• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Mental Health Care Coverage/Parity

Rhadamanthus

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
For almost a decade different acts and bills have been passed to promote 'Parity' for people with mental health illnesses. The argument for such acts as the Mental Health Equitable Treatment Act is that parity allows for people with severe mental illnesses to get the same coverage from their health insurance as they would for physical injuries. This is supposed to make sure there is no unfair health coverage for those with mental illnesses. I would like to know what people's opinions a were about the effectiveness of these acts.

Generally ineffective. Admitted that there are some illnesses which can be effectively treated with drugs when the illness can be traced to some kind of chemical imbalance, but the mental health profession as a whole seems to be about as effective and as firmly grounded in science as witch doctors. Just my :twocents: worth.

Mental health professionals, if honest, will admit that cures are extremely rare when it comes to mental health. Treatment is all you get, and it can last as long, or longer, than your medical benefits allow.
And it seems that every year they invent some new mental problem to treat.
The physical doctors to that as well, just look at all the new pills being pushed on TV. Too many Doctors and Shrinks have become shills for the drug companies.
Also, most of the "pros" are a bit nuts themselves.....:(

And yet organisations like NIMH say that the chances of curing, or at least holding at bay, a mental illness are almost as good as doing so to a physical ailment. Don't you think that people with a severe mental illness deserve to be treated fairly and given the same coverage as someone with a physical problem?

Rhadamanthus said:
And yet organisations like NIMH say that the chances of curing, or at least holding at bay, a mental illness are almost as good as doing so to a physical ailment. Don't you think that people with a severe mental illness deserve to be treated fairly and given the same coverage as someone with a physical problem?

Yes, but with oversite by an independent group. Mental health professionals are only slightly more ethical than the chiropractors who like to claim that they can cure anything just by massaging your back. It was only 20 years ago that mental health professionals led the witch hunt that imprisoned the owners and operators of 3 day care centers in 3 different states (CA, MA, and NC, I think) for multiple cases of child molestation over long periods of time. It was later proven, in all 3 cases, that the "professionals" browbeat the children into admitting to being molested, even taking many months in some cases to get the children to lie to their satisfaction. Then they edited the tapes so that the incredibly outlandish parts of the stories being made up never was presented to the jurors. The extraordinary thing is, the judges and legal professionals involved were so stupid about the whole thing, and many of them to this day refuse to admit that they did wrong. It was mass hysteria, and I am impressed that the victims in all 3 cases, once released, did not get guns and hunt down those mental health professionals.
I would have, in a heart beat.

Like other health care workers who can get access to taxpayer dollars, mental health professionals are more interested in enriching themselves than they are helping their patients.

UtahBill said:
Yes, but with oversite by an independent group. Mental health professionals are only slightly more ethical than the chiropractors who like to claim that they can cure anything just by massaging your back. It was only 20 years ago that mental health professionals led the witch hunt that imprisoned the owners and operators of 3 day care centers in 3 different states (CA, MA, and NC, I think) for multiple cases of child molestation over long periods of time. It was later proven, in all 3 cases, that the "professionals" browbeat the children into admitting to being molested, even taking many months in some cases to get the children to lie to their satisfaction. Then they edited the tapes so that the incredibly outlandish parts of the stories being made up never was presented to the jurors. The extraordinary thing is, the judges and legal professionals involved were so stupid about the whole thing, and many of them to this day refuse to admit that they did wrong. It was mass hysteria, and I am impressed that the victims in all 3 cases, once released, did not get guns and hunt down those mental health professionals.
I would have, in a heart beat.

Like other health care workers who can get access to taxpayer dollars, mental health professionals are more interested in enriching themselves than they are helping their patients.

However corrupt the health care professionals may be right now the issue at large is not whether there is corruption with the system but whether people suffering from mental illnesses should recieve coverage. Actualy more then coverage the question right now is whether these people should get parity in the coverage of their mental disease.

Back
Top Bottom