• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mesa, AZ student arrested for indecent exposure in yearbook picture Read more: http:

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Re: Mesa, AZ student arrested for indecent exposure in yearbook picture Read more: h

Mesa, AZ student arrested for indecent exposure in yearbook pict - CBS 5 - KPHO

69 misdemeanors and one felony...so far. That's absurd.

A teenage kid does something stupid that you actually have to look for to even notice and you throw the book at him like that? No freaking way. The prank deserves a stern talking to and a new nickname but anything beyond that is total overreaction.

He was an adult. Exactly what should have been done, if not charges?

Re: Mesa, AZ student arrested for indecent exposure in yearbook picture Read more: h

I covered that. He deserved a stern warning and a new nickname. It was right there in my OP.

I covered that. He deserved a stern warning and a new nickname. It was right there in my OP.

A stern warning from whom? He's an adult.

If not charges then nothing.

I'm almost certain the furnishing charge won't stick if taken to trial, and really the basis for any charges is at best tenuous. This is a prosecutor trying to scare a plea deal

This is stupid. Can we jail the prosecutor for being an asshole?

If not charges then nothing.

I'm almost certain the furnishing charge won't stick if taken to trial, and really the basis for any charges is at best tenuous. This is a prosecutor trying to scare a plea deal

Causing another person to commit an act that would constitute a crime, except for a defense available to said other person (such as ignorance), makes one guilty of the same crime, if one acts with a mental state sufficient for the commission of the offense.

So if he knew the picture could go in the yearbook, then he's guilty of furnishing.

And the exposure charges are pretty unequivocal.

A teenage kid does something stupid that you actually have to look for to even notice and you throw the book at him like that? No freaking way. The prank deserves a stern talking to and a new nickname but anything beyond that is total overreaction.

Ridiculous... he could have t o register as a sex offender and automatically be denied a variety of jobs for his life... cop, teacher, etc.

Seriously, judges need to be able to punish prosecutors that come with an excessive amount of charges. Hell, they should be punished any time they try to stack charges against someone.

I think the attorney's office and the police could use some budget cuts. These people are clearly underworked and overstaffed.

I think the attorney's office and the police could use some budget cuts. These people are clearly underworked and overstaffed.

No, like I said, there needs to be more rules on the charges that are allowed to be filed. There is no good reason to allow attorneys to get away with throwing every charge they can imagine at people. They should lose their license when they show up with sixty-nine misdemeanors and one felony for a crime.

No, like I said, there needs to be more rules on the charges that are allowed to be filed. There is no good reason to allow attorneys to get away with throwing every charge they can imagine at people. They should lose their license when they show up with sixty-nine misdemeanors and one felony for a crime.

What if a person commits a crime with sixty-nine victims?

What if a person commits a crime with sixty-nine victims?

Well, ok, but that wouldn't be a case of stacking the deck like this case.

what a frigging waste of tax dollars. we have an entire family executed in Ohio, children being shot everyday in Chicago, terrorists gunning down innocents in San Bernadino, other terrorists blowing up Marathon runners in Boston, and that is what felony charges should be for. Not petty crap like this.

Well, ok, but that wouldn't be a case of stacking the deck like this case.

He exposed himself to sixty-nine people, depending on state law, that could be charged as sixty-nine separate crimes.

This is stupid. Can we jail the prosecutor for being an asshole?

If we jail prosecutors for being assholes, we would end up jailing 99% of them.

If we jail prosecutors for being assholes, we would end up jailing 99% of them.

I'd say its more like 45% and that comes from 30 years experience of dealing with them daily

Latest news I hear is that he will NOT face felony charges, They showed the yearbook page or the football team picture, It covers a whole 1/8th of the page.. You would have to get a magnifying glass to see anything... I would almost guess that the outcry of the public was helpful in stopping this. Was he stupid? Yes.. I can think of a few things I did in high school and I am glad no camera's were around at the time.

djl

It's a sex offense, too. Lands you into the database where there's no escaping from.

I think it is absurd to to try to charge someone 69 misdemeanors and one felony for one thing. I think charge stacking or whatever it is they call it should be illegal.Someone arrested for indecent exposure should be just charged with incident exposure.

I agree that the criminal charges may go a little far, but this deserves more that a "stern talking to and a new nickname" - I'm sure he's already had both of those. What it does merit, in my view, is an order of restitution in the full amount of the 3,800 yearbooks that were distributed, plus the cost of reprinting the yearbook without the offending picture and, finally, some further financial penalty paid to both the school and the community. But a criminal record - that's a bridge too far.

I agree that this appears to be a case of over charging and overzealous prosecution. And if that is indeed what's happening the prosecutor should be run out of town on a rail. However, in cases like these it's usually best to wait until the other shoe drops. This "nice boy that lives next door" may have other skeletons hiding in his juvie record that are motivating these charges.

I agree that the criminal charges may go a little far, but this deserves more that a "stern talking to and a new nickname" - I'm sure he's already had both of those. What it does merit, in my view, is an order of restitution in the full amount of the 3,800 yearbooks that were distributed, plus the cost of reprinting the yearbook without the offending picture and, finally, some further financial penalty paid to both the school and the community. But a criminal record - that's a bridge too far.

While I understand the principle behind that the fact is that they aren't going to reprint the yearbook so having the kid make up that cost would be purely punitive and if you're going for an action that encourages the kid to rethink his behavior then a nickname like "Tiny" or "Flash" will usually have the the same effect on an 18 year old. I'd have to guess that this experience has already taught him the lesson that needs to be learned.

While I understand the principle behind that the fact is that they aren't going to reprint the yearbook so having the kid make up that cost would be purely punitive and if you're going for an action that encourages the kid to rethink his behavior then a nickname like "Tiny" or "Flash" will usually have the the same effect on an 18 year old. I'd have to guess that this experience has already taught him the lesson that needs to be learned.

I don't agree - to do nothing simply encourages future bad acts and/or copy cat acts by others. If the yearbook isn't going to be reprinted, he should still have to pay the cost of the 3,800 yearbooks that were damaged by his selfish act.

Was he, could he buy beer? Funny thing about that word "adult" the age it is attached seems to shift with the occasion. Good grief he was a stupid high school student doing what they do best, something stupid. Speaking of stupid where were all the adults that supposedly reviewed and published the book, oh wait let's not hold anyone else accountable.

Back
Top Bottom