• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michael Cohen explains why Trump likes Putin

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Michael Cohen explains why Trump likes Putin and what Trump really thinks of his supporters

Trump praised Putin in 2016 because he assumed he'd lose the election, writes Cohen, and wanted to make sure he could borrow money from Russian sources.

fCBpKBlD

9/7/20
WASHINGTON — Donald Trump is an authoritarian, racist sexual predator, according to a new book by his former lawyer and confidant, who says Trump admires ruthless dictators and openly mocks the working-class Americans he has duped into supporting him. In "Disloyal: A Memoir," the lawyer, Michael Cohen, writes that he believes his longtime client won't leave office willingly if he is defeated in the November election. Cohen said Trump praised Russian President Vladimir Putin during the 2016 campaign because he assumed he would lose and wanted to make sure he could borrow money from Russian sources for his real estate empire. As previously detailed in court records, Trump also had dispatched Cohen to try to build a Trump Tower Moscow, a 120-story building in Red Square with a free penthouse apartment for Putin. "The whole idea of patriotism and treason became irrelevant in his mind," Cohen writes. "Trump was using the campaign to make money for himself: of course he was." It wasn't a new concept, Cohen writes. When a Russian oligarch bought Trump's mansion in Palm Beach, Florida, in 2008 for nearly double what Trump paid for it — a $50 million profit — Trump believed Putin was secretly funding the deal, Cohen writes. As he told Congress, Cohen says he was present when Trump discussed a WikiLeaks dump of hacked Democratic emails before their release.

"What appeared to be collusion," Cohen writes, "was really a confluence of shared interests in harming Hillary Clinton in any way possible, up to and including interfering in the American election — a subject that caused Trump precisely zero unease." With Putin, it wasn't just self-interest — Trump genuinely admires the Russian leader, Cohen says. Trump worships wealth and power, Cohen writes. "Everyone other than the ruling class on earth was like an ant, to his way of thinking, their lives meaningless and always subject to the whims of the true rulers of the world," he writes. "The cosmic joke was that Trump convinced a vast swath of working-class white folks in the Midwest that he cared about their well-being. The truth was that he couldn't care less." Throughout the book, Cohen expresses regret for his complicity in all this behavior, portraying himself as a deluded member of a Trump cult. In an exclusive interview "NBC Nightly News" anchor Lester Holt, Cohen said: "Donald Trump will do anything and everything ... to win. And I believe that includes manipulating the ballots."

Nothing really ground breaking. But Cohen's descriptions of Trump lend credence to all the other books from those who know Trump, describing him as a mentally disturbed and morally debased individual.

Trump "suckered" the Republican base so easily in 2016. You have to give him credit for following the Rush/Sean game plan.

Cohen has also said that if Trump loses the election in November, he'll resign.

Pence will take over and the first thing Pence will do is pardon Trump.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Michael Cohen explains why Trump likes Putin and what Trump really thinks of his supporters

Trump praised Putin in 2016 because he assumed he'd lose the election, writes Cohen, and wanted to make sure he could borrow money from Russian sources.

fCBpKBlD

Nothing really ground breaking. But Cohen's descriptions of Trump lend credence to all the other books from those who know Trump, describing him as a mentally disturbed and morally debased individual.

Trump has never cared about anyone but himself his entire life. Why would he change when running for president?

That wouldn't surprise me one bit.

What if Pence says, “nuh un?”

I don’t know what Pence has as far a political future, but he would surely piss off a segment of the electorate. Trump will face state problems as well.......

PS the picture in the OP tells many things......

fCBpKBlD

Trump has contempt for his supporters. Only the morons didn't already know that.

What if Pence says, “nuh un?”

I don’t know what Pence has as far a political future, but he would surely piss off a segment of the electorate. Trump will face state problems as well.......

It's possible. I suppose it depends on how thoroughly the Republican Party distances itself from Trump in the event of a loss. If it is a close election, I suspect they'll make Trump into a martyr and have him pardoned to do circuits on cable news throughout the Biden administration. If it is a landslide for Biden, I suspect Trump to be labeled a RINO and offered up as a scapegoat for the party. He may even do jail time along with his cronies and some of his family in an effort to try to win back the law and order Lincoln Project-style Republicans.

He can't pardon him for state crimes.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

The issue is Pence can't pardon him. Trump faces State charges, not Federal charges.

The issue is Pence can't pardon him. Trump faces State charges, not Federal charges.

He faces both. Pence could pardon him from the federal. Note - Cohen isn't saying this will happen, he says it's a theory he thinks could happen.

Back
Top Bottom