• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Messing with package thieves

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This guy is, apparently, some kind of rocket scientist who has a good bit of spare time, a few extra bucks and/or friends with great production capabilities.

This guy is, apparently, some kind of rocket scientist who has a good bit of spare time, a few extra bucks and/or friends with great production capabilities.

Just saw a story on the news about a lady who collects the poop from her five big dogs and packages in in a amazon box and sets it on her front porch.

Apparently this is a huge problem now, and also Apparently none of the ideas of solutions are working.

How is e-commerce certainly the way of the future when we have not figured out the solution to a critical flaw in the program?

Public executions for package thieves and hackers. I know it sounds extreme, but give it a chance.........

Apparently this is a huge problem now, and also Apparently none of the ideas of solutions are working.

How is e-commerce certainly the way of the future when we have not figured out the solution to a critical flaw in the program?
Yestt erday afternoon I had a package delivered; I saw the delivery truck pull up so I got up from my desk and walked to the door to bring it in. The truck took off but as I opened the front door I see a call slow-rolling past my house with the driver scoping out the porch. As soon as he saw me he decided he had somewhere else to be and sped away.

Yestt erday afternoon I had a package delivered; I saw the delivery truck pull up so I got up from my desk and walked to the door to bring it in. The truck took off but as I opened the front door I see a call slow-rolling past my house with the driver scoping out the porch. As soon as he saw me he decided he had somewhere else to be and sped away.

I read that right now Amazon sends a replacement no questions asked but that is not going to last, we need a solution.

I read that right now Amazon sends a replacement no questions asked but that is not going to last, we need a solution.

Since we are headed for more online purchasing we as consumers are going to need investing in locked mail drop boxes on our front porch.

My solution is to have my mail...all of it...delivered to my office.

I LOVE it! I haven’t laughed that hard in days. Thanks. :)

Thieves will actually follow the delivery trucks around and pick up what they drop off. I thought about getting one of those lock boxes as well.

Well to that point I was reading a few days ago that we have these already but that those who have them claim that delivery people dont use them even when there is a big note on the door.

They are in a hurry you see, maybe dont care.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...-climb-more-americans-shop-online/2218910002/

I can see that. Most people with that kind of repetitive job are on “autopilot” throughout most of their work day anyway. Such lock boxes will probably have to become more common before the carriers make it a habit of looking for them.

I can see that. Most people with that kind of repetitive job are on “autopilot” throughout most of their work day anyway. Such lock boxes will probably have to become more common before the carriers make it a habit of looking for them.

No, you have to know where you went wrong here....with as much as they do it they should have their brains trained to find even the smallest of notes, and the most out of the way of lock boxes. What is required is accountability for failure to get the job done correctly, something I am confident that you know as well as I do is largely absent in this society now...we used to be better.

This is, unfortunately not a new problem, one way or another. During the 60's and 70's thieves actually became choosey as to which car radio systems to steal from parked cars, with BMW earning a rename as Break My Window, cars parked in apartment building to commercial garages having removable heads, and creative responses with mannequins and life size dolls. Eventually some of the solutions were banned for causing bodily harm. I would leave my car doors unlocked, remove the radio myself, and still get broken into, with windows rolled down to avoid the inconvenience of fixing windows but junkies don't know the difference. Trash in gift boxes did not hurt antitheft efforts.

This was a repeat performance in the building I reside in, it had garage as a target for upper end cars, until a few of the neighbors who hid waiting for the thieves. The thieves didn't want the cars, just the contents. After 4 to 5 were found hanging from lamp posts out doors by their feet thanks to Albanian tenants did the problems cease, and the police start running patrols to avoid the results in the press. Albanians became desirable tenants.

One of my neighbors was thrown out by his wife for coming home drunk, went to sleep in his Mercedes to be rudely awoken by a thief pushing him aside to get to the glove box. A retired pro-boxer nearly killed the thief with his fists. Dragged him out of the garage to wake in the gutter while he went back to sleep.

Girlfriend gets in the car and sees the glitter: "Who you had in here?" :shock: :lamo

Loved the video! The other day there was a story that a young child was taught to be the one to go and retrieve the packages from homes while the parents stayed in the getaway car.
Gosh this time of year it has become a gamble if your packages will be there when you get home. More affluent neighborhoods seem to be at greater risk.

It's a lowlife that will steal but it's a really crappy person that would steal what are most likely presents for others during the holiday season.

One thing that bothers me is certain big items they don't even bother to box up. They just mail it in it's original box for all to see what it is. A basketball backboard, a hockey goalie net, a playhouse, a power washer are a few that come to mind. There they sit on the front porch for all to see.

Tracking the packages at least gives you a time span when they will be delivered and it is wonderful to have neighbors you can ask to keep an eye open when something will be delivered if it is impossible for you to be home.

I see the day coming we will all have to have a camera system installed with apps to our phones that can monitor, alert and record the unwelcomed persons on our property.

Loved the video! The other day there was a story that a young child was taught to be the one to go and retrieve the packages from homes while the parents stayed in the getaway car.
Gosh this time of year it has become a gamble if your packages will be there when you get home. More affluent neighborhoods seem to be at greater risk.

It's a lowlife that will steal but it's a really crappy person that would steal what are most likely presents for others during the holiday season.

One thing that bothers me is certain big items they don't even bother to box up. They just mail it in it's original box for all to see what it is. A basketball backboard, a hockey goalie net, a playhouse, a power washer are a few that come to mind. There they sit on the front porch for all to see.

Tracking the packages at least gives you a time span when they will be delivered and it is wonderful to have neighbors you can ask to keep an eye open when something will be delivered if it is impossible for you to be home.

I see the day coming we will all have to have a camera system installed with apps to our phones that can monitor, alert and record the unwelcomed persons on our property.

Yep. Unfortunately cameras only help with the thieves stupid enough to give a clear shot of their face or vehicle. Even then, it isn’t likely to be a priority for police.

Yep. Unfortunately cameras only help with the thieves stupid enough to give a clear shot of their face or vehicle. Even then, it isn’t likely to be a priority for police.

True Bob to a point. In my neighborhood stealing is still a priority because we are not a high crime area. But if I had a camera and my neighbor had a camera there's a good chance that they could glean enough identification to identify the person(s).

LORD how sweet it would be if every city, town was Mayberry.

He should sell these.

Public executions for package thieves and hackers. I know it sounds extreme, but give it a chance.........

Too harsh. Just cut off their weak hand with a plastic bagel knife.
It may take a few hours, but hey, it will be a learning experience for them.
...or dip it in batter and deep fat fry it until the bell dings.
Film at 11.

Tis the time of the season...
I just received my last on-line orders today.
No more till January.

Secure pick-up points seem to work well. I can send all of my Amazon packages to the local post office.

True Bob to a point. In my neighborhood stealing is still a priority because we are not a high crime area. But if I had a camera and my neighbor had a camera there's a good chance that they could glean enough identification to identify the person(s).

LORD how sweet it would be if every city, town was Mayberry.

Very fair point. It is definitely something that would vary from place to place.

Last edited:
Secure pick-up points seem to work well. I can send all of my Amazon packages to the local post office.

Maybe that is the best we can do, instead of running to the store you run to a "Secure pick up point".

Shopping like travel used to be an experience, something to be looked forward too, now it is a chore that adds little quality to our lives.

Feels like more of civilization going in reverse.

I honestly don't get how these US companies operate.
How can you have a delivery service that does not obtain proof of delivery, by having the customer sign off in some way?
Why would any customer of questionable morals ever abstain from cancelling payment, claiming non-delivery? And why would any ditto delivery personnel abstain from stealing the best packages?

Back
Top Bottom