• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Megachurch pastor criticized for buying wife $200G Lamborghini

I don't expect clerics to verge on indigency, but I also think "churchin'" shouldn't, on an individual-preacher level, be that highly profitable/remunerative.

In other news...Who knew Lamborghini produce an SUV/crossover of sorts? I sure didn't.

Lamborghini Urus

1-lamborghini-urus-review-hero-front.jpg

Oh do I want to take that off road!!!

I tried to post a link and it wouldn't work, so Google Ron shock on oral roberts for a very funny take on fake evangelists...

He should've donated that Lamborghini to the poor and needy... Like myself.

Is he one of those “prosperity gospel” preachers?

Jesus needs his servants' families to drive bitching cars.

It's right there in Isaiah Jezebel 24:60. Or something.

True, Jesus rode a Lamborghini into Jerusalem... but the palms got tangled up in the wheels. “Never again” said the Naz. “I’m going donkey.”

Imagine taking that on some logging roads in the mountains or a Baha track oh the fun to be had!!!

I suppose....Somehow I don't think that's the usage profile Lambo had in mind when designing and building it, but I could be wrong....

https://www.foxnews.com/us/megachurch-pastor-criticized-for-buying-wife-200g-lamborghini

A South Carolina pastor defended buying his wife a $200,000 Lamborghini Urus as an eighth wedding anniversary present after coming under fire for the purchase.

Pastor John Gray, the leader of Relentless Church in Greenville, S.C., came under fire for presenting his wife, Aventer, with the expensive vehicle. A video that went viral, which has since been deleted, showed the pastor surprising his wife with the keys to the luxury vehicle last week, the Charlotte Observer reported.
==============================
Another example of too much money corrupting the judgement of otherwise sane people.

Save your money. Don't send it to one of these megachurches & maybe someday you will have enough to buy your own $200G imported sports car.

What a cheap bastard buying his wife an entry level Urus with no options.

I don't expect clerics to verge on indigency, but I also think "churchin'" shouldn't, on an individual-preacher level, be that highly profitable/remunerative.

In other news...Who knew Lamborghini produce an SUV/crossover of sorts? I sure didn't.

Lamborghini Urus

1-lamborghini-urus-review-hero-front.jpg

Where have you been?

It has been big news for quite a long time now.

Rolls Royce also just released their SUV.

Jesus needs his servants' families to drive bitching cars.

It's right there in Isaiah Jezebel 24:60. Or something.

I think I remember that verse...."Yay, tho you ride in a low budget shoe box today, if thine efforts to get others to send you money bear forth fruit, yeah I say unto you, YOU TOO can be blessed with Italian vehicle awesomeness, to match the Italian awesomeness that is thine own shoes. Verily I say unto you this truth. Thy flock is there to be fleeced".

Where have you been?

It has been big news for quite a long time now.

Rolls Royce also just released their SUV.

Red:
Not car shopping, which is about the only occasion I make myself aware of what cars are available in the marketplace.

I like owning and driving a nice car -- all my cars are, by most folks' reckoning, I suspect, quite nice -- but I'm just not interested in cars other than my own. Truly, if someone mentions they like the look of the new XYZ car, even one made by the makers of my cars, I wouldn't have any idea of what it looks like.

I buy cars and keep them until I tire of them or until they are "worn out"/broken. The last time I bought a new car for myself, I bought it only because I'd grown tired of the one I'd been driving and it didn't have Bluetooth. I've more recently than that bought cars for my kids, but even for those purchases, I went to one car store, picked a model and trim level and that was that....And let me assure you, I didn't go to the Rolls Royce or Lambo store or to a similarly "exotic" car store. LOL

There was a time when I wanted a Bentley Brooklands. When the time came that my financial position was such that buying one wouldn't have been restrictive, Bentley had stopped making them. Since then, there hasn't been a car with which I've been particularly taken, thus my general indifference about cars.

If people want to donate to a phony preacher it's really none of your business is it? :doh

:roll:

"You light my fire, let this Lamborghini light your fire, baby." So said Pastor John Gray when he gave his wife a Lamborghini Urus last Sunday—a gesture that sparked some criticism of his spending habits, the Houston Chronicle reports. But Gray, an associate pastor at Joel Osteen's Lakewood Church in Greenville, SC, is defending the $200,000 buy. "God helped me to make my wife's dream come true," he wrote on Instagram, per the Chronicle. "Why not? She's made mine come true!" In a Facebook Live video, he also denied using any church funds, saying a reality TV show on the Oprah Winfrey Network, savings and investments, and book deals paid for the flashy vehicle.

"The stories that I hear, and I've tried to not listen to it, but one of them is, 'pastor buys his wife, you know, this expensive car,'" says Gray. "First of all, it wasn't a pastor that bought the car. It was a husband that bought the car." Not to mention that he's a prosperity preacher whose central message is that God wants human beings to get wealthy and give to the church—and that his wife has his back: "MY HUBBY IS A HARD-WORKER, HE WORKED HIS WHOLE LIFE AND HE SAVED TO BLESS HIS WIFE!!!" Aventer Gray wrote on Instagram. Prosperity preachers like Osteen (who lives in a $10.5 million mansion) have taken heat for lavish lifestyles before, but Gray tells the Greenville News that "if you work hard and pay your taxes, then you should be able to live where you are able to afford." (One televangelist told followers to help him buy a $45 million jet.

Pastor John Gray Sparks Criticism by Purchasing $200K Lamborghini for His Wife

If people want to donate to a phony preacher it's really none of your business is it? :doh

If everyone kept their nose in their own business, where would places like DP be? Ghost town, I tell ya!

Ok, so I'm not making any excuses for the guy, and I am NOT into organized religion, although I will always argue "free will".
The article talks about the excuse that

The pastor continued that the car was bought with money he saved from his second book deal and the fourth season of his reality show “The Book of John Gray” which airs on the OWN Channel.

so I tried finding out how many books he sold to afford such elaborate gift, and came across

JOHN GRAY is one of the associate pastors of America's largest church, Lakewood Church, in Houston, Texas. He preaches at Lakewood's midweek service, where attendance averages 9,000 people a week. He was one of the hosts for the new talk show The Preachers and was recently named to Oprah's Super Soul 100, a collection of 100 awakened leaders who are using their voices and talent to elevate humanity. In April of 2017 his new show "The Book of John Gray" will debut on The Oprah Winfrey Network. John resides in Houston with his wife, Aventer and their son John W. Gray IV, and daughter, Theory Aspyn-Sky Gray.
Who knows, it might just be the gullible Oprah fans who afforded him such luxury. We might never know for sure, but continue to speculate.

If these suckers want to keep giving these charlatans money, I have no problem with that. Its a free country. What I have a problem with is tax exempting these churches.

I wonder if that $200G car was a bribe for the wife not to go public about his mistress. A religious version of Hillary Clinton as it were.

Maybe it was a bribe to keep his wife from squealing about his mistress or his gigolo. You know like how trump paid off Stormy and Daniel to keep quiet about their affairs.

A religious version of donald trump as it were.

This reminds me of the conversations i have had with my wife about "long Island medium".

I don't doubt there are those that are mediums, as i have done it a few times, but I do doubt she is one of them.
She is way to casual about it and also charges money.
Honest mediums do not charge for their gift.
I never have, and never will.
I follow the Edgar Cayce example.

but there are those that believe you have to pay for things that are available for free, like tap water.

and...as you said, if they want to, then that is their business.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom