• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Medicare for everyone

azgreg

Chicks dig the long ball
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Why can't we use Medicare for everyone? I propose that we modify Medicare so it can be used by everyone. What are the downfalls if those that have private health insurance provided through work, for example, instead of your premiums going to United Health Care, etc. they go to Medicare and are managed through plan E or whatever. Those who qualify because of low income level, retired, etc. would use plan A and B just like they do now. I don't know, just tossing it out there for discussion.

For me anyway, the main downfall would be loss of medical coverage. This is due to the fact that I will not take a single penny of Government healthcare under any circumstance. Up to an including my own death. The Government t has no legal mandate to be involved in healthcare.

For me anyway, the main downfall would be loss of medical coverage. This is due to the fact that I will not take a single penny of Government healthcare under any circumstance. Up to an including my own death. The Government t has no legal mandate to be involved in healthcare.

Do you have health insurance now?

Why can't we use Medicare for everyone? I propose that we modify Medicare so it can be used by everyone. What are the downfalls if those that have private health insurance provided through work, for example, instead of your premiums going to United Health Care, etc. they go to Medicare and are managed through plan E or whatever. Those who qualify because of low income level, retired, etc. would use plan A and B just like they do now. I don't know, just tossing it out there for discussion.

You want to put more people into a program that is going broke? Why?

You want to put more people into a program that is going broke? Why?

Obviously Medicare wouldn't have the same level of funding it has now. My understanding of insurance companies is they use the premiums for investments. if insurance companies used only premiums for income they would all go broke. No reason why Medicare couldn't do the same.

I'm for picking the best first world solution to replace our failing system, but your proposal is my favorite.

Obviously Medicare wouldn't have the same level of funding it has now. My understanding of insurance companies is they use the premiums for investments. if insurance companies used only premiums for income they would all go broke. No reason why Medicare couldn't do the same.

When you say level of funding you mean more taxes right? Yeah that'll fly!

No. Funding would come from the premiums that you and your company now pay into private insurance companies.

How about instead of medicare and medicaid and obamacare you just implement universal healthcare?

No. Funding would come from the premiums that you and your company now pay into private insurance companies.

In other words, taxes, like I have no choice whether to pay for Medicare now.

How about instead of medicare and medicaid and obamacare you just implement universal healthcare?

Well we would need a lot more doctors to have that. Insurance is not healthcare.

It's seems like a much better investment of our tax dollars than the ridiculous amount of money we put towards military spending or keeping people incarcerated.

Well we would need a lot more doctors to have that. Insurance is not healthcare.

Yes. mandatory universal insurance =/= universal healthcare. As to the need for more doctors... how about some proper immigration? You know, legal immigration based on contracts and work visas as opposed to illegal immigration of poorly qualified or unskilled workers.

Great plan, I'm in complete agreement. Or the easy way: extend Medicare to all ages. Easy.

Not the role of government. We shouldn't even have medicare.....

In other words, taxes, like I have no choice whether to pay for Medicare now.

So you think the money you put into your health insurance and the money your company put into your health insurance = taxes.

Fire department's are local are they not? Not federal?

Fair enough, but I was using Medicare as an example. If the same system could be used on the state level, how about that.

Fair enough, but I was using Medicare as an example. If the same system could be used on the state level, how about that.

That's comparing Apple's and Oranges though. The states have a lot more freedom and leverage than the federal level does. At least, that is how it was supposed to be....

Sorry, I should have stated not the role of FEDERAL government. My apologies.

Gotcha. That's way easier since I've yet to learn all 50 state's cons. Ours (Federally) specifically lists "promote the general welfare" under the enumerated powers granted Congress.

So it is the roll of government if Congress thinks it's in our best interest, clearly, pursuant to the Con.

The big problem with that plan, is that Medicare relies on all particpants paying in a fixed portion of their earned income which is insuffuicent to pay the promised benefits upon reaching age 65 (or becomming disabled). If one assumes that $5000/year is needed to cover an individual plan and that $20K is needed for a family plan then many folks would be left without means to survive after the "fair" amount of Medicare tax was taken from their paychecks.

Back
Top Bottom