• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Melancholy songs

thinking about the topic-Peter Paul and Mary's Puff the Magic Dragon fits-very well. So does this classic from Bobby D
Yeah.
I once shed a tear when Jackie never returned.

I thought about posting this one but decided to let someone else have the pleasure.

Well thank you for that pleasure. Wait till you see the last video I will post in this thread this morning. For some it is a real tearjerker.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Okay, the last for this morning.

Song starts @ about 01:45

Last edited:
This song was sweet when I was in my 20's, still a pleasure in my 30's ... but in my 50's ... it's a bit chilling. :) Actually, I'll still hum it to myself around the house, but I'm a bit shy of singing it when my husband is at home. I'm afraid he'll get depressed about disappeared dreams.

I hear you.

I'd forgotten this one until it was played on the radio.....

Lyrics of old songs are truly so..........bittersweet. I can't find the right words.

A song of grief.
Apparently (from what I read somewhere), the widow of the lyric-writer has had a hard time getting
over his death. I can feel her pain.

"When October Goes" is a ballad based on a lyric Johnny Mercer had written but did not complete. It was matched up to a melody by Barry Manilow and published in 1984, becoming one of the top Adult Contemporary hits of that year in the United States.

In his last year, as he was dying from brain cancer, Mercer became extremely fond of Manilow, in part because Manilow's first hit record was of a song titled "Mandy", which was also the name of Mercer's daughter. After Mercer's death, his widow, Ginger Mehan Mercer, arranged to give some unfinished lyrics he had written to Manilow to possibly develop into complete songs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_October_Goes

How many couples can relate to this? I sure can! Now in the twilight years - "I never meant it more"

Sad song. Even sadder that Chris Cornell is gone.

Thanks to everyone who has participated. Some old favorites and some new ones I never heard before.

Patsy Cline - I Fall To Pieces

Patsy Cline - Crazy (1961)

Live: Patsy Cline - Walkin' After Midnight

Last edited:
Two for the Road. It gives me this bittersweet feeling.

"we'll travel down the years, collecting precious memories........."
Memories that can be joyous, memories that can also be painful.
But that's what comprises a full life, isn't it?

Melancholy songs? Who can not think of Neil Diamond?

Quite possibly the most depressing song I have ever heard...

This song was sweet when I was in my 20's, still a pleasure in my 30's ... but in my 50's ... it's a bit chilling. :) Actually, I'll still hum it to myself around the house, but I'm a bit shy of singing it when my husband is at home. I'm afraid he'll get depressed about disappeared dreams.

I've been watching a lot of youtubes of Whitney Houston covers lately. I especially like watching male vocalists cover her songs because I can pretend that I can do it :)

Just thought of my dead old cat - how I spent the extended time I was given with her.....cuddling her, and making sure she knew she was so loved.

Just thought of my dead old cat - how I spent the extended time I was given with her.....cuddling her, and making sure she knew she was so loved.

So I guess your cat went to the heaviside layer?

Back
Top Bottom