• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Melania Trump speech appears to plagiarize Michelle Obama

Sorry....while not as important as the candidates....the first lady (or man) is a direct reflection on the judgement and integrity of the candidate.

What does that say about Hillary? :lol:

Especially if Trump attempts to double down and deny the obvious plagarism, which would be consistent with Trump's persona and appears to be what he is planning....at least at this time. But remember this is the same man who pretended to be his own spokesperson and then lied when it came out despite the fact that is was clearly him on the tape.

I really doubt Trump writes his wife's speeches. How he reacts to this is certainly important, and something to be critical of, but his wife, or wife's speechwriter, plagiarising a speech isn't important.

What does that say about Hillary? :lol:

I really doubt Trump writes his wife's speeches. How he reacts to this is certainly important, and something to be critical of, but his wife, or wife's speechwriter, plagiarising a speech isn't important.

I don't know who wrote the speech, but it has to be vetted better than that.

And this is the sort of shenanigans this election is going to be. For all of his tough speaking and egomania and this persona he's trying to pull over on America, Trump is a political novice. These are the sorts of Jr. High mistakes that his campaign will make. And yes, this does look bad, to have the potential first lady plagiarize a speech...from the opposition...it reflects very poorly on him and his campaign because it shows that they are novices, that they don't know what they are doing or how to do it. And this won't be the last one. Because Trump is playing this "damn the torpedoes" persona, he is going to lend himself and his campaign to this novice mistakes time and time again.

So here's Trump, a novice who will be making mistakes, and out there is Hillary Clinton. Politics, the dirty dirty world of it, all the slimy back door deals and corporate attitude, the insider track....that's her wheelhouse, her bread and butter. She is a political pro, like it or not. Novice v. Pro, Hillary and her team will not let a single gaffe go. Be it this act of plagiarism of a First Lady by a potential First lady, or the plethora of screw ups and gaffes the Trump campaign will commit during the course of their election cycle.

If the GOP wanted President Hillary Clinton, they could have picked no better opponent than Trump.

Melania Trump speech appears to plagiarize Michelle Obama | TheHill

She claims to have written the speech in this interview. (With very little help)

Exclusive: The Trumps speak with Matt Lauer | MSNBC

This is not a good start for Trump.

Doesn't look good for Melania to do something like that.
Totally unnecessary.
But it occurred to me ... has anyone checked to see if Michelle did the same thing?
The reason I ask is because Barack himself cribbed a speech by Deval Patrick back in 2008.

Hmm, I'd say plagiarized is a bit of a stretch when you parse out the sentence fragments from both speeches:

1. My parents impressed on me the values that you work hard for what you want in life;

2. That your word is your bond;

4. You do what you say and keep your promise(s);

5. That you treat people with respect;

6. They taught and showed me values and morals in their daily life.

Anyone notice how common these phrases are? How everyone has not only heard some version of them, but have used them in part or all together ourselves at one point or another?

I don't think anyone has a copyright to their sole use...do you? :coffeepap:

That was my reaction when I read that story today. There is no copyright on common platitudes.

That was my reaction when I read that story today. There is no copyright on common platitudes.
LOL.....listen to the side by side speeches. It is all too obvious that it was plagarized...its almost word for word. This isn't just about common platitudes. Its about someone who was idiotic enough not to think they would get caught....whether it was Melania or a staffer is the only question. To deny the obvious just makes them look even more deceitful and foolish.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...=fd0bca9a1f8858ed1a8a062e50772e96&action=view[video]https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrVnCDsIY5XWU8AXwpXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyb DcxY3A1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE5MTBfMQRzZWM Dc2M-?p=Plagarized+Side+By+Side+Speech&fr=yfp-t#id=2&vid=fd0bca9a1f8858ed1a8a062e50772e96&action=view[/video]

Don't see what the big deal is. Glad to hear, however, that my city is being treated great by all of the RNC visitors, media, and protestors.

Don't see what the big deal is. Glad to hear, however, that my city is being treated great by all of the RNC visitors, media, and protestors.

How Donald Trump responds is what is important. If he continues to deny the obvious, it reflects poorly on his honesty and integrity (which are questionable anyway).

Maybe she identifies as Michelle Obama.

SNORE. Oh, two threads? SNORE, TWICE.

it reflects poorly on his honesty and integrity (which are questionable anyway).

He and Clinton are in the same camp on that front.

Maybe she identifies as Michelle Obama.
No, Melania actually loves the US more than Michelle. Michelle is just now beginning to love America (or so she stated in her speech of yore).

LOL.....listen to the side by side speeches. It is all too obvious that it was plagarized...its almost word for word. This isn't just about common platitudes. Its about someone who was idiotic enough not to think they would get caught....whether it was Melania or a staffer is the only question. To deny the obvious just makes them look even more deceitful and foolish.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...=fd0bca9a1f8858ed1a8a062e50772e96&action=view[video]https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrVnCDsIY5XWU8AXwpXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyb DcxY3A1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjE5MTBfMQRzZWM Dc2M-?p=Plagarized+Side+By+Side+Speech&fr=yfp-t#id=2&vid=fd0bca9a1f8858ed1a8a062e50772e96&action=view[/video]

There is no copyright on common platitudes. But, either way, I intend to treat this event as being precisely as important as you view Obama and Biden's actual plagiarism.

If Melania did write it, who cares? English is not her first language and she may have been nervous about speaking in a large capacity and could have googled some phrases to help her. I ain't mad at her, goodness know a lot of us do that anyway.

So let me see if I'm getting all of this...

People are outraged over a couple of lines in a speech, basically the kind of generic platitudes about working hard and wanting a better life for your children that you hear ad nauseam every election cycle, that sound similar to a couple of lines from a speech by Michelle Obama in 2008? Have I captured the gist of it?

Oh my, the horror!:lol:

There is no copyright on common platitudes. I intend to treat this event as being precisely as important as you view Obama and Biden's actual plagiarism.

This was actual plagiarism. How you treat it is your business, but it's not plausible that she/her speech writer just happened to use nearly the exact same words, in almost the exact same order, common platitudes or not.

It's obviously not important in any kind of big scheme kind of thing, but it's a major PR mistake, and what a lot of people will be talking about today is the plagiarism of Michelle Obama :shock: instead of a lot of other stuff they'd rather have the press coverage be about. And it should have been avoidable by simply having a competent person write or vet or both the speech.

If Melania did write it, who cares? English is not her first language and she may have been nervous about speaking in a large capacity and could have googled some phrases to help her. I ain't mad at her, goodness know a lot of us do that anyway.

This was the RNC, this was a speech by the potential First Lady. Do you think that she wrote it? Or even if she did (hahaha, yeah right...when was the last time a politician wrote their own speech?), that it wouldn't be vetted. Well apparently it wasn't. Ripping off the Obama's when you're running on the other side...I mean, that's a huge gaffe. It demonstrates that the Trump campaign is not ready for the big leagues. If they keep up with this chump behavior, Hillary will devour them.

This was actual plagiarism. How you treat it is your business, but it's not plausible that she/her speech writer just happened to use nearly the exact same words, in almost the exact same order, common platitudes or not.

And no, none of the phrases used by Michelle Obama were coined by Michelle Obama. Was she plagiarizing those phrases?

It's obviously not important in any kind of big scheme kind of thing, but it's a major PR mistake, and what a lot of people will be talking about today is the plagiarism of Michelle Obama :shock: instead of a lot of other stuff they'd rather have the press coverage be about. And it should have been avoidable by simply having a competent person write or vet or both the speech.

It's important to a bunch of people who would never vote for trump anyway. But we have elected actual plagiarists so I fail to see how this is a big deal rather than just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

People are outraged over a couple of lines in a speech, basically the kind of generic platitudes about working hard and wanting a better life for your children that you hear ad nauseam every election cycle, that sound similar to a couple of lines from a speech by Michelle Obama in 2008? Have I captured the gist of it?

There's another thread here that has a link to the side by side video. Watch it and come to your own conclusion. I'm on the same page as Anagram.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/2016-...giarized-michelle-obama-9.html#post1066098172

I don't know about 'outrage' but yes, people are commenting that she plagiarized several lines, virtually word for word, from a Michelle Obama speech. :shrug:

What's fascinating is the denial that it was in fact plagiarism. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom