• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Meet the money behind the climate denial movement

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Meet the Money Behind The Climate Denial Movement
|
Smart News
| Smithsonian

“The anti-climate effort has been largely underwritten by conservative billionaires,” says the Guardian, “often working through secretive funding networks. They have displaced corporations as the prime supporters of 91 think tanks, advocacy groups and industry associations which have worked to block action on climate change.”

Old article but the problem has not gone anywhere; it's just gotten worse. Big Oil and Big Coal are pumping billions of dollars worth of disinformation to confuse the conversation over climate change, and many conservatives are lapping it up. The question is why they choose to listen to these corporatist hacks instead of scientists, and why we allow these corporatists to poison the discussion.

Unfortunately, many have seem to have watched too many lowbrow sci-fi movies in which a lone clever genius outcast by the rest of his field for being a complete ****ing moron actually has the answer that saves humanity from itself....

A mundane explanation stands no chance, especially when "they" have already claimed AGW is a hoax perpetrated by tens of thousands (is it more?) scientists around the world who devoted their careers to studying parts of systems that contribute to the total global climate - nevermind that people doing research on grants (usually government) tend not to make much of anything - to perpetrate this hoax on the rest of the world so that the rest of the world will switch to energy production, which in turn will cost those very same scientists real money in terms of taxes.

Great evil plan! Makes perfect sense!

They're trying to impugn all the scientists with the worst possible motive a politician could have.

Unfortunately, many have seem to have watched too many lowbrow sci-fi movies in which a lone clever genius outcast by the rest of his field for being a complete ****ing moron actually has the answer that saves humanity from itself....

A mundane explanation stands no chance, especially when "they" have already claimed AGW is a hoax perpetrated by tens of thousands (is it more?) scientists around the world who devoted their careers to studying parts of systems that contribute to the total global climate - nevermind that people doing research on grants (usually government) tend not to make much of anything - to perpetrate this hoax on the rest of the world so that the rest of the world will switch to energy production, which in turn will cost those very same scientists real money in terms of taxes.

Great evil plan! Makes perfect sense!

They're trying to impugn all the scientists with the worst possible motive a politician could have.

Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to see 2014's "Merchants of Doubt"

Rips the lid off all the idiocy the CDs spew.

I think it might make Jake Hays cry.

Merchants Of Doubt (2015) - Rotten Tomatoes

Anyone who hasn't seen it needs to see 2014's "Merchants of Doubt"

Rips the lid off all the idiocy the CDs spew.

I think it might make Jake Hays cry.

Merchants Of Doubt (2015) - Rotten Tomatoes

Judith Curry long ago exposed this for the puerile nonsense that it is.

The bottom line here is that very sloppy history and social science research (Oreskes and Conway) is being used to justify ad hominem attacks against scientists that do not support the prevailing consensus. I find this reprehensible. . . . .
It’s time for the ‘convinced’ to start beefing up their scientific arguments; they are not going to win any arguments by making ad hominem attacks on other scientists.

Bankruptcy of the 'merchants of doubt' meme | Climate Etc.

Mar 15, 2015 - by Judith Curry Naomi Oreskes' new movie Merchants of Doubt has recently ... The book The movie is based on the book Merchants of Doubt by Conway and ... On a minor personal note, I have been criticized for presenting a ...

Judith Curry long ago exposed this for the puerile nonsense that it is.

The bottom line here is that very sloppy history and social science research (Oreskes and Conway) is being used to justify ad hominem attacks against scientists that do not support the prevailing consensus. I find this reprehensible. . . . .
It’s time for the ‘convinced’ to start beefing up their scientific arguments; they are not going to win any arguments by making ad hominem attacks on other scientists.

Bankruptcy of the 'merchants of doubt' meme | Climate Etc.

Mar 15, 2015 - by Judith Curry Naomi Oreskes' new movie Merchants of Doubt has recently ... The book The movie is based on the book Merchants of Doubt by Conway and ... On a minor personal note, I have been criticized for presenting a ...

Oh, just dang it.

You've relied on partisan bull**** that you claim to hate.

DAMMIT!

There is no one less partisan than Judith Curry.

OMG I LOVE irrelevancy!

Reminds me of the soups me old gran used to make.

With squirrels that had these tiny hats on them.

Oh, man. That was nice

Say, Jack. Have I ever asked out about lizards?

OMG I LOVE irrelevancy!

Reminds me of the soups me old gran used to make.

With squirrels that had these tiny hats on them.

Oh, man. That was nice

Say, Jack. Have I ever asked out about lizards?

You described Curry's take as "partisan bull****." Don't you remember your posts?

Big Oil and Big Coal are pumping billions of dollars worth of disinformation to confuse the conversation over climate change, and many conservatives are lapping it up. The question is why they choose to listen to these corporatist hacks instead of scientists, and why we allow these corporatists to poison the discussion.

man, what a surprise that is.

Seems to me that the people who refuse to accent Climate change piece their feelings in this order: Climate change will cost me money and/or time plus change my actions that I'm used to..therefore..I don't believe it.
There IS a reason why a lot of politicians are not and will not make life better for the upcoming generations. They are sociopaths plus they are old enough that their actions now will not benefit themselves. 50-80+
These are such despicable people in this world/reality that think>> Why the hell should I care?..I'll be dead long before the proverbial S##t hits the fan. Simply..They-Just-Don't-Care.
These are exactly the type of people who should NOT be in charge and the good 'ol USA is full of them.

You described Curry's take as "partisan bull****." Don't you remember your posts?

Do you remember when you used to post things that were relevant?

OMG! Neither do I!

I love these trips down memory lane!

YAY! Easter bonnets!

Seems to me that the people who refuse to accent Climate change piece their feelings in this order: Climate change will cost me money and/or time plus change my actions that I'm used to..therefore..I don't believe it.
There IS a reason why a lot of politicians are not and will not make life better for the upcoming generations. They are sociopaths plus they are old enough that their actions now will not benefit themselves. 50-80+
These are such despicable people in this world/reality that think>> Why the hell should I care?..I'll be dead long before the proverbial S##t hits the fan. Simply..They-Just-Don't-Care.
These are exactly the type of people who should NOT be in charge and the good 'ol USA is full of them.

[h=2]How Climate Change Pseudoscience Became Publicly Accepted[/h]

Curry debunked your link in #5. Pretty relevant.

No, that didn't happen.

You seem unwell and confuzzled.

You know what? I think the 351 Cleveland ALWAYS beat the 351 Windsor.

But, ya know, those blueberries!

AMIRITE! YEAH!

Newp. No denial. Just laughing at your rabid dishonesty.

Yet again.

And, btw, I LOVE laughing. Thanks!

I'm amused as well. Reminds me of our first encounter, when your ignorance of history led to a thrashing by me. Good times. But I see you're still upset. That makes it even better.:mrgreen:

I'm amused as well. Reminds me of our first encounter, when your ignorance of history led to a thrashing by me. Good times. But I see you're still upset. That makes it even better.:mrgreen:

Ah, yes! I remember that.

When you made the head-up-the-ass claim that Reagan (and forgive me for laughing) "ended the Cold War"

We both had a good laugh when you were forced to eat your own words and admit you lied.

Always a good time with you, old friend.

Ah, yes! I remember that.

When you made the head-up-the-ass claim that Reagan (and forgive me for laughing) "ended the Cold War"

We both had a good laugh when you were forced to eat your own words and admit you lied.

Always a good time with you, old friend.

You have not learned anything in the interim.

. . . He is vividly remembered in Russia today as the force that precipitated the Soviet collapse.
“Reagan bolstered the U.S. military might to ruin the Soviet economy, and he achieved his goal,” said Gennady Gerasimov, who served as top spokesman for the Soviet Foreign Ministry during the 1980s. . . .

“Reagan’s SDI was a very successful blackmail,” Gerasimov told The Associated Press. “The Soviet Union tried to keep up pace with the U.S. military buildup, but the Soviet economy couldn’t endure such competition.”
Yelena Bonner, the widow of Soviet dissident Nobel Prize winner Andrei Sakharov, praised Reagan for his tough course toward the Soviet Union.
“I consider Ronald Reagan one of the greatest U.S. presidents since the World War II because of his staunch resistance to Communism and his efforts to defend human rights,” Bonner said in a telephone interview from her home in Boston. “Reagan’s policy was consistent and precise, and he had a great talent of choosing the right people for his administration.”. . .

The Legacy of Ronald Reagan - NBC News

Jun 5, 2004 - President Ronald Reagan shakes hands with Mikhail Gorbachev after ... “Reagan and Gorbachev helped end the Cold War,” Gerasimov said.

You have not learned anything in the interim.

. . . He is vividly remembered in Russia today as the force that precipitated the Soviet collapse.
“Reagan bolstered the U.S. military might to ruin the Soviet economy, and he achieved his goal,” said Gennady Gerasimov, who served as top spokesman for the Soviet Foreign Ministry during the 1980s. . . .

“Reagan’s SDI was a very successful blackmail,” Gerasimov told The Associated Press. “The Soviet Union tried to keep up pace with the U.S. military buildup, but the Soviet economy couldn’t endure such competition.”
Yelena Bonner, the widow of Soviet dissident Nobel Prize winner Andrei Sakharov, praised Reagan for his tough course toward the Soviet Union.
“I consider Ronald Reagan one of the greatest U.S. presidents since the World War II because of his staunch resistance to Communism and his efforts to defend human rights,” Bonner said in a telephone interview from her home in Boston. “Reagan’s policy was consistent and precise, and he had a great talent of choosing the right people for his administration.”. . .

The Legacy of Ronald Reagan - NBC News

Jun 5, 2004 - President Ronald Reagan shakes hands with Mikhail Gorbachev after ... “Reagan and Gorbachev helped end the Cold War,” Gerasimov said.

Oh, man! What fun it must be to substitute quotes from Russians for the reality of things.

Always a good time exposing historical illteracy and pig-ignorance.

Sorry you couldn't make you case and were forced to retereat.

Oh, man! What fun it must be to substitute quotes from Russians for the reality of things.

Always a good time exposing historical illteracy and pig-ignorance.

Sorry you couldn't make you case and were forced to retereat.

You lost.

Back
Top Bottom