• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Melania Trump speech appears to plagiarize Michelle Obama

Top Cat

He's the most tip top
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Melania Trump’s highly anticipated speech at the Republican National Convention Monday night appears to have nearly copied a paragraph from Michelle Obama’s speech at the 2008 Democratic National Convention.
Presumptive GOP nominee Donald Trump’s wife was describing how her parents imparted on her values about working hard and treating people with respect.
It included phrases and even precise words that were identical to the first lady's 2008 address. Here is the graph in question from Melania Trump's speech:
"From a young age, my parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life: that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise; that you treat people with respect. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily life.”
Here is the graph from Obama's 2008 speech.
“And Barack and I were raised with so many of the same values: that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you're going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect, even if you don't know them, and even if you don't agree with them,” Michelle Obama said, according to a transcript from CNN.
It's not clear who wrote Melania Trump's speech, Convention speeches are often written by campaign aides, though Melania Trumpin an interview with NBS said she wrote the speech.
“I wrote it, with as little help as possible,” she said.

Melania Trump speech appears to plagiarize Michelle Obama | TheHill

She claims to have written the speech in this interview. (With very little help)

Exclusive: The Trumps speak with Matt Lauer | MSNBC

This is not a good start for Trump.

Someone should probably merge the threads.

Either that or post 8 more threads just so nobody misses it.

I'm listening to Chris Matthews creaming himself over this and it's really sad that listening to him makes me sympathetic toward Trump.

The "plagiarized" part is generic fluff on values which means that it isn't plagiarized at all. If you're going to rip something off it needs to be something original and not a common theme on common principles.

Frankly, I think this is just a set up and later in the campaign Donald is going to be asked a question to which he responds "What difference does it make?" and Hillary is going to instantly tweet "See!!! He plagiarizes too!"

Melania Trump speech appears to plagiarize Michelle Obama | TheHill

She claims to have written the speech in this interview. (With very little help)

Exclusive: The Trumps speak with Matt Lauer | MSNBC

This is not a good start for Trump.

Hmm, I'd say plagiarized is a bit of a stretch when you parse out the sentence fragments from both speeches:

1. My parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life;

2. That your word is your bond;

4. You do what you say and keep your promise(s);

5. That you treat people with respect;

6. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily life.

Anyone notice how common these phrases are? How everyone has not only heard some version of them, but have used them in part or all together ourselves at one point or another?

I don't think anyone has a copyright to their sole use...do you? :coffeepap:

Last edited:
Either that or post 8 more threads just so nobody misses it.

I'm listening to Chris Matthews creaming himself over this and it's really sad that listening to him makes me sympathetic toward Trump.

The "plagiarized" part is generic fluff on values which means that it isn't plagiarized at all. If you're going to rip something off it needs to be something original and not a common theme on common principles.

Frankly, I think this is just a set up and later in the campaign Donald is going to be asked a question to which he responds "What difference does it make?" and Hillary is going to instantly tweet "See!!! He plagiarizes too!"

Its not just generic fluff.....its almost word for word....listen to the side by side speeches. This is a major gaffe that Trump is going to be dogged with all day tomorrow. Not exactly a great start to his convention....and yet another of a series of unfortunate events over the last 96 hours beginning with the intercourse logo, the disastarous 60 minute interview, his awkward introduction of Pence and now plagarism......

Hmm, I'd say plagiarized is a bit of a stretch when you parse out the sentence fragments from both speeches:

1. My parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life;

Anyone notice how common these phrases are? How everyone has not only heard some version of them, but have used them in part or all together ourselves at one point or another?

They are almost word for word....so its not just common themes.....and more examples have been revealed. This is not good for Trump.

Great point. If we were to demand complete originality of political speeches, I don't think a single one would pass a plagiarism test.

Great point. If we were to demand complete originality of political speeches, I don't think a single one would pass a plagiarism test.

Sorry but that spin isn't going to cut it. There are side by side comparisons of the speeches. This isn't just generic topics....Trump plagarized almost word for word. This isn't going to pass over with Donald just denying it....sorry. What ever happened to Truth at all cost? Oh....I guess that doesn't apply to Republicans in your mind.

Sorry but that spin isn't going to cut it. There are side by side comparisons of the speeches. This isn't just generic topics....Trump plagarized almost word for word. This isn't going to pass over with Donald just denying it....sorry. What ever happened to Truth at all cost? Oh....I guess that doesn't apply to Republicans in your mind.

Well, I guess this has cost Donald your vote Disney Dude. :cry:

CNN is reporting that Donald Trump spokesman has just issued a statement and it appears that Donald is going to double down and deny the obvious plagarism. This is probably a HUGE mistake. But Trump is never willing to admit wrongdoing or apologize....so this is not unexpected.

The problem is.....this is just going to add more fuel to the fire and the plagarism is obvious.

Well, I guess this has cost Donald your vote Disney Dude. :cry:

What ever happened to "Truth at all cost"? The plagarism is obvious. CNN is showing the text and it is almost word for word.......sorry....but deny deny deny ain't gonna cut it.

And? She's a trophy wife. She's not remotely important in the grand scheme of things.

And? She's a trophy wife. She's not remotely important in the grand scheme of things.

Even so.....its just another in a serious of incredible gaffes in the last 96 hours for Trump. The horrendous intercourse logo that was scrapped after less than 24 hours, his awkward introduction of Pence.....the Disastrous 60 minute interview....and now his wife clearly plagarizes Michelle Obama's speech? This is not a great start to his convention.

What ever happened to "Truth at all cost"? The plagarism is obvious. CNN is showing the text and it is almost word for word.......sorry....but deny deny deny ain't gonna cut it.

Ok, don't vote for Melania then.

I wonder how the Dems rustling their jimmies over this feel about Hillary Clinton lying to the FBI and the American public. I'm not really a Trump supporter but I'd hardly say this was plagiarism.

But Pat Smith is important in the grand scheme of things. Remember, she's the mother of Sean Smith, one of the brave Americans murdered by Hillary Clinton. While talking about Hillary, Pat said, "She lied to me, and then called me a liar."

Standing over the dead, brutalized body of a defenseless American hero, Hillary Clinton lied. What kind of scumsack, gutter roach will lie while standing over the body of one of our own. You democrats should be very proud, yes, very proud. And you probably are.

You can't be serious.

I wonder how the Dems rustling their jimmies over this feel about Hillary Clinton lying to the FBI and the American public. I'm not really a Trump supporter but I'd hardly say this was plagiarism.

How can you say that? Are you serious? It is OBViOUSLY Plagarized.

Its not even debateable. Have you actually watched the side by side comparisions? ITs almost word for word. No honest person could claim this isn't plagarism.

Imagine if Michelle Obama did the same thing? Double standard?

I wouldn't call Michelle Obama a trophy wife. :lol: But still, the spouses of presidential candidates aren't important. They're meant to stand off to one side and look and sound supportive, which applies equally to Bill Clinton as it does to Melania Trump.

Even so.....its just another in a serious of incredible gaffes in the last 96 hours for Trump. The horrendous intercourse logo that was scrapped after less than 24 hours, his awkward introduction of Pence.....the Disastrous 60 minute interview....and now his wife clearly plagarizes Michelle Obama's speech? This is not a great start to his convention.

He needs better campaign management staff, that's for sure, but his wife is not him, and so her gaffes are inconsequential.

I wouldn't call Michelle Obama a trophy wife. :lol: But still, the spouses of presidential candidates aren't important. They're meant to stand off to one side and look and sound supportive, which applies equally to Bill Clinton as it does to Melania Trump.

He needs better campaign management staff, that's for sure, but his wife is not him, and so her gaffes are inconsequential.

Sorry....while not as important as the candidates....the first lady (or man) is a direct reflection on the judgement and integrity of the candidate. Especially if Trump attempts to double down and deny the obvious plagarism, which would be consistent with Trump's persona and appears to be what he is planning....at least at this time. But remember this is the same man who pretended to be his own spokesperson and then lied when it came out despite the fact that is was clearly him on the tape.

But Pat Smith is important in the grand scheme of things. Remember, she's the mother of Sean Smith, one of the brave Americans murdered by Hillary Clinton. While talking about Hillary, Pat said, "She lied to me, and then called me a liar."

Standing over the dead, brutalized body of a defenseless American hero, Hillary Clinton lied. What kind of scumsack, gutter roach will lie while standing over the body of one of our own. You democrats should be very proud, yes, very proud. And you probably are.

Interesting. That has nothing to do with what I said, and I'm not a Democrat.

Back
Top Bottom