• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Medical errors now third leading cause of death...

MickeyW

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Nightmare stories of nurses giving potent drugs meant for one patient to another and surgeons removing the wrong body parts have dominated recent headlines about medical care. Lest you assume those cases are the exceptions, a new study by patient safety researchers provides some context.

Their analysis, published in the BMJ on Tuesday, shows that "medical errors" in hospitals and other health care facilities are incredibly common and may now be the third leading cause of death in the United States -- claiming 251,000 lives every year, more than respiratory disease, accidents, stroke and Alzheimer's.
The IOM, based on one study, estimated deaths because of medical errors as high as 98,000 a year.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hird-leading-cause-of-death-in-united-states/

btw, gun deaths are soo far down the list as to render them meaningless.

Nightmare stories of nurses giving potent drugs meant for one patient to another and surgeons removing the wrong body parts have dominated recent headlines about medical care. Lest you assume those cases are the exceptions, a new study by patient safety researchers provides some context.

Their analysis, published in the BMJ on Tuesday, shows that "medical errors" in hospitals and other health care facilities are incredibly common and may now be the third leading cause of death in the United States -- claiming 251,000 lives every year, more than respiratory disease, accidents, stroke and Alzheimer's.
The IOM, based on one study, estimated deaths because of medical errors as high as 98,000 a year.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hird-leading-cause-of-death-in-united-states/

Hmm...maybe we should ban healthcare. Then we wouldn't have to worry about such deaths ever again. :coffeepap:

Hmm...maybe we should ban healthcare. Then we wouldn't have to worry about such deaths ever again. :coffeepap:

What it means it that our health care system is in desperate need of reform, or that modern medicine is not as foolproof as everyone thinks it is.

Industry, industry, industry.

Sigh.......if only we could get enough people to apply that same kind of logic to the failures, waste and corruption of the Federal Government.........

Medical errors? This can't be right, muslim terrorists are the biggest threat to life from what I've been told by the media.

Medical errors? This can't be right, muslim terrorists are the biggest threat to life from what I've been told by the media.

Nuh-uh! Gun owners are the biggest threat to life according to the media. After all if there were no guns there would be no gun-related deaths. (Sarcasm) :roll:

Of course if there were no peanuts (or other nuts) there would be no nut-related deaths. And if we got rid of Healthcare there would be no Healthcare related deaths.

Hell, if we got rid of death there would be no death-related deaths.

I vote for a general ban on death, or at the very least some heavy regulation of death. Who's with me? :coffeepap:

Last edited:

And we have The Greatest Health Care System In the World from what I've been told by the Obamacare haters, so it can't be right.

And we have The Greatest Health Care System In the World from what I've been told by the Obamacare haters, so it can't be right.

its moving to a lowest common denominator system where experienced top flight doctors are getting paid the same as some guy right out of the bottom of the 300th best medical school.

What it means it that our health care system is in desperate need of reform, or that modern medicine is not as foolproof as everyone thinks it is.

I agree with your "or" statement, but I feel I wouldn't agree with you on the method of reform.

Or the cost cutting built into Obamacare is reducing quality of care in American hospitals...

#1 Heart Disease 614k, 25% of those deaths preventable with diet and exercise 1 in 3 Deaths from Cardiovascular Disease Is Preventable
#2 Cancer 591k I saw variable articles on how many are preventable with diet and exercise...not all, but some.
#3 Medical Error....251k, preventable
#4 Respiratory disease 146k
#5 Accidents 136k
#6 Stroke 133k
#7 Alzheimer's 93k
#8 Diabetes 76k Diet and Exercise, not all...but....
#9 Flu 55k
#10 Kidney 48k
#11 Suicide 42k 2/3 related to gun since OP brought that up., about 14k not due to guns.

Diabetes is going to be top 5 in the next 10 years. Heart disease will go up as well.
Suicide is a health issue as well.

I think we need some serious restructuring of our health and mental care. Preventable deaths could be around 400k accounting for 25% heart disease, a good portion of diabetes and medical error.

Or the cost cutting built into Obamacare is reducing quality of care in American hospitals...

Or maybe, since the study looked at deaths from 2000 to 2008 (before ACA was passed) it has nothing to do with Obamacare.

Just a hunch

Or maybe, since the study looked at deaths from 2000 to 2008 (before ACA was passed) it has nothing to do with Obamacare.

Just a hunch

Sure, and Obamacare's whole point is to cut costs in the health care industry. So reducing the quality of care in American Healthcare would only exacerbate the problem. Unless you are arguing that cutting cost in healthcare will lead to fewer medical errors.

Also you really have no comparisons to other countries in this study so making that comparative statement without the necessary data is ... dubious.

Sure, and Obamacare's whole point is to cut costs in the health care industry. So reducing the quality of care in American Healthcare would only exacerbate the problem.

You could have saved some typing by just admitting that ACA had nothing to do with this.

But instead, you went the dishonest route, and tried to pretend we were talking about costs

Also you really have no comparisons to other countries in this study so making that comparative statement without the necessary data is ... dubious.

and pretending I made a comparative statement

You could have saved some typing by just admitting that ACA had nothing to do with this.

As you could have saved some typing by just admitting that you can't make a comparative judgement from this.

But instead, you went the dishonest route, and tried to pretend we were talking about costs

Of course I was talking about costs. Are you saying that the AFFORDABLE CARE act was a misnomer?! Surely you jest! :roll:

and pretending I made a comparative statement

You did. By trying to call out other people's comparative statements as bogus in light of this study you have made a comparative statement. In reality you have no idea whether this findings statistics is better or worse than any other country, so the information in no way discredits any claim of the quality of the US healthcare industry as you suggest.

As you could have saved some typing by just admitting that you can't make a comparative judgement from this.

I didn't make a comparative judgement

Of course I was talking about costs.

No you weren't. Read the thread title. We were talking about the rate of medical errors

You did. By trying to call out other people's comparative statements as bogus in light of this study you have made a comparative statement. In reality you have no idea whether this findings statistics is better or worse than any other country, so the information in no way discredits any claim of the quality of the US healthcare industry as you suggest.

Saying a comparative statement is bogus is not making a comparative statement.

It's English. Learn it.

Ueah, the government should take it over. They'll fix it.

The media tells me it's assault by transgendered predators in Target bathrooms.

I didn't make a comparative judgement

Yes you did. You compared the status of the American medical system as presented in the OP to the opinion others hold about the American medical system.

No you weren't. Read the thread title. We were talking about the rate of medical errors

No, I was talking about cost.

Saying a comparative statement is bogus is not making a comparative statement.

It is indeed a comparison. You compared the state of the American healthcare system that you saw in the OP study with the state of the American healthcare system as stated by your imagined counterpart.

Your attempted comparison fell flat because you can't logically use the data in the OP to refute the opinion you claimed others have made.

Yes you did. You compared the status of the American medical system as presented in the OP to the opinion others hold about the American medical system.

That is a lie

No, I was talking about cost.

In a thread that has nothing to do with the cost of health care.

It is indeed a comparison. You compared the state of the American healthcare system that you saw in the OP study with the state of the American healthcare system as stated by your imagined counterpart.

Your attempted comparison fell flat because you can't logically use the data in the OP to refute the opinion you claimed others have made.

That is a lie.

That is a lie

Nope, it's the truth. I know you have a trouble seeing what you don't want to believe, but it is true nonetheless.

In a thread that has nothing to do with the cost of health care.

It didn't until you decided to make a stupid political statement linking the OP to Obamacare. Once you chose to attack other people's opinions on Obamacare you opened the door.

That is a lie.

Nope, it's the truth. Your inability to mount a counter argument says it all.

Nope, it's the truth. I know you have a trouble seeing what you don't want to believe, but it is true nonetheless.

Still a lie

It didn't until you decided to make a stupid political statement linking the OP to Obamacare. Once you chose to attack other people's opinions on Obamacare you opened the door.

I said nothing about Obamacare

Nope, it's the truth. Your inability to mount a counter argument says it all.

still a lie

Still a lie

Nope, and you still don't have a valid argument.

I said nothing about Obamacare

Now THAT is a lie. You most definitely brought Obamacare into the discussion:

"And we have The Greatest Health Care System In the World from what I've been told by the Obamacare haters, so it can't be right." - Sanga (link)

still a lie

Still true. Thank you for offering a lie of your own, though, so the audience can remember what a lie actually looks like.

Nope, and you still don't have a valid argument.

still a lie

Now THAT is a lie. You most definitely brought Obamacare into the discussion:

Another lie. I said nothing about Obamacare

"And we have The Greatest Health Care System In the World from what I've been told by the Obamacare haters, so it can't be right." - Sanga (link)

There is nothing about Obamacare in that quote

Still true. Thank you for offering a lie of your own, though, so the audience can remember what a lie actually looks like.

still a lie

Back
Top Bottom