• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mexico travel restrictions

Nickyjo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Apparently Mexico is denying entry to Americans on the border, according to this morning's paper. Mexican president was quoted as saying:

“When the US sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

He then went on to quote a poem comparing US visitors to oisonous snakes.

Apparently Mexico is denying entry to Americans on the border, according to this morning's paper. Mexican president was quoted as saying:

“When the US sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

I have been trying to go to Mexico the past few months. They have denied me entry.

Link?

I have been trying to go to Mexico the past few months. They have denied me entry.

We have a friend who returned from 2 weeks in Cancun (that's not a place in Mexico I would consider) she just completed her two weeks of self-imposed quarantine. She had a fine time.

We generally make a day trip to Algodones 2 to 3 times a year. Can't now as border towns are not closed. But flights into Mexico from the US are not.

I wouldn't go to Mexico now, but that's me. No matter, I'm not sure why you can't travel to Mexico.

It was from the hard copy of the SF Chronicle news service in today's paper. Tried to find it on line w/o success. This apparently does not apply to flights to the interior as friends recently flew there, but just along the border, due to fears of numbers of virus cases there. The article mentioned that this was an extension of an existing ban.

Lets build the wall. mexico can deport illegal Americans and we'll deport illegal mexicans. Millions of em. If you are a democrat you believe in MIGA "make illegals great again", and your party will work for the benefit of illegals at every turn. MAGA is anathema to a democrat.

Lets build the wall. mexico can deport illegal Americans and we'll deport illegal mexicans. Millions of em. If you are a democrat you believe in MIGA "make illegals great again", and your party will work for the benefit of illegals at every turn. MAGA is anathema to a democrat.

Hey, don't knock illegals. They give us cheaper fruit and veggies, lower priced hotel rooms, and best of all, people for Trump and others to blame for stuff. Of course, republicans could get rid many illegals if they could bring themselves to back policies that might increase wages and thus.... WHAT!?!?, ARE YOU CRAZY!?! RAISE THE MINIMUM WAGE!?!?, SUPPORT UNIONS!?!... Sorry, my republican brother in law saw what I was writing and had to butt in. As I was saying, increasing wages might make jobs more attractive to legals and citizens.

And I repeat the great words of comedian Paul Rodriguez, who when Bo Derek complained about illegals, said, "If you don't like illegals, strap on a leaf-blower." I have spent a lot of time since then fantasizing about Bo Derek wearing a leaf-blower.... sigh...

Hey, don't knock illegals. They give us cheaper fruit and veggies, lower priced hotel rooms, and best of all, people for Trump and others to blame for stuff. Of course, republicans could get rid many illegals if they could bring themselves to back policies that might increase wages and thus.... WHAT!?!?, ARE YOU CRAZY!?! RAISE THE MINIMUM WAGE!?!?, SUPPORT UNIONS!?!... Sorry, my republican brother in law saw what I was writing and had to butt in. As I was saying, increasing wages might make jobs more attractive to legals and citizens.

And I repeat the great words of comedian Paul Rodriguez, who when Bo Derek complained about illegals, said, "If you don't like illegals, strap on a leaf-blower." I have spent a lot of time since then fantasizing about Bo Derek wearing a leaf-blower.... sigh...

If we didn't have illegals, wages would rise naturally. Illegals suppress wages. Illegals corrupt labor, politicians, encourage breaking the law. They even add billions of expense to local governments. Those schools and hospitals, courts, jails cost money to local communities . Then illegals send billions back home to mexico instead of that money circulating in our economy.

When I was growing up as a kid, no one ever saw or heard of an illegal. We had plenty of everything.

I can still drive across the border into Sonora to Puerto Penasco or El Golfo and hang on the beach.

It was from the hard copy of the SF Chronicle news service in today's paper. Tried to find it on line w/o success. This apparently does not apply to flights to the interior as friends recently flew there, but just along the border, due to fears of numbers of virus cases there. The article mentioned that this was an extension of an existing ban.

Maybe they need to kick in and help pay for the wall since they need it too.

I seriously doubt out President said anything like that. He has many more important issues to deal with that to poke the bear.

If we didn't have illegals, wages would rise naturally. Illegals suppress wages. Illegals corrupt labor, politicians, encourage breaking the law. They even add billions of expense to local governments. Those schools and hospitals, courts, jails cost money to local communities . Then illegals send billions back home to mexico instead of that money circulating in our economy.

When I was growing up as a kid, no one ever saw or heard of an illegal. We had plenty of everything.

Illegals have been around for a long time. Mexican friends in the 1960s used to joke that California was just “prestado,” loaned to the US. The problem is that the same conservative forces who rail against illegals, resist things like a national ID, support of unions, heavy fines on employers, etc. So, do we catch and deport all the illegals, then wait for wages to go up, or do we set policies that will raise wages and make cleaning motel rooms in the southwest more attractive to Americans? There is also a racial aspect here. Forty percent of more of illegals are visa-overstayers, yet politicians don’t target them as John the barista may be less visible than Juan the gardener. The US has two characteristics most other developed countries don’t: sharing a land border with a relatively poor country, and an addiction to cheap labor dating from 1619 when slaves arrived, to the Irish and Germans, then Italians and Jews and on to Latinos these days. That some of the Latinos are illegal is just a footnote to history. The US has gone to war to insist that our capital be able to cross borders, despite the problems it creates. Prohibiting labor from doing the same thing is pretty hypocritical.

As to illegals being a burden, they probably pay more in taxes than they take in services. The money Mexicans send home probably keeps that country more stable. Mexico’s economy had improved and fewer illegals were coming when Trump launched his racially-tinged attack. But to be fair, Trump has attacked all forms of legal immigration with lies and insults, from documented immigrants to refugees.

You do realize that illegals help keep wages low especially in the types of jobs that pay minimum wage.

Illegals have been around for a long time. Mexican friends in the 1960s used to joke that California was just “prestado,” loaned to the US. The problem is that the same conservative forces who rail against illegals, resist things like a national ID, support of unions, heavy fines on employers, etc. So, do we catch and deport all the illegals, then wait for wages to go up, or do we set policies that will raise wages and make cleaning motel rooms in the southwest more attractive to Americans? There is also a racial aspect here. Forty percent of more of illegals are visa-overstayers, yet politicians don’t target them as John the barista may be less visible than Juan the gardener. The US has two characteristics most other developed countries don’t: sharing a land border with a relatively poor country, and an addiction to cheap labor dating from 1619 when slaves arrived, to the Irish and Germans, then Italians and Jews and on to Latinos these days. That some of the Latinos are illegal is just a footnote to history. The US has gone to war to insist that our capital be able to cross borders, despite the problems it creates. Prohibiting labor from doing the same thing is pretty hypocritical.

As to illegals being a burden, they probably pay more in taxes than they take in services. The money Mexicans send home probably keeps that country more stable. Mexico’s economy had improved and fewer illegals were coming when Trump launched his racially-tinged attack. But to be fair, Trump has attacked all forms of legal immigration with lies and insults, from documented immigrants to refugees.
Up until COVID we as a nation had very low unemployment. How is artificially raising wages going to stop illegal immigration. Please explain exactly how you think that is going to happen. The vast vast majority of Americans that wanted to work were already working. How will raising pay change that.

Completely fake.

Damn trolls spewing spam.

Your party wants to grant them amnesty then pathway to citizenship. Talk about a magnet.

You do realize that illegals help keep wages low especially in the types of jobs that pay minimum wage.

Of course. My posts were to point out our national ambivalence (and at times hypocrisy) about the situation.

Up until COVID we as a nation had very low unemployment. How is artificially raising wages going to stop illegal immigration. Please explain exactly how you think that is going to happen. The vast vast majority of Americans that wanted to work were already working. How will raising pay change that.

I was talking about more normal times than now. But one could raise the minimum wage, repeal right-to-work laws, appoint more liberal people to the various agencies that govern working conditions. If there is a severe labor shortage, increasing legal immigration can handle that.

I am glad it is not about race with them.

Everyone is probably going to have to shut down international travel for a while.

Your party wants to grant them amnesty then pathway to citizenship. Talk about a magnet.

Reagan did the first amnesty. Here’s the difference: republicans want the cheap labor; democrats want it to be legal cheap labor.

I am glad it is not about race with them.

Today’s paper says that Canada is closing it’s border to us. Now both Mexico and Canada think we are not sending our best people, that we bring crime, are rapists... Some of us still are good people, however.

Back
Top Bottom