• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Merrick Garland's Attorney General Confirmation Hearing

I found that genuine and honest. As good an answer as I could think of. If I were a GOP senator, I'd vote for him based on what I know because I think he has the character and the intelligence to be AG. That I don't agree with him on some issues is not grounds to oppose the man

I love that he dunked on Hawley.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Asked by Josh Hawley if he supports defunding the police, Merrick Garland says he does not, citing the ...horror experienced by police officers at the Jan 6 attack on the Capitol</p>&mdash; Igor Bobic (@igorbobic) <a href="">February 22, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What was the question?
He just kept reshaping the question "Would you be for the death penalty in this case or that case?" blah blah blah. Merrick said he doesn't create policy and would follow the adminstration's policy on that instead of making individual decisions.

He should have had a hearing but then again the Dems refused Keisler and Estrada hearings, and unlike MG, those two had enough sure votes in the senate for confirmation. I suspect MG is going to get asked tough questions over his distaste for the right of Americans to own firearms.

You are making that up. MG had more than enough votes in the Senate because he is a moderate who emphasizes neutrality on the job.

Your gun rights comment is ridiculous. The AG has no power to tell the Supreme Court justices how to rule on a specific Constitutional topic. Merrick Garland would not want to do so anyway if he could.His job is to follow the law. The law is very clear: If you have an unregistered or a borrowed gun in your possession, it is totally fair to be prosecuted. Don't like the consequences? Don't borrow a gun.

Why are you excited? Do you think he is going to go the extreme liberal route and do the left's bidding?

Because I know everyone who worked for the rattlesnake was very biased to the right on his command. America is long overdue for an independent, honest, highly qualified Attorney General who only cares about the law, not political parties and making people such as the President happy.

Does anyone have honest predictions for for tomorrow?

Why are you excited? Do you think he is going to go the extreme liberal route and do the lefts bidding?
I expect him to be fair and balanced and independent of demands of either political party. That would be nice after the last 4 years. In fact, if he finds evidence of Democrats doing wrong, I want him to pursue it, to purge bad influences from that party. well, I want corruption to be purged from government in general/.

Sounds like Biden was sending a message to all the prosecutors on the right. We don't like law and order we like liberal bulls**t.

Sending a message to prosecutors that he is not going to have his AG tell judges to overturn their convictions because the defendant is a close confidant of the president.

When you study Warren, you learn he actually was a lawyer and actually was an AG. That he was not a judge does not mean he was not very knowledgeable about law.

He was my Governor from 1943 to 1953 and ran for Vice President and later for President.
When Ike appointed him to the Supreme court, he too had appointed Judges himself and leaped to the top of the Supreme Court to manage it as opposed to be only a voting member of the court.

Indeed, that is my point. You don't have to an elite justice to be a good judge.

Thomas had a year or two experience, as did Barrett.

But Warren's strength was his political acumen.

I wonder if any Senators will ask him if he's going to end the Durham investigation and if he doesn't, will he support criminal charges against Obama administration members if that's what Durham does?

I won't be watching and I won't be holding my breath.
From the Times:
The ranking Republican on the committee, Senator Charles E. Grassley of Iowa, pressed Judge Garland on two politically charged investigations from the Trump era.

Mr. Grassley asked whether Judge Garland had discussed with Mr. Biden what he would do with a federal tax investigation into Mr. Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, and whether he would let John Durham, a special counsel investigating the Trump-Russia inquiry, finish his work and then make any Durham report public.

Judge Garland said that he had not discussed the Hunter Biden case with the president and that he expected that “decisions about investigations and prosecutions will be left to the Justice Department.” He demurred on the Durham investigation, saying that while he was committed to transparency, he had not yet been briefed about its status and findings.

“I don’t have any reason — from what I know now, which is really very little — to make any determination on that ground. I don’t have any reason to think that he should not remain in place,” he said of Mr. Durham. Regarding the disclosure of a report, he added, “I would have to talk with Mr. Durham and understand the nature of what he has been doing and the nature of the report.”

When pressed further about the Hunter Biden case, Judge Garland said that he knew only what he had read about it in the news media, but that he had no reason to think the Biden administration had erred in letting the Trump-appointed United States attorney in Delaware, David C. Weiss, continue overseeing the investigation.

From the Times:
The ranking Republican on the committee, Senator Charles E. Grassley of Iowa, pressed Judge Garland on two politically charged investigations from the Trump era.

Mr. Grassley asked whether Judge Garland had discussed with Mr. Biden what he would do with a federal tax investigation into Mr. Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, and whether he would let John Durham, a special counsel investigating the Trump-Russia inquiry, finish his work and then make any Durham report public.

Judge Garland said that he had not discussed the Hunter Biden case with the president and that he expected that “decisions about investigations and prosecutions will be left to the Justice Department.” He demurred on the Durham investigation, saying that while he was committed to transparency, he had not yet been briefed about its status and findings.

“I don’t have any reason — from what I know now, which is really very little — to make any determination on that ground. I don’t have any reason to think that he should not remain in place,” he said of Mr. Durham. Regarding the disclosure of a report, he added, “I would have to talk with Mr. Durham and understand the nature of what he has been doing and the nature of the report.”

When pressed further about the Hunter Biden case, Judge Garland said that he knew only what he had read about it in the news media, but that he had no reason to think the Biden administration had erred in letting the Trump-appointed United States attorney in Delaware, David C. Weiss, continue overseeing the investigation.
What that means is that as soon as he's confirmed the Durham investigation and the Hunter investigation go bye bye.

Don't listen to what they say...watch what they do.

Hey AG, can you keep our investigation on our political opponents alive?

I gather the GOP senators did not spend a lot of time pressing him to voice a commitment to thoroughly investigating the causes of the 1/6 insurrection.

From what I hear, Garland strained a few important muscles trying to excuse the focused destruction in big cities last summer as something other than what's defined in the domestic terrorism law.
Is that so?

What that means is that as soon as he's confirmed the Durham investigation and the Hunter investigation go bye bye.

Don't listen to what they say...watch what they do.
You've been watching rachel again.

I gather the GOP senators did not spend a lot of time pressing him to voice a commitment to thoroughly investigating the causes of the 1/6 insurrection.

Because they are partially responsible for it, obviously. Did any Republican members of the Judiciary Committee vote to convict the rattlesnake last month?

From what I hear, Garland strained a few important muscles trying to excuse the focused destruction in big cities last summer as something other than what's defined in the domestic terrorism law.
Is that so?

Obviously not because he was sitting still in a chair, so getting hurt was impossible.

Did you hear exactly what he said?

Obviously not because he was sitting still in a chair, so getting hurt was impossible.

Twisting yourself into the kind of knot I described can be done sitting down and I imagine can be painful.
I read it. Didn't hear it.
If you did, did he make the distinction I described?

Nah, forget the substantive; stick with the subjective.

I believe he is an honest and decent man and a brilliant legal mind. I think Biden has the right to appoint anyone who is qualified to be his AG and MG is certainly well qualified. Better qualified than Sessions, better Qualified than Obama's picks. Academically, better qualified than just about anyone who has been nominated in decades.

Any 💨 to blow the ⛵.

Re: Key Democrats will filibuster Gorsuch [W:22]

That is irrelevant. I doubt Garland would have won the vote. He's another liberal Jewish gun banner like Ginsburg and Breyer

I thought Garland should have been given a hearing and VOTED DOWN he's an anti gun extremist and anyone who doesn't believe that the second amendment guarantees an individual right is not competent to be on the USSC

Back
Top Bottom