• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mexico court backs gay marriages

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Mexico court backs gay marriages - Americas - Al Jazeera English
Mexico's supreme court has upheld a law allowing same-sex marriages in the capital, dealing a blow to federal prosecutors who argued that it violated the constiutional protection of the family.

The justices' eight to two ruling on Thursday will be seen as legal victory for hundreds of gay couples who have been married in Mexico City since the landmark law took effect on March 4.

Passed last December, the law had become the first in Latin America explicitly giving gay marriages the same status as heterosexual ones, including adoption rights.

Excellent news :) It seems the developed world is moving onto the same page. Hopefully the US will soon follow as a whole.

Yes, let's be like the rest of the world. Like.....er......well........

Well, if you prefer, we could be like Iran and the Sudan, which chops the heads off gay people, but I don't believe that would be very civilized. I think I'd rather we be like most of the rest of the world instead.

Well, if you prefer, we could be like Iran and the Sudan, which chops the heads off gay people, but I don't believe that would be very civilized. I think I'd rather we be like most of the rest of the world instead.

Like who? Like many other countries, America is slowly losing its soul.

I remember growing up that we were taught that "America is the free-est Country in the world". Sad....we are falling further and further behind. There are many countries now that have more freedoms than the US....but I agree...hopefully the US will catch up one day.

Canada legalized same-sex marriage at the Federal level in 2005... becoming the first in the Americas to do it.

We've had no problems since then. It would seem that families in Canada haven't imploded and our children aren't being born with devil horns. I mean, the religious right is biding their time for their pipe dream day where they can maybe repeal it, but it's not going to happen.

There is no logical or secular argument against marriage for all adult couples who want it, just silly emotional appeals.

I remember growing up that we were taught that "America is the free-est Country in the world". Sad....we are falling further and further behind. There are many countries now that have more freedoms than the US....but I agree...hopefully the US will catch up one day.

Who is freer than us exactly?

Like who? Like many other countries, America is slowly losing its soul.

If it's losing its soul, it's only because there are busy bodies who don't seem to understand the rights of the individual, and want their morality forced upon everyone else. This is true of both the left and right wing in your nation. No one is forcing you to like gays, but the constitution gives everyone equal protection. You may not understand what that means, but thankfully you don't have to. The law works even in the presence of ignorance.

Well I think on the absolute scale, we still enjoy more freedoms here than they do in Mexico. Yet the point is still valid. A place like Mexico legalizes same sex marriage whereas here we're still stuck in this dark ages mentality in which we discriminate against same sex couples because it some how offends our "senses" in some way.

Canada legalized same-sex marriage at the Federal level in 2005... becoming the first in the Americas to do it.

We've had no problems since then. It would seem that families in Canada haven't imploded and our children aren't being born with devil horns. I mean, the religious right is biding their time for their pipe dream day where they can maybe repeal it, but it's not going to happen.

There is no logical or secular argument against marriage for all adult couples who want it, just silly emotional appeals.

It's simply not marriage. Call it what you want, but they're not married. They can't conceive, and no real church is going to acknowledge it. Again, it's just playing house.

Canada lost its soul a LONG time ago. You're getting the hell taxed out of you, your healthcare is a disaster, and if not for oil exports, you'd be economically irrelevent.

Freedom and and justice for all, or nothing.

I look forward to another 150 pages of battling bigotry.

It's simply not marriage. Call it what you want, but they're not married. They can't conceive, and no real church is going to acknowledge it. Again, it's just playing house.

The Marriage License is a government issued and recognized contract. Your god has nothing to do with it. We do not live in a theocracy, this is a secular government.

Canada lost its soul a LONG time ago. You're getting the hell taxed out of you, your healthcare is a disaster, and if not for oil exports, you'd be economically irrelevent.

Your ignorance is astounding.

Mind boggling in fact. Why don't you actually learn about your nieghbours to the north before commenting on us.

Oh and i don't give a flying **** if the church recognizes gay marriage, as long as the government does.

Yes, the land run entirely by the drug cartels. Excellent role model for us.

Hey look, a straw man.

In one area(that means not every area, do you understand now), we are behind Mexico.

Marriage as defined by the government(hint: what the church calls it is irrelevant) is what we are talking about. If the government says gays can marry, you can call it what you want, but in the eyes of the law(the eyes that matter), they will be married.

The Marriage License is a government issued and recognized contract. Your god has nothing to do with it. We do not live in a theocracy, this is a secular government.

Go read your $1 bill. This country was founded entirely in Judao-Christian beliefs, then brilliantly, constructed the Constitution so the church would not preside over government, a la the Church of England during that time period.

That does not mean our government is secular in nature; otherwise, every president wouldn't end their addresses with "God Bless the United States of America" and they would take their presidential oath with their hand on the Bible.

Hey look, a straw man.

In one area(that means not every area, do you understand now), we are behind Mexico.

I always thought we were north of Mexico.

Go read your $1 bill. This country was founded entirely in Judao-Christian beliefs, then brilliantly, constructed the Constitution so the church would not preside over government, a la the Church of England during that time period.

That does not mean our government is secular in nature; othewise, every president wouldn't end their addresses with "God Bless the United States of America" and they would take their presidential oath with their hand on the Bible.

It doesn't matter what people say. If they want to say "god bless the USA", they are free to do so. And you don't have to place your hand on the Bible either to take the oath. The fact of the matter is, the United States was not set up to be a theocracy. It was meant to establish freedom of religion in a way which did not entangle Church and State. You cannot make a law holding me responsible to the rules of your god; our laws are to be based in the rights and liberties of the individual. Your god has nothing to do with it, nor should it ever. Implementing theocratic law is a violation of the 1st. The government is indeed secular.

Your ignorance is astounding.

Mind boggling in fact. Why don't you actually learn about your nieghbours to the north before commenting on us.

Oh and i don't give a flying **** if the church recognizes gay marriage, as long as the government does.

Oh, I know you luuuuuvvvv you some government. LOL

It doesn't matter what people say. If they want to say "god bless the USA", they are free to do so. And you don't have to place your hand on the Bible either to take the oath. The fact of the matter is, the United States was not set up to be a theocracy. It was meant to establish freedom of religion in a way which did not entangle Church and State. You cannot make a law holding me responsible to the rules of your god; our laws are to be based in the rights and liberties of the individual. Your god has nothing to do with it, nor should it ever. Implementing theocratic law is a violation of the 1st. The government is indeed secular.

Nor did I say America was designed to be a theocracy. Judao-Christian beliefs did, however, play a HUGE role in the writing of both the Declaration and the Constitution.

Look, I know the well-spun twisted liberal argument for gay marriage. I also know it's complete crap, as does 72 percent of the population apparently by the polls.

Hey look, a straw man.

Mexico shouldn't be an example of anything. It is a million-time loser of a country. They treat their people like animals.

Nor did I say America was designed to be a theocracy. Judao-Christian beliefs did, however, play a HUGE role in the writing of both the Declaration and the Constitution.

Look, I know the well-spun twisted liberal argument for gay marriage. I also know it's complete crap, as does 72 percent of the population apparently by the polls.

Appeal to populism doesn't count for valid argument. It wasn't Judao-Chirstian beliefs, only maybe 30% of the 10 Commandments made it into actual law. The fact remains that you cannot subject me to the rules of your god and use government force to enforce that subjugation. The Marriage License is a contract, plain and simple. The individual has right to contract. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom