• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michael Cohen postpones congressional testimony because of threats to family from Trump and Giuliani

That's false.
Buzzfeed's story was pretty much debunked by Mueller, not Cohen's story.

My mistake. When I said that the Cohen story was debunked by the Mueller team I intended to say that the Cohen story was debunked by the Mueller team, not the other way around. Good catch!

However, on the surface this appears problematic for Cohen. I can't imagine this will look good for him in the public eye. I do believe the circumstances involving his decision is more complex than we might easily recognize.
I got a feeling that it may not go forward a few days ago. That's unfortunately. I was hoping to finally see Democrats asking questions so we can get some answers. Intimidation from POUS, sad.
Trump said:
"He's only been threatened by the truth, and he doesn't want to do that probably for me or other of his clients," Trump said. "He has other clients also, I assume, and he doesn't want to tell the truth for me or other of his clients."

Oh Trump, you're his one and only, don't try to hide it.

I was never a fan of Deutsch's because he's somewhat obnoxious, but he's shared a lot of his insider information from Cohen on Morning Joe the last few months. It's always interesting.

Was his daughter the one in her black bra and panty hose who he Tweeted a picture of?

I don't know why your mind went there, but it did.

Directly from the mouth of Michael Cohen's best friend and confidant who just said this on national television because he just had dinner with Michael Cohen last night and it's what he told Donny Deutsch. Cohen told him this and he's particularly distressed by the threats to his daughter which he described as 'heinous and disgusting'.

So you have insider information. Did he specify what those threats were?

From everything I read, the threats against his family were to open investigations, not to murder them. Still witness tampering though.

Still and all, can't help thinking of Godfather II, when Frank Pentangeli refused to testify after his brother was brought into the hearing room. This and the State of the Union snafu arent funny, but they sure are entertaining.

My mistake. When I said that the Cohen story was debunked by the Mueller team I intended to say that the Cohen story was debunked by the Mueller team, not the other way around. Good catch!

The Mueller team never debunked the Buzzfeed story. They responded saying it was not 'accurate'. 'Debunking' and 'not accurate' are two separate things with entirely different meanings. Buzzfeed refuses to retract it and are sticking by their reporting as being factual.

Now here's the real reason that the Mueller lawyer Peter Carr responded to the Buzzfeed claim within 24 hours of the release of the story. The Mueller investigation has been absolutely unquestioningly close-mouthed about everything for the past two years. They haven't even hinted at a comment about any part of the investigation. Buzzfeed got their information from the court filing, not from any FBI agents associated with the Mueller investigation. This is precisely why Peter Carr made it clear that it did not come from Mueller's team or else the republican bloodsuckers would have jumped down the throats of the FBI and screamed and cried about leaks. Peter Carr laid the story to rest and let people believe it was all Buzzfeeds doing that they reported a story erroneously when in fact they reported it corrected, it was the source of their story that was put to rest by the FBI that it was not them that leaked it. The FBI would rather let Buzzfeed take the fall and let people go on believing it was fake news rather than risk their reputation of not leaking a word from the special counsel.

“BuzzFeed’s description of specific statements to the Special Counsel’s Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen’s congressional testimony are not accurate,”

LOL! "Watch FIL" is a threat? I think it's a threat if Cohen knows his FIL is compromised because he committed crimes. Really, Cohen's reaction pretty much confirms it.

You just don't want to understand how these two comments by Trump are witness intimidation, do you? Okay, continue.

Because that was the first time I ever heard of Michael Cohen. It never left my head since.

That's the first time you heard of Michael Cohen, really? Where have you been hiding out, the moon?

So you have insider information. Did he specify what those threats were?

He did not because he said they were too 'disturbing' to be repeated on television. And, what does it matter what those exact threats were anyway? Isn't it enough that there were threats against his entire family but particularly to his daughter?

Um, that happened.

On top of the charges out of the SDNY, Cohen could have also gained several more years in jail for his lies to the Congress, but Mueller only had him plead guilty, and did not recommend any jail time. Mueller couldn't control that Cohen didn't come completely clean with the SDNY, so he was on his own there.

If Buzzfeed's fake news story was accurate, Cohen wouldn't be serving one day in jail, not to mention it would have been included in Mueller's sentencing memo, and Cohen not testifying because of threats ? How stupid does Cohen think we are ??

Still and all, can't help thinking of Godfather II, when Frank Pentangeli refused to testify after his brother was brought into the hearing room. This and the State of the Union snafu arent funny, but they sure are entertaining.

I thought of that too. Implied threats are still threats, even if they aren't actionable. Enough mistakes have been made by this administration that I find it hard to believe that the Mueller investigation will amount to nothing. Something tells me that all of this evidence is being compiled somewhere and once the investigation is officially concluded, the kraken will be released.

The Mueller team never debunked the Buzzfeed story. They responded saying it was not 'accurate'. 'Debunking' and 'not accurate' are two separate things with entirely different meanings. Buzzfeed refuses to retract it and are sticking by their reporting as being factual.

Now here's the real reason that the Mueller lawyer Peter Carr responded to the Buzzfeed claim within 24 hours of the release of the story. The Mueller investigation has been absolutely unquestioningly close-mouthed about everything for the past two years. They haven't even hinted at a comment about any part of the investigation. Buzzfeed got their information from the court filing, not from any FBI agents associated with the Mueller investigation. This is precisely why Peter Carr made it clear that it did not come from Mueller's team or else the republican bloodsuckers would have jumped down the throats of the FBI and screamed and cried about leaks. Peter Carr laid the story to rest and let people believe it was all Buzzfeeds doing that they reported a story erroneously when in fact they reported it corrected, it was the source of their story that was put to rest by the FBI that it was not them that leaked it. The FBI would rather let Buzzfeed take the fall and let people go on believing it was fake news rather than risk their reputation of not leaking a word from the special counsel.

“BuzzFeed’s description of specific statements to the Special Counsel’s Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen’s congressional testimony are not accurate,”

So your position is that the BuzzFeed story is true and that the Carr comment pretty much serves to verify the truth of the story while removing the Mueller team from the story? Is that what I'm supposed to take away from your comment?

You just don't want to understand how these two comments by Trump are witness intimidation, do you? Okay, continue.

If someone said to watch my FIL, I'd say, "OK, whatever". But if I knew my FIL was a criminal I might have to answer questions about, I'd probably wonder.. There is no court in the land that will consider what Trump wrote as a threat. It only makes Cohen's FIL look guilty to call it a threat.

That's the first time you heard of Michael Cohen, really? Where have you been hiding out, the moon?

No, I live on Earth. Yes, it was the first time I knew of Michael Cohen. Forgive me for not paying attention to him before that. I was focusing on the imbecile who had just parked in the Oval Office 4 months prior, and not his personal attorney.

Was there a reason you had to be so obnoxious in your response? Never mind. I'll move on to people who don't ask rude questions like that.

If someone said to watch my FIL, I'd say, "OK, whatever". But if I knew my FIL was a criminal I might have to answer questions about, I'd probably wonder.. There is no court in the land that will consider what Trump wrote as a threat. It only makes Cohen's FIL look guilty to call it a threat.
Funny how the Left is all outraged over some relatively innocuous thing Trump tweets, but completely ignores Catholic children getting death threats out in the open.
"Watch FIL"- oh my GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWD!!
"Die head first in a wood chipper"- what's for lunch?

Source: (CNBC) Michael Cohen postpones congressional testimony because of threats to family from Trump and Giulianil

This is freshly breaking, so I can't extensively comment due to not having a lot of information.

However, on the surface this appears problematic for Cohen. I can't imagine this will look good for him in the public eye. I do believe the circumstances involving his decision is more complex than we might easily recognize.

Can he even call for a postponement? I’m not sure that he can make that decision.

I got a feeling that it may not go forward a few days ago. That's unfortunately. I was hoping to finally see Democrats asking questions so we can get some answers. Intimidation from POUS, sad.

Oh Trump, you're his one and only, don't try to hide it.

I seem to recall that Sean Hannitty is/was also a client of Michael Cohen. Real Estate deals are Michael's specialty.

Cohen's so greasy he will most likely slide right out of the witness chair.

Anyone other than myself noticed a pattern of Trump associating himself with these sleezeballs of a criminal element? :confused:

What does your own common sense tell you about that? Nevermind. Rhetorical question. :roll:

Trump be like an international OG.

King Sleezeball!

:allhail

So your position is that the BuzzFeed story is true and that the Carr comment pretty much serves to verify the truth of the story while removing the Mueller team from the story? Is that what I'm supposed to take away from your comment?

Absolutely.

No, I live on Earth. Yes, it was the first time I knew of Michael Cohen. Forgive me for not paying attention to him before that. I was focusing on the imbecile who had just parked in the Oval Office 4 months prior, and not his personal attorney.

Was there a reason you had to be so obnoxious in your response? Never mind. I'll move on to people who don't ask rude questions like that.

I'll double down on my 'obnoxiousness' by asking why it is that you hadn't ever heard of Michael Cohen since the beginning of all of this trouble was because of the revelations of the Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal hush money that was paid for with campaign funds? That news took the attention of the entire planet and it was in our faces on television morning, noon and night all with photos of Trump and Stormy Daniels. And Michael Avenatti appeared on television nearly every night on any channel he could get booked on just to talk about Michael Cohen's payoff to these women to keep them quiet just weeks before the election? Michael Cohen's name and face are nearly as recognizable worldwide as Trump's is. Maybe your name is a clue as to why you had no idea who he was.

Last edited:
He did not because he said they were too 'disturbing' to be repeated on television. And, what does it matter what those exact threats were anyway? Isn't it enough that there were threats against his entire family but particularly to his daughter?

It doesn't matter really. I just wanted the inside scoop.

I'll double down on my 'obnoxiousness' by asking why it is that you hadn't ever heard of Michael Cohen since the beginning of all of this trouble was because of the revelations of the Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal hush money that was paid for with campaign funds? That news took the attention of the entire planet and it was in our faces on television morning, noon and night all with photos of Trump and Stormy Daniels. And Michael Avenatti appeared on television nearly every night on any channel he could get booked on just to talk about Michael Cohen's payoff to these women to keep them quiet just weeks before the election? Michael Cohen's name and face are nearly as recognizable worldwide as Trump's is. Maybe your name is a clue as to why you had no idea who he was.

Stormy Daniels' and Karen McDougal's stories of the Cohen payouts broke in March of 2018. The picture of his daughter when I first knew of him was Tweeted in May of 2017. May of 2017 was 10 months earlier than March of 2018.

Looks like you're the one who needs a clue. And some manners.

Stormy Daniels' and Karen McDougal's stories of the Cohen payouts broke in March of 2018. The picture of his daughter when I first knew of him was Tweeted in May of 2017. May of 2017 was 10 months earlier than March of 2018.

Looks like you're the one who needs a clue. And some manners.

Wrong. The scandal arose after the existence of a nondisclosure agreement signed by Daniels and Trump was revealed by The Wall Street Journal in January 2018. I have never seen any tweet or photograph of Michael Cohen's daughter that he tweeted himself 'wearing black bra and panty hose; but you obviously have. Strange that it's not Michael Cohen you remembered from the photo on his own twitter account, that's odd.

Back
Top Bottom