• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Medical marijuana growers join Teamsters union

Councilman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Seriously shouldn't they join the Cesar Chavez, United Farm Workers Union?

It seems only fitting to me. I too also wonder since the Teamsters already allow
Illegal Aliens to join if this new bunch will include the Mexican Drug Cartel
members who grow on public land in California?

After all it's about collecting the dues not doing the right thing.

Only in the Granola State would we see this.

Oh what's the Granola State, you ask? Why it's California of course. In California
what ain't fruits and nuts is flakes.

Not me of course.

Medical marijuana growers join Teamsters union

Medical marijuana growers join Teamsters union - BusinessWeek

As organized labor faces declining membership, one of the country's most storied unions is looking to a new growth industry: marijuana.

The Teamsters added nearly 40 new members earlier this month by organizing the country's first group of unionized marijuana growers. Such an arrangement is likely only possible in California, which has the nation's loosest medical marijuana laws.

But it's still unclear how the Teamsters will safeguard the rights of members who do work that's considered a federal crime.

"I didn't have this planned out when I became a Teamster 34 years ago, to organize marijuana workers," said Lou Marchetti, who acted as a liaison between the growers and Oakland-based Teamsters Local 70. "This is a whole new ballgame."

The new members work as gardeners, trimmers and cloners for Marjyn Investments LLC, an Oakland business that contracts with medical marijuana patients to grow their pot for them.

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me what it is, exactly, that conservatives hate so much about unions? I've always thought they were an interesting formation of the free market, workers using that freedom of association to get themselves a better deal and safer working conditions. Is it just some arbitrary "well NOWADAYS they ask for TOO MUCH" sort of thing? Seems like a free market thing to me even then. I mean, when a company charges "too much" for a product but people still buy it happily, we don't growl about that do we?

Or is it the "uniting workers" = "communism" thing?

Who knows, maybe they will find Jimmy Hoffa, buried in a marijuana patch, with a smile on his face. :mrgreen:

Can someone explain to me what it is, exactly, that conservatives hate so much about unions? I've always thought they were an interesting formation of the free market, workers using that freedom of association to get themselves a better deal and safer working conditions. Is it just some arbitrary "well NOWADAYS they ask for TOO MUCH" sort of thing? Seems like a free market thing to me even then. I mean, when a company charges "too much" for a product but people still buy it happily, we don't growl about that do we?

Or is it the "uniting workers" = "communism" thing?

I believe it's the protection the government gives to unions that they don't like, their "free market forces" can't come into play 'cause industries are limited in hiring outside of the unions.

Back
Top Bottom