• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Media shield act moves on to the full Senate

TacticalEvilDan

Shankmasta Killa
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
A Senate panel on Thursday backed legislation that would offer protections to a broad variety of journalists who do not want to divulge their confidential sources of information.

The key point of debate over the bill, which was advanced by the Senate Judiciary Committee by a 13-to-5 vote, had been the definition of a journalist.

Although some members had pressed for a narrower definition, the version to be debated on the Senate floor will cover journalists who had an “employment relationship” for one year within the past 20 years, or three months within the past five years, and someone with a “substantial track record” of freelancing in the past five years.

Media shield act moves on to the full Senate - The Washington Post

At first I was all "good," then I realized that they had no intention of covering anybody who is not a known element in the government-media complex.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the "blogosphere's" biggest fan, I just think that corporate journalists aren't the only ones needing protection.

Back
Top Bottom