• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Memphis Christians Fear Discrimination if Revision to Anti-Bias Policy Gets OK

BCR

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
FOXNews.com - Memphis Christians Fear Discrimination if Revision to Anti-Bias Policy Gets OK

Picard-FacePalm.jpg

Last edited:
Uhh, I'm a Mormon and on the grounds of my religious beliefs the Civil Rights act should be overturned because my religion believes dark skin is a curse and they are inferior.

^^^ that would never fly so why do these Christians think this ought to be shot down? So a law preventing discrimination goes against the very foundation of their beliefs? They think they ought to have the right to discriminate gays because of a handful of bible verses?

Just stupid.

Critics also voiced concerns over biological men using women’s bathrooms.

What stops them from doing it anyway, if some dude dresses convincingly like a woman and goes into a womans bathroom, that doesn't start happening because you stop discriminating against gays, makes no sense.

I just do not get this stupid argument.

"Don't make it illegal to discriminate so we can keep on discriminating."

Gay people are people, fellow citizens, they are part of your country. They are not abominations or child molestors, they are not trying to make your children gay or destroy your marriage or "break down the fabric of American society" Which if it continues to discriminate against gays, is the fabric of sand paper.

Fear and ignorance are what leads people to discriminate.

Religious organizations should be exempt from the ordinance. No religious organization who holds as a tenant of its belief that homosexuality is an abomination should be forced to hire them.

Uhh, I'm a Mormon and on the grounds of my religious beliefs the Civil Rights act should be overturned because my religion believes dark skin is a curse and they are inferior.

Just stupid.

No Mormon would ever say that idiot. The curse was being separated from God.

Religious organizations should be exempt from the ordinance. No religious organization who holds as a tenant of its belief that homosexuality is an abomination should be forced to hire them.

I think that's kind of stupid. It doesn't matter what your sexual orientation is it should never bar you from a job. They can stop them from being Pastors, Priests, or anything like that because that is part of the organization, but they can't deny them any sort of normal job.

I think that's kind of stupid. It doesn't matter what your sexual orientation is it should never bar you from a job. They can stop them from being Pastors, Priests, or anything like that because that is part of the organization, but they can't deny them any sort of normal job.

I respectfully disagree. If a religious organization runs a school, they have the right to hire teachers and other staff who share the mission of the school and part of the mission of many such schools is to live the example of what they teach. It would be hypocritical for the school to teach students to live by a certain moral code and then have as teachers/staff at the school those who are unrepentant about living a lifestyle at odds with what the school teaches...

I respectfully disagree. If a religious organization runs a school, they have the right to hire teachers and other staff who share the mission of the school and part of the mission of many such schools is to live the example of what they teach. It would be hypocritical for the school to teach students to live by a certain moral code and then have as teachers/staff at the school those who are unrepentant about living a lifestyle at odds with what the school teaches...

I can understand that. I go to BYU, a school that has a strict Honor Code and Teacher's have to follow the Honor Code as well as students. But Sexual Orientation should not bar a BYU Teacher anymore then it should bar a normal teacher. I can understand barring a teacher because of drug use, crime, promiscuity, and such things but Sexual Orientation doesn't fall under any of those.

I can understand that. I go to BYU, a school that has a strict Honor Code and Teacher's have to follow the Honor Code as well as students. But Sexual Orientation should not bar a BYU Teacher anymore then it should bar a normal teacher. I can understand barring a teacher because of drug use, crime, promiscuity, and such things but Sexual Orientation doesn't fall under any of those.

So, in other words, you think it is fine to bar someone from a teaching job for those sins you believe are relevant, but not for a sin you don't think is relevant, even if someone else of another religion believes it is.

So, as long as it isn't YOUR ox getting gored, you don't care. Right.

This is the sort of thing Christians have been worrying about: being threatened by government into allowing a lifestyle into Christian organizations that the church is obligated to disapprove of, namely homosexuality.

Yeah, and I'm "just a paranoid right-wingnut" to think that one day gays will sue the Catholics and Baptists for not being allowed to marry in the church, or that one day pastors will be barred from speaking against homosexuality from the pulpit. :roll:

It's already gone further than anyone 25 years ago would have believed. If I'd told someone in 1985 that we'd live to see gay marriage legalized in several states, and churches forced to hire gay teachers for Private Christian Schools, they would've laughed and told me I was paranoid... but here we are.

Last edited:
So, in other words, you think it is fine to bar someone from a teaching job for those sins you believe are relevant, but not for a sin you don't think is relevant, even if someone else of another religion believes it is.

This is the sort of thing Christians have been worrying about: being threatened by government into allowing a lifestyle into Christian organizations that the church is obligated to disapprove of, namely homosexuality.

Yeah, and I'm "just a paranoid right-wingnut" to think that one day gays will sue the Catholics and Baptists for not being allowed to marry in the church, or that one day pastors will be barred from speaking against homosexuality from the pulpit. :roll:

It's already gone further than anyone 25 years ago would have believed. If I'd told someone in 1985 that we'd live to see gay marriage legalized in several states, and churches forced to hire gay teachers for Private Christian Schools, they would've laughed and told me I was paranoid... but here we are.

Okay, I went back and read the article again.

It says the city cannot discriminate in its hiring over sexual orientation. Ok.

It also says anyone who contracts with the city. Hmmm... Ok, I suppose.

It also says anyone who uses any city facilities or properties. Um... that could be a problem. If we're talking about "public facilities" that are supposed to be available for anyone, or facilities you have to pay to use, that could paint with a very broad brush. I'm not sure how far this would be taken, which I suppose is part of the issue.

I expect the concern is that in order to be exempt from the rule, churches and church org's like schools, sports teams and charities would have to avoid all contact and involvement with the city government, perhaps even including making no use of city parks or ballfields, and avoiding any financial involvement with any city contractors?

Hard to say exactly how all this would shake out. It's not as bad as I first thought, but there could potentially be some problems.

"We hate the sin, not the sinner! What? NO YOU CAN'T TAKE AWAY MY RIGHT TO HATE GAYS!"

No Mormon would ever say that idiot. The curse was being separated from God.

No not now a days, at least I hope not. It is in the Book of Mormon though and I was just using it as an example. Also, pretty sure the fundamentalist mormons do think blacks are inferior just like the Fundamentalist Christians go crazy about the gays.

Last edited:
I love how Christians are always painted by the mainstream media as discriminatory and prejudiced. Then this same media turns around and give Muslims a pass WHO STILL HAVE SLAVERY in many of their Theocratic nations! Not to mention the horrid way they treat women! There are always references to the crusades and slavery in the US. That was centuries ago. There exists slavery today and it is not here. The USA and Christians have ALWAYS led the fight against discrimination! I understand that the US and Christians should be held to a higher standard. That is fine with me. But we ARE the higher standard. And the reason we are at such a higher level is because of the high level of Christianity imbedded in this nation. Now it is time that people realize that we are discriminatory towards gender in a very real and good way. Women are not required to register for the draft. Bathrooms are separated by gender (not race) for a reason. Sexual Orientation and gender is NOT the same as race! I am not anti-feminist. My wife is a wonderful woman that gets her way most of the time - as it should be. Now, by the same standards, it is perfectly rational for the government to favor relationships that are inherently different. One produces the next generation. The other can possibly take some sort of role in raising the next generation. I have nothing against gays getting together in recognized relationships or even adopting through agencies that will adopt to them. I don't care what goes on in people's bedrooms. What I do care about is gays seeking governments endorsement from the government on relationships that are, again, inherently different.

Sorry, I went off on like 5 tangents but I had to get all of that out.

Last edited:
No not now a days, at least I hope not. It is in the Book of Mormon though and I was just using it as an example. Also, pretty sure the fundamentalist mormons do think blacks are inferior just like the Fundamentalist Christians go crazy about the gays.

Jacob 3:9 said:
Wherefore, a commandment I give unto you, which is the word of God, that ye revile no more against them because of the darkness of their skins; neither shall ye revile against them because of their filthiness; but ye shall remember your own filthiness, and remember that their filthiness came because of their fathers.

It also says in the Book of Mormon that it's a sin to hate someone because of their skin color. Dark skin is a mark, not a curse. The curse was separation from God, the Dark Skin was just an easy way to let them know which group wanted to slaughter them.

FLDS are strange strange folks.

Last edited:

Well to be fair my school is baring people due to acts, your saying people should be bared for the way they are born. I thought acceptance of all peoples was something Christian's taught. I mean isn't in the Bible, Love thy neighbor as thyself. I would have thought that Christianity had gotten out of the dark age by now and judged people on what they do, not how they're wired. If your baring people because of how they were born then that is flat out discrimination and against the law I would think.

Back
Top Bottom