances we can place on his testimony except his "newfound" hatred of his former client and his rather new insistence of following the law. I do believe this could be a turning point, but so far Cohen has done minimal if not no damage to Mr. Trump and his association with him has already seemingly blown over in the minds of the public at large.

However, I did not grow up in the time of Mr. John Dean and Mr. Nixon.

Well, the cable news services will sure be excited about this.

In all likelihood this will be little more than an opportunity for Democrat House members to grandstand in front of the cameras and it will be a great opportunity for Cohen to spread a little more conjecture. However, it will be little more than a show and it's HIGHLY unlikely that anything substantive will come of the media event.

I'll make plenty of popcorn for that show!

My sister lives in New Hampshire and she called when she heard this news and said "Come up to New Hampshire that day! We'll make tacos and Trumpburgers!"

I remain skeptical of Mr. Cohen. What are the consequences if he does lie? There doesn't seem to be any. Also there doesn't seem to be any checks and balances we can place on his testimony except his "newfound" hatred of his former client and his rather new insistence of following the law. I do believe this could be a turning point, but so far Cohen has done minimal if not no damage to Mr. Trump and his association with him has already seemingly blown over in the minds of the public at large.

A lot will obviously depend upon Cohen's subject of testifying. If only Stormy related, it probably won't move the needle much. If there's serious Russian or other serious stuff he knows of, it could be a bit more of a mover.

Remember, it's not the ends of the political spectrum that need to move, but the middle. At least in terms of 2020. And to those that stay agnostic or undecided, a personal recounting by an individual under oath, if credible appearing, can hold at least some sway.

Trump likely will not be impeached. But he needs to win a 2020 election where he currently has marginal chance with only his base behind him.

In a normal world, lying to Congress gets you perjury charges & jail time. But, depending on how politically valuable a lie would be will determine if the Democrat Congress actually would pursue perjury charges.

I have a feeling this was part of the deal Cohen made with the FBI when it was reported he was cooperating even more. This may be Mueller's plan to get out a lot of Trump's secrets without having to wrap up the entire investigation to do that. Cohen is a known liar, but he's also someone who Trump threw under the bus and has no more reasons to lie. It will be interesting to say the least.

Considering how much the Republican-led house hid and obfuscated during the Republican's control, there are months and months of this sort of thing we need in order to play catch-up.

The thing is, plenty of people have a *lot* of information the public has not been informed of yet (an informed electorate?), regarding the Trump administration's Russia dealings and the inner-workings of his activities.
With Mueller wrapping up, and the House getting the go-ahead from Mueller's team that certain areas area open to public discussion, I agree, this should get interesting.

Well, the cable news services will sure be excited about this.

In all likelihood this will be little more than an opportunity for Democrat House members to grandstand in front of the cameras and it will be a great opportunity for Cohen to spread a little more conjecture. However, it will be little more than a show and it's HIGHLY unlikely that anything substantive will come of the media event.
I think much will depend upon what Cohen claims, and (eventually) if Mueller's report contains backing evidence of his claims. But Stormy related stuff alone, unless highly criminal, won't move the needle that much I suspect.

My sister lives in New Hampshire and she called when she heard this news and said "Come up to New Hampshire that day! We'll make tacos and Trumpburgers!"

Ha. That’s awesome. Sounds like a party!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot will obviously depend upon Cohen's subject of testifying. If only Stormy related, it probably won't move the needle much. If there's serious Russian or other serious stuff he knows of, it could be a bit more of a mover.

Remember, it's not the ends of the political spectrum that need to move, but the middle. At least in terms of 2020. And to those that stay agnostic or undecided, a personal recounting by an individual under oath, if credible appearing, can hold at least some sway.

Trump likely will not be impeached. But he needs to win a 2020 election where he currently has marginal chance with only his base behind him.

I agree. I hope there's a cell phone question, or two.

I have a feeling this was part of the deal Cohen made with the FBI when it was reported he was cooperating even more. This may be Mueller's plan to get out a lot of Trump's secrets without having to wrap up the entire investigation to do that. Cohen is a known liar, but he's also someone who Trump threw under the bus and has no more reasons to lie. It will be interesting to say the least.

So Mueller, after years of investigation and millions of our tax-payer dollars, will choose to release information about the Trump-Russia collusion investigation through a crooked lawyer who has admitted to lying under oath and is going straight to jail after he testifies? That's one helluva strategy.
I would think that the FBI would want to tightly control any damning information so they can control its release so that they make their case for whatever it is they recommend. But, that's just me.
Make sure y'all prepare some nothingburgers for your dining pleasure.

So Mueller, after years of investigation and millions of our tax-payer dollars, will choose to release information about the Trump-Russia collusion investigation through a crooked lawyer who has admitted to lying under oath and is going straight to jail after he testifies? That's one helluva strategy.
I would think that the FBI would want to tightly control any damning information so they can control its release so that they make their case for whatever it is they recommend. But, that's just me.
Make sure y'all prepare some nothingburgers for your dining pleasure.

I will be serving Trumpfuters. Cocktail Trumpfuters

And mushrooms

:popcorn2: (This will be one to watch!)

It will make good television we will see a lot of sanctimonious grand standing but it is basically a waste of time and money. :roll:

I don't know but this could be an event worthy of getting the popcorn out for. The dynamics in play here have the potential to make this quite interesting given that we have a guy here who probably doesn't really care anymore what happens now as he's going to prison anyway. So he might be inclined to to not hold back and just let it all hang out and let the chips fall where they may.

I can hear the trumpettes already. “What a liar, you can’t believe anything he says!!!”

To which I reply, “that’s why Trump hired him”. :)

Back
Top Bottom