• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Media Matters Founder David Brock Calls On NBC, CNN To Cancel Clinton Specials

Oh, I completely understand what you are saying and I understand you differ on 'issues.' But you can't show everything posted at Media Matters is wrong. You just can't.

OK, OK everything at Media Matters isn't wrong. Only 95%?

Your opinion is noted. Show me just one.
Media Matters for America

Just today their lead article is:

The Wall Street Journal editorial board's Stephen Moore falsely claimed that the drastic budget cuts known as sequestration have had "none of the anticipated negative consequences," when in reality economists have explained that the cuts have had devastating effects on economic growth, jobs, and programs for low-income Americans.

This is nonsense -- Moore is correct, Media Matters strikes out.

The Wall Street Journal editorial board's Stephen Moore falsely claimed that the drastic budget cuts known as sequestration have had "none of the anticipated negative consequences," when in reality economists have explained that the cuts have had devastating effects on economic growth, jobs, and programs for low-income Americans.

They are not wrong, they back up their contention with links:

And as predicted, the cuts are harming the economy. Sequestration is having a negative effect on GDP growth and causing job losses. According to a new analysis by the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office, canceling the sequestration cuts would raise GDP by 0.7 percent and increase employment by 900,000 new jobs by 2014, and would lead to greater output and higher employment in the next few years.

Furthermore, tens of thousands of individuals have already seen federal unemployment benefits cut by as much as 10.7 percent, Meals On Wheels programs have had to cut hundreds of meals from their regular service to low-income seniors, and Head Start programs have had to cancel sessions for at-risk children. According to the Department of Education, sequestration further cut $60 million from federal funding for schools that educate children who live on Indian reservations, military bases, or in low-income housing. In some cases, districts will be forced to close schools and reduce the number of courses offered.

Economist Jared Bernstein, former economic adviser to Vice President Biden, has tracked and documented the drastic effects that the cuts are having on everything from Medicare-funded cancer treatments and public safety, to scientific and medical research. Finally, Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel announced on August 6 that furloughs to civilian defense workers caused by sequestration have created "a military whose readiness remains seriously degraded."

WSJ's Stephen Moore: Devastating Sequestration Cuts Are A "Success" Free Of "Negative Consequences" | Blog | Media Matters for America

They are not wrong, they back up their contention with links:

And as predicted, the cuts are harming the economy. Sequestration is having a negative effect on GDP growth and causing job losses. According to a new analysis by the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office, canceling the sequestration cuts would raise GDP by 0.7 percent and increase employment by 900,000 new jobs by 2014, and would lead to greater output and higher employment in the next few years.

Furthermore, tens of thousands of individuals have already seen federal unemployment benefits cut by as much as 10.7 percent, Meals On Wheels programs have had to cut hundreds of meals from their regular service to low-income seniors, and Head Start programs have had to cancel sessions for at-risk children. According to the Department of Education, sequestration further cut $60 million from federal funding for schools that educate children who live on Indian reservations, military bases, or in low-income housing. In some cases, districts will be forced to close schools and reduce the number of courses offered.

Economist Jared Bernstein, former economic adviser to Vice President Biden, has tracked and documented the drastic effects that the cuts are having on everything from Medicare-funded cancer treatments and public safety, to scientific and medical research. Finally, Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel announced on August 6 that furloughs to civilian defense workers caused by sequestration have created "a military whose readiness remains seriously degraded."

WSJ's Stephen Moore: Devastating Sequestration Cuts Are A "Success" Free Of "Negative Consequences" | Blog | Media Matters for America

Yes, links to The Atlantic, Huffpo, et al. They are all left-liberal opinion sources. They are all wrong. Your point?

Yes, links to The Atlantic, Huffpo, et al. They are all left-liberal opinion sources. They are all wrong. Your point?

Stephen Moore said it was free of "Negative Consequences" and Media Matters shows that not true at least from a Liberal POV.

Stephen Moore said it was free of "Negative Consequences" and Media Matters shows that not true at least from a Liberal POV.

You are cherry-picking the quote. Would Media Matters approve of THAT??? :lol:

You are cherry-picking the quote. Would Media Matters approve of THAT??? :lol:
No, I am not, that was their point. Something can be a success and still have negative consequences which they have shown.

No, I am not, that was their point. Something can be a success and still have negative consequences which they have shown.

You cheery-picked the quote. The sentence Steve Moore actually wrote is absolutely true.

You cheery-picked the quote. The sentence Steve Moore actually wrote is absolutely true.

Was it this one?

Admittedly, this fiscal progress follows the gigantic budget blowout that began with the last year of George W. Bush's presidency

You tell me. You're the one trying to support David Brock's false debunking of Moore.
You are the one who wrote this: The sentence Steve Moore actually wrote is absolutely true. So, I am asking you which sentence are you speaking of?

now that this miniseries is being made into a political/first amendment issue I have to say... I don't mind them showing it one bit.

I don't think she has done anything remotely worthy of having a miniseries, i will undoubtedly tune -out for that "event"... but if that's what NBC and CNN wants to show, then by gawd, show it.
tell all the folks who oppose free speech to shove it.

now that this miniseries is being made into a political/first amendment issue I have to say... I don't mind them showing it one bit.

I don't think she has done anything remotely worthy of having a miniseries, i will undoubtedly tune -out for that "event"... but if that's what NBC and CNN wants to show, then by gawd, show it.
tell all the folks who oppose free speech to shove it.

Couldn't agree more.

But the show should end with her shouting "What difference does it make?!"

Then mail me a dollar, because right now she is NOT a candidate. She has not announced ANY intention RIGHT NOW to run. So, given the law, she is not a candidate.

So if the film is aired she should be disqualified from running? C'mon, everyone knows she is going to run for pres.

So if the film is aired she should be disqualified from running? C'mon, everyone knows she is going to run for pres.

Nope as long as it doesn't air AFTER she has declared her candidacy, there is nothing wrong with what CNN and NBC are doing.

It's funny seeing the right pissed off about this.

Ahhh yes, the "No controlling legal authority" defense.:lol:

Nothing illegal is being done. Clinton has not BY LAW announced her candidacy. There is no defense needed, nothing illegal is being done. Now, go cry in your cheerios some more and come back when you think I care.

Media Matters is correct. The sequestor took a direct hit on our finances and we're not low income. So if it effected us you can bet your bippy that it effected low income Americans and slowed economic growth and jobs.

Back
Top Bottom