• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Memorial Hospital Ccafe moving forward with more ‘plant-based’ options

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
YAKIMA, Wash. -- The first thing you see when you walk into Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital’s in-house cafe is a counter full of cakes, pies and other mouthwatering desserts.

But that’s soon to change, as the hospital continues its participation in the “Healthier Hospitals Initiative” by adding more plant-based options to its menu and encouraging healthier choices for customers and patients.

The sweets will be moving to the back.

“Knowing what we know now, we knew we had to take action and change,” said Kate Gottlieb, sustainability and wellbeing coordinator at Memorial. “There’s so much research out there showing the importance and the power of plant-based foods, and how important it is in hospitals to help people heal.”

Memorial signed on to the national “Healthier Hospitals Initiative” last year, pledging to improve sustainability, nutrition, financial responsibility and safety in hospital facilities.

The hospital serves around 2,650 patient meals per week, along with about 7,200 meals in the cafe for employees and outside customers.

Last week, the hospital brought in a team of chefs for a two-day cooking class for 16 members of the dietary staff, where they learned to make things like garbanzo bean sliders, bananas foster, black bean and sweet potato burritos, and chocolate gravy for biscuits — all vegan.

But since the term “vegan” frequently brings to mind unseasoned slabs of tofu, head chef Wanda White from the University of North Texas prefers to say “plant-based.”

White drew headlines a few years ago after she established a meatless dining hall on campus, the first in the country, she says. The new options became enormously popular.

Now White works for the Humane Society of the United States, which actually does more than care for stray cats and dogs. White is involved in the “Protect Farm Animals” division, and the plant-based campaign is part of the organization’s goal of “humane eating.”

“We’re not asking people to give up meat totally,” White said. “We are actually here to get people to reduce meat, think about what they’re doing, be more compassionate with their eating choices. And also it helps you to have a healthier lifestyle.”

Memorial cafe moving forward with more ‘plant-based’ options | Local | yakimaherald.com

YAKIMA, Wash. -- The first thing you see when you walk into Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital’s in-house cafe is a counter full of cakes, pies and other mouthwatering desserts.

But that’s soon to change, as the hospital continues its participation in the “Healthier Hospitals Initiative” by adding more plant-based options to its menu and encouraging healthier choices for customers and patients.

The sweets will be moving to the back.

“Knowing what we know now, we knew we had to take action and change,” said Kate Gottlieb, sustainability and wellbeing coordinator at Memorial. “There’s so much research out there showing the importance and the power of plant-based foods, and how important it is in hospitals to help people heal.”

Memorial signed on to the national “Healthier Hospitals Initiative” last year, pledging to improve sustainability, nutrition, financial responsibility and safety in hospital facilities.

The hospital serves around 2,650 patient meals per week, along with about 7,200 meals in the cafe for employees and outside customers.

Last week, the hospital brought in a team of chefs for a two-day cooking class for 16 members of the dietary staff, where they learned to make things like garbanzo bean sliders, bananas foster, black bean and sweet potato burritos, and chocolate gravy for biscuits — all vegan.

But since the term “vegan” frequently brings to mind unseasoned slabs of tofu, head chef Wanda White from the University of North Texas prefers to say “plant-based.”

White drew headlines a few years ago after she established a meatless dining hall on campus, the first in the country, she says. The new options became enormously popular.

Now White works for the Humane Society of the United States, which actually does more than care for stray cats and dogs. White is involved in the “Protect Farm Animals” division, and the plant-based campaign is part of the organization’s goal of “humane eating.”

“We’re not asking people to give up meat totally,” White said. “We are actually here to get people to reduce meat, think about what they’re doing, be more compassionate with their eating choices. And also it helps you to have a healthier lifestyle.”

Memorial cafe moving forward with more ‘plant-based’ options | Local | yakimaherald.com

I don't like people trying to teach me stuff I know and to do, what I've decided against; this is especially true, when they hide the cookie jar.

I don't like people trying to teach me stuff I know and to do, what I've decided against; this is especially true, when they hide the cookie jar.

you should bear the expense of your foolishness then.

It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Serving so many meals - the plant based foods will have to be tasty to turn a profit - or at least not lose money.

I have no issue with places giving healthier options. Why would there be any issue with this?

In terms if the sweets, I know at our facility there is usually a sigh of relief when the desserts are left out.:roll:

Is your attitude about the healthier cafeteria options or Whites prior endeavors?

It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Serving so many meals - the plant based foods will have to be tasty to turn a profit - or at least not lose money.

I have no issue with places giving healthier options. Why would there be any issue with this?

In terms if the sweets, I know at our facility there is usually a sigh of relief when the desserts are left out.:roll:

the very fact that there are options sends the small minded reeling.

And for the record, healthier food options in schools should be a "well duh" moment. Plant based options - heck yeah.

I thought “plant-based” was going to be a code-word for cannabis.

Been smoking this tofu for twenty minutes and it’s doing nothing for me. :)

Back
Top Bottom