• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Men Are From Mars (Logic), Women From Venus (Empathy)...

Daisy

"Make sure of the more important things."
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Well, I knew that...they don't call it women's intuition for nothin'...men ain't gotta clue...:2razz:

In what's said to be the largest study examining differences between the sexes, a longtime stereotype is holding some water—though critics are pushing back on the supposed biological merit underlying the results. The Telegraph reports that researchers at the University of Cambridge tested more than 670,000 people and found that when it comes to empathy—the ability to gauge how others are feeling or what they're thinking about—women have more of it, and that guys view the world more through a logical rules-based system. The men and women in the empathy study, published in PNAS, were asked to rank 20 statements that measured either empathy—ie, "I can easily work out what another person might want to talk about"—or "systems-oriented thinking," such as asking how interested participants were in knowing "the path a river takes from its source to the sea."

Men, on average, got a score of 9.87 out of 20 for empathy, while their female counterparts scored 10.79; for analytical thinking, men achieved a score of 6.73, women 5.45. What plays a part in determining individual differences in empathy, per Varun Warrier, one of the study's co-authors: our genes, our environment, and what hormones we're exposed to in the womb. In an accompanying data set to the main study, the scientists also found backup to support what a release calls the "Extreme Male Brain" theory of autism: that autistic people are more apt to have "masculinized" traits and aren't as likely to get big numbers on empathy, but will score as high or higher on tests of systemizing. Per the Sunday Times, detractors are calling both theories a form of "neurosexism" and claiming that the study relied on too much self-reporting to be valid. (How empathetic are Americans, anyway?)

Women Have More Empathy, Men Are More Analytical: Study

These types of results aren’t all that useful, though. The difference is averaged across a whole population and is only about 5%. That tells us absolutely nothing about what to expect when comparing individuals.

These types of results aren’t all that useful, though. The difference is averaged across a whole population and is only about 5%. That tells us absolutely nothing about what to expect when comparing individuals.

It is absolutely useful as it gives people a general standard in which to start with...

Yes ... could explain marginal trends which affect society's gender traditions over time (or could be in a feedback loop which affects both gender traditions and mate selections, and thereby future marginally gender-correlated abilities). But it's not that big of a difference overall.

It is absolutely useful as it gives people a general standard in which to start with...

Useful for what? Should those numbers influence some policy-making or decision-making?

I would say that women are adept at making baseless guesses and covering it up with a smokescreen in order to seem more mysterious.

Yeah, that's what we lead ya to think...we've always got the upper hand...;)

Useful when you talk to a woman...

You'll have to let us know how that works for you. And when you talk to a man, too. Don't miss out on half the benefits of that, uh, study. Watch carefully for that 'extreme male brain' syndrome- that might be useful if you're in Personnel, for example, and recruiting.

I would say that women are adept at making baseless guesses and covering it up with a smokescreen in order to seem more mysterious.

Blame the valium.

Last edited:
Peterson says that men care more about things, and women care more about people, which is a good way to put it. This is exactly why the division of labor between the sexes happened as it did.

I think SJWs kind of ruined any gender discussions for the foreseeable future :/

You'll have to let us know how that works for you. And when you talk to a man, too. Don't miss out on half the benefits of that, uh, study. Watch carefully for that 'extreme male brain' syndrome- that might be useful if you're in Personnel, for example, and recruiting.

The book is more useful than that study...

Peterson says that men care more about things, and women care more about people, which is a good way to put it. This is exactly why the division of labor between the sexes happened as it did.

Like my food... I care and don't share...

I read this book and I liked it. Practically with all that concerns women and men, I agree. I do not agree only with the opinion of the author about the upbringing of children and how much time to devote to them. The book says that the relationship between a man and a woman is more important than a child. I understood that. And I disagree with this. The child will grow up unhappy.

Who is just now figuring this out? Also, be careful. This is technically sexist, and the chicks that don't like being called illogical might try to censor you, or make you bake them a cake.

Well, for the chicks that get upset or consider it an insult, they just don't appreciate when they're one step ahead...I'd much rather be intuitive than logical...just look at unemotional, unexpressive Spock on Star Trek, who rarely, if ever, smiles...no thanks...:2razz:

Well, for the chicks that get upset or consider it an insult, they just don't appreciate when they're one step ahead...I'd much rather be intuitive than logical...just look at unemotional, unexpressive Spock on Star Trek, who rarely, if ever, smiles...no thanks...:2razz:

You need a balance of both. Too much of one, and not enough of the other leads to either irrational behavior, or overwhelming ego and lack of empathy..

Who is just now figuring this out? Also, be careful. This is technically sexist, and the chicks that don't like being called illogical might try to censor you, or make you bake them a cake.

No, that is a bit of a leap. That men rely more on logic does not then mean that women are illogical. Your view is sexist. The information in the link is not.

No, that is a bit of a leap. That men rely more on logic does not then mean that women are illogical. Your view is sexist. The information in the link is not.

It's sexism when you don't like it, and "information" when you do.

I whole-heartedly agree with you here. Both qualities are important. You don't see women running around starting all the wars in the world. Women need men, and men need women, to compliment and balance each other.

I actually think this book is one of the best, if not THE best, at learning how to communicate with your significant other:

51ItBwnbJ6L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom