• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Media Matters Founder David Brock Calls On NBC, CNN To Cancel Clinton Specials

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I can see it now, everyone on the right will want CNN and NBC to air the programs.

Media Matters Founder David Brock Calls On NBC, CNN To Cancel Clinton Specials | Blog | Media Matters for America

In letters to top network executives, Media Matters founder David Brock called on NBC and CNN to cancel their entertainment divisions' planned special programming on former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

On July 27, NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt announced plans for a Clinton-based miniseries timed to precede the 2016 presidential race as part of a new NBC effort "to create 'event' programming that will draw viewers to the shrinking world of broadcast network TV." On July 29, CNN Films announced they plan to produce a feature-length documentary film on Clinton to premiere in 2014. Neither outlet plans to involve their network's news division in the effort.

Brock's letters to NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt and CNN Worldwide President Jeff Zucker were written in support of previous letters by Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus, who has also urged both networks to cancel the planned programs.

Brock writes that since the projects "could coincide with a potential Clinton presidential campaign, the timing raises too many questions about fairness and conflicts of interest ahead of the 2016 election."

Read more about the projects and the conservative movement's response to them here, here, here, and here.

Read the full letters are at the link above.​

You wanted to show your bias so badly that you had to make a dupe thread. Way to go!

Like a broken clock, Media Matters is occasionally correct and right on time.

I'm a conservative, and I guess your definition of on the right, and I'd applaud them for speaking out in a reasonable, rational manner.

I would, however, expect you to be railing against your favorite news source considering your comments on the matter previously.

I can see it now, everyone on the right will want CNN and NBC to air the programs.

Media Matters Founder David Brock Calls On NBC, CNN To Cancel Clinton Specials | Blog | Media Matters for America

In letters to top network executives, Media Matters founder David Brock called on NBC and CNN to cancel their entertainment divisions' planned special programming on former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

On July 27, NBC Entertainment chairman Bob Greenblatt announced plans for a Clinton-based miniseries timed to precede the 2016 presidential race as part of a new NBC effort "to create 'event' programming that will draw viewers to the shrinking world of broadcast network TV." On July 29, CNN Films announced they plan to produce a feature-length documentary film on Clinton to premiere in 2014. Neither outlet plans to involve their network's news division in the effort.

Brock's letters to NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt and CNN Worldwide President Jeff Zucker were written in support of previous letters by Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus, who has also urged both networks to cancel the planned programs.

Brock writes that since the projects "could coincide with a potential Clinton presidential campaign, the timing raises too many questions about fairness and conflicts of interest ahead of the 2016 election."

Read more about the projects and the conservative movement's response to them here, here, here, and here.

Even a broken clock is right at least twice a day.Perhaps Media Matters sees the dangers of networks airing two hour long commercials for candidates in the form of movies knows that one day the shoe will be on the other foot.

Well I guess that must prove that Brock isn't a Democrat Party whore after all.
dripping-sarcasm3.gif

Even a broken clock is right at least twice a day.Perhaps Media Matters sees the dangers of networks airing two hour long commercials for candidates in the form of movies knows that one day the shoe will be on the other foot.

And NBC and CNN would be in the RIGHT to air it since Hillary has NOT announced any candidacy. What rules would be broken for airing a special on a NON-CANDIDATE?

Has Hillary already announced she is running for President in 2016? If not then I see weak bladders on the at the RNC.

Next it seems very two faced to say a multi-faceted corporation like CNN or NBC with their separate divisions can't have a variety of viewpoints compartmentalized off by corporate walls. Does the Entertainment Division dictate what the News Division airs?

That would be like saying Fox Noise is run by the Fox entertainment division so that the writers of 'The Simpson's' write the 'Fox and Friends' Morning Show scripts.... ok, not a good example, the difference isn't all that great... :(

How about saying the 'Family Guy' crew manages the Sunday Fox Political show... that's better....

Fox which airs 'Glee' which upsets many social conservatives also airs what many liberals consider very biased newscasts.

I think the divisions within a major corporation can stay clear of each other.... and until Hillary announces she is a candidate she isn't. Sort of like the 'conservative' rant about over reach... until Hillary says she is a candidate, she is NOT a candidate- no undue influence. That the RNC is so worried about her running so far out says volumes about their desperation.

And NBC and CNN would be in the RIGHT to air it since Hillary has NOT announced any candidacy. What rules would be broken for airing a special on a NON-CANDIDATE?

If she is not a candidate, let alone THE candidate, I'll mail you a dollar.

If she is not a candidate, let alone THE candidate, I'll mail you a dollar.

Then mail me a dollar, because right now she is NOT a candidate. She has not announced ANY intention RIGHT NOW to run. So, given the law, she is not a candidate.

Yeah more than likely she wont run. Since she doesn't want to answer why she never called back to check on her people. Nor even called Hicks back.

Be a nasty mess for her this time. Plus peoples pictures of the dead splattered all over the country.

Even she knows tears wont work this time. ;)

Kinda hard to play the "Citizens United" card every election if you support major networks airing movies about their favorite politicians leading up to elections.

Kinda hard to play the "Citizens United" card every election if you support major networks airing movies about their favorite politicians leading up to elections.

Conservatives loved Citizens United and repeal of the fairness doctrine. That is, until now. Now that the Dems have figured out how to use it to their advantage...

As long as the "mini-series" isn't dealing with a person who has announced their candidacy, there is nothing illegal about it. Seems like the RNC is just whining because the Dems may have found a loophole bigger than the one the RNC has been using.

Then mail me a dollar, because right now she is NOT a candidate. She has not announced ANY intention RIGHT NOW to run. So, given the law, she is not a candidate.

Given the law... would you agree to a retroactive application? That is to say, if a notably political persona has tv movies made about them by media outlets which then get aired, should that person be denied candidacy due to unfair media practices?

And I will restate my earlier wager so as to be absolutely clear: If Hilary does not become a candidate, let alone THE candidate, I will mail you a dollar. There isn't a person in this country who believes she isn't going to take a stab at it in 2016.

Well I guess that must prove that Brock isn't a Democrat Party whore after all.
dripping-sarcasm3.gif

while I have my issues with MM, this isn't the time to knock them. They deserve some well won praise for this move

I have yet to see an actual advertisement for the clinton miniseries, but I have seen a lot of whining about it. It makes me wonder if creating all of this outrage over it will actually do anything to prevent people from watching it if they do not get it pulled. Not that i care much to watch it, but i sure as hell know about it because of the outrage. I have this feeling the only reason the media even cares is to pump up the ratings for it. I never even knew there was a bible series until they made satan look like Obama. i never even knew Kirk Cameron had a movie until they got it report banned on youtube and facebook. Is this even political at this point, or is it just a way to sell more advertising? I would be amazed if NBC actually cancelled it after all of this hype.

It is a great way to troll up ratings usinhg her haters to do their advertising for them. She does have a large following of village idiots shouting stuff at her so it makes perfect sense to use them to create a firestorm around a friggen documentary. She may one day be president, but how exciting could all of this actually be? We get to see the inner workings of the arkansas governor's mansion from the POV of the wife. Then we get to see her in the white house decorating. We cannot even get a sex scene because we know bill had to run to an ugly intern just to get a blowjob. Finally we get to see a bit about her being a senator. One thing i am looking for is her running time to the middle of jersey on 9/11. I am pretty sure she got to wildwood before the second tower collapsed. Finally we get to see her as secretary of state which will not be satisfying to anyone unless they show her whipping Obama in bondage gear while ordering the military to shoot themselves for her amusement. It just seems boring to me, and i think i will do something more exciting that evening. I can see there will be many viewers around here who will watch it just so they have something to complain about the next day.

while I have my issues with MM, this isn't the time to knock them.
They deserve some well won praise
for this move

I don't know about "they". My understanding is that this was Brock alone. I'd like to see how the MM rank-and-file feel about it.

I'm not on the right - you are.

I could care less if they do or don't....

It's not exactly like our next president will be anything but a RINO/Neo-Con or progressive tyrant....... Either way America gets screwed...

I have yet to see an actual advertisement for the clinton miniseries, but I have seen a lot of whining about it. It makes me wonder if creating all of this outrage over it will actually do anything to prevent people from watching it if they do not get it pulled.

people love watching people they hate. If for nothing more, as a chance to watch that person fail

Mayweather Jr. has been banking on his hate for years

I don't know about "they". My understanding is that this was Brock alone. I'd like to see how the MM rank-and-file feel about it.

fair point

A stopped clock is right twice a day!

A stopped clock is right twice a day!
:lamo You are hardly the first person to express that idiotic "opinion" in this thread. If your intent is to say that's the only time they are correct, then I would like you to prove it.

:lamo You are hardly the first person to express that idiotic "opinion" in this thread. If your intent is to say that's the only time they are correct, then I would like you to prove it.

Hey, I'm saying that even though David Brock is wrong on virtually every issue, he's right about this one.

Hey, I'm saying that even though David Brock is wrong on virtually every issue, he's right about this one.
Oh, I completely understand what you are saying and I understand you differ on 'issues.' But you can't show everything posted at Media Matters is wrong. You just can't.

Back
Top Bottom