• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Miami ICU nurse: I have never in my life seen so many deaths

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Their final breaths are tormented. Rublas Ruiz has seen too many of them -- the last gasps of 17 men and women who died of the coronavirus.

A 41-year-old ICU nurse in Miami’s Kendall Regional Medical Center, Ruiz has witnessed the desperate, pleading, wide-eyed, barely there gasps.

“The fear in their eyes when they can’t get enough air. They are so scared,” he says, quietly. “Their eyes are big, desperate to get the oxygen and that makes me so sad.”

He sits on their bed, grasps their hand, strokes their cheek and prays. Anything to soothe them.
=====================================================================
Better get used to it.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Their final breaths are tormented. Rublas Ruiz has seen too many of them -- the last gasps of 17 men and women who died of the coronavirus.

A 41-year-old ICU nurse in Miami’s Kendall Regional Medical Center, Ruiz has witnessed the desperate, pleading, wide-eyed, barely there gasps.

“The fear in their eyes when they can’t get enough air. They are so scared,” he says, quietly. “Their eyes are big, desperate to get the oxygen and that makes me so sad.”

He sits on their bed, grasps their hand, strokes their cheek and prays. Anything to soothe them.
=====================================================================
Better get used to it.

As a nurse, I've been there, but not even close to that scale of death. And I'll tell you something, there's still images imprinted in my memory that are as clear today as they were 30 years ago. These front line workers will be deeply affected for the rest of their lives, I have no doubt about that. There's another thing at play here in the future. There's many young people who may have had a goal of becoming one of those front line workers. Perhaps as a nurse, x-ray tech, phlebotomist, respiratory therapist or doctor. I believe that unless they've had a life-long altruistic dream of healing people and giving of themselves in a committed and empathetic way, they may be re-thinking their choice of careers today. Service in medicine is more than a career choice, it's a lifetime commitment that is sometimes a thankless profession.

Back
Top Bottom