• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod story

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Media Matters has been caught red handed yet again, using lies and deceptions in the Shirley Sherrod incident to level another false attack on Fox News. What's so sad about this, is that so many people on the left bought their BS hook, line and sinker, when the facts were so easily checkable.

Media Matters on July 22nd, published a story titled "Timeline of Breitbart's Sherrod smear", where they use lies and deceptions to lead their readers into falsely believing that Fox News played a pivotal role in Shirley Sherrod losing her job.

DECEPTION
Their time line for Monday, the day this all happened, lays out 20 different events in chronological order from 11:18 am when Breitbart posts the video on biggovernment.com, thru 10:39 pm when CNN reports on her resignation. Right away 2 things immediately jumped out at me. For some strange reason, the event they titled "Fox News amplifies Breitbart's deceptively edited video" (complete with screen shot of the Foxnews.com story) was the only event that MM didn't include a time with, and they placed that event between Breitbart's release of the video at 11:18 am, and Gateway Pundit's post at 12:13 pm.

Since this is a "time line", MM leads it's readers to believe that the Foxnews.com story was published sometime between 11:18 and 12:13 on Monday.

The Facts
That story (which was the first that mentioned the issue) wasn't published on Foxnews.com until just after 6pm Monday, as is indicated by the first public comment which was made at 6:22pm. So in reality, the Foxnews.com story should have been the 10th event in that time line, instead of 2nd.

LIE
In the event titled "Fox News amplifies Breitbart's deceptively edited video", MM states:

On July 19, FoxNews.com reported: "Days after the NAACP clashed with Tea Party members over allegations of racism, a video has surfaced showing an Agriculture Department official regaling an NAACP audience with a story about how she withheld help to a white farmer facing bankruptcy."​
Now in an attempt to make it look like Fox News is trying to cover up their "complicity" in taking Shirley Sherrod down, they go on to say...

The article is no longer available on FoxNews.com but was republished on another website:

0721-originalfoxsherrodstory.jpg

The Facts
That article was never taken down, and is still available on Foxnews.com as we speak.

MISLEADING
MM goes the extra mile to highlight what was written at 1:41 pm on Foxnation.com, by posting not one, but two screen shots of their headlines, giving everyone a before and after she was fired screen shot. They made sure that the "Fox Nation" logo was in both of them, so their readers couldn't possibly miss the word "Fox".

The point was for their readers to see 2 events tied to "Fox" before it was announced that Shirley Sherrod had resigned, to make it seem that Fox News had acted irresponsibly, and indeed played a role in her being forced to resign.

The Facts
Fox Nation is just a blogger site,not an extension of Foxnews.com. They are similar to sites like the huffington post, hotair or the daily kos, where public bloggers take information from other blogs and news outlets and write about it. The Fox News Network has nothing to do with what's posted there, just like Ariana Huffington isn't responsible for what the bloggers on her site write about. Media Matters is fully aware that Fox Nation is a blog, but hoped their readers wouldn't know that.

The facts are clear...

11:16 am
The video was released

12:13 pm
Bloggers on the net start jumping all over the story.

5:00 pm (aprox)
Shirley Sherrod pulls over her car and resigns from her job (hasn't been made public yet)

5:00 pm
O'Reilly starts taping his show (where toward the end he calls for her resignation)

6:00 pm (aprox)
Foxnews.com publishes their first story about Sharrod and the video

7:30 pm (aprox)
Foxnews.com receives word and reports that Sharrod has resigned.

8:50 pm
Bill O'Reilly becomes the first person on the Fox News Channel to mention the story on air, or show parts of the video

See what a difference the facts make?

This was nothing more than a phony Media Matters hit piece on Fox News. They tried to lead readers to believe that from the time the video was released, until the lady was forced to resign, that Fox News was publishing stories based on the edited video and had been condemning this lady as a racist all day long. Their story used deception and out right lies to try and convince people that Fox News acted irresponsibly, and therefore was to blame for that lady losing her job.

CONCLUSION

Media Matters is full of ****.

Last edited:
Re: Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod sto

I see a different date on the one you have above and the one you link. Did they take it down for awhile?

Re: Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod sto

Okay hotshot, how come the date on the screen grab published by MMfA shows a date of July 19, and the link you provide shows a published date of July 20?

Also please note that the very first comment after the story is:

tv1530

What a nice person.

Monday, July 19, 2010 at 3:22 PM

This looks like an epic FAIL on your part.

Last edited:

I see a different date on the one you have above and the one you link. Did they take it down for awhile?

No, they didn't take it down.

When Foxnews.com updates a story that they've published, they change the date of the story to reflect when it was updated. In this case, the story was published on the 19th and last updated the next day, on the 20th. The Associated Press and many other news sites do the same thing also.

Okay hotshot, how come the date on the screen grab published by MMfA shows a date of July 19, and the link you provide shows a published date of July 20?

Where do you live? I mean what state do you live in?

Oops... It says so right below your nick...

That time is based on what timezone you live in. You are on pacific time, so it shows 3:22 pm, and as you know, 3:22 pm pacific time is 6:22 pm eastern time.

Last edited:

The 'facts' dont matter to so many of the kneejerk liberal set. All Howie Dean has to say is FOX NEWS and so many on the left wet themselves. There are PLENTY of beefs people can have about the Fox personalities...They are like all of MSNBC...except they actually have an audience.

That time is based on what timezone you live in. You are on pacific time, so it shows 3:22 pm, and as you know, 3:22 pm pacific time is 6:22 pm eastern time.
Hmmm. When I look at the comments on current Fox stories they are showing West Coast time.

Seriously, it's sad watching far-righties scramble to defend Brietbart and Fox...

If there ever was a "walk away with your tail between your legs" moment, this is it. But some on the fringe-right would rather parse and spin to defend the indefensible.

Pathetic.

Seriously, it's sad watching far-righties scramble to defend Brietbart and Fox...

I'm not defending Brietbart, but I'm certainly defending Fox. They had absolutely nothing to do with that edited video and played no part in that lady being forced to resign.

The truth is the truth, and the facts are the facts.

The truth is, Fox News did not report on that story, play the video, or even mention the ladies name until after she had already been forced to resign.... and the facts are, that Media Matters lied, mislead and deceived their readers with that phony attack piece of theirs.

Standing up for the truth is always the right thing to do, no matter where that truth might come from.

I'm not defending Brietbart, but I'm certainly defending Fox. They had absolutely nothing to do with that edited video and played no part in that lady being forced to resign.

The truth is the truth, and the facts are the facts.

The truth is, Fox News did not report on that story, play the video, or even mention the ladies name until after she had already been forced to resign.... and the facts are, that Media Matters lied, mislead and deceived their readers with that phony attack piece of theirs.

Standing up for the truth is always the right thing to do, no matter where that truth might come from.

Since being lied to and being mislead is such a big issue with you, why are you defending Fox? After they announced that she was fired, they had a field with this story until the true facts came out the following day. So, for roughly 24 hours, they went nuts attacking this woman. This is supposed to be a news organization for Pete's sake, and should have known better. So you're defending that? If so, you standards are pathetically low.

Since being lied to and being mislead is such a big issue with you, why are you defending Fox? After they announced that she was fired, they had a field with this story until the true facts came out the following day. So, for roughly 24 hours, they went nuts attacking this woman. This is supposed to be a news organization for Pete's sake, and should have known better. So you're defending that? If so, you standards are pathetically low.

Except that Fox wasn't the only news channel doing that... OH let's not talk about that, no no, Fox is EEEVVVIIILLL right? You people are so... easily lead to say what they want you to say and think. Stalin was right.

I watched CNN that night, and they reported the firing around 10:30. From then on, I did not see if they did not do their homework but I am open to that possibility. If you have a link, I will gladly look at it.

In any event, what does the other news channels have to do with Fox? Is it their fault that Fox got it all wrong and spent a good chunk of their evening program misleading it's viewers?

lol...wut? too funny.

This is simply just an attempt by the lefties to bring down Fox News. Again.

They're like the little kid in class who gets mad at the kid who always wins Around the World and accuses him of cheating. Oy.

If there ever was a "walk away with your tail between your legs" moment, this is it. But some on the fringe-right would rather parse and spin to defend the indefensible.

Pathetic.

First, where is there any defense of brietbart here?

Second, how is showing Media Matters is a full of **** biased propoganda machine necessarily defending fox's actions?

Third, by your standards I guess we're simply watching a far-leftie coming to the defense of media matteres, since you don't condemn them but complain about someone else instead.

:roll:

I watched CNN that night, and they reported the firing around 10:30. From then on, I did not see if they did not do their homework but I am open to that possibility. If you have a link, I will gladly look at it.

In any event, what does the other news channels have to do with Fox? Is it their fault that Fox got it all wrong and spent a good chunk of their evening program misleading it's viewers?

Then how would you know what FOX did? :roll:

Pathetic.

Seriously, it's sad watching far-righties lefties scramble to defend Brietbart and Fox media matters...

If there ever was a "walk away with your tail between your legs" moment, this is it. But some on the fringe-right left would rather parse and spin to defend the indefensible.

Pathetic

Jon Stewarts take on this...and mine too...[video]http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/mon-july-26-2010-william-rosen[/video]

Then how would you know what FOX did? :roll:

I saw the clips. Hannity, O'Reilly, Red Eye and Fox, and Friends. Are you denying it?

Last edited:

I saw the clips. Hannity, O'Reilly, Red Eye and Fox, and Friends.

Oh you mean on the opinion shows.... Where were these clips at? :ssst:

Yes. Wasn't it just hilarious how they got it all wrong?

I don't watch them, they tend to be hyperbolic and wrong alot. On every channel, not just fox. Then again, I don't judge them write or wrong based on what spin Media Matters wants to put on it either. :shrug:

I don't watch them, they tend to be hyperbolic and wrong alot. On every channel, not just fox. Then again, I don't judge them write or wrong based on what spin Media Matters wants to put on it either. :shrug:

Thing is, I love it how the rabid righties are going all nuts over this, yet they all give Fox a pass. From what I know, no other network reported more than that she was fired. Oh, and perhaps that the NAACP condemned her too. But they didn't air absolute crap like this all freakin' night:

Fox News' Shirley Sherrod Mediagasm (VIDEO)

I saw the clips. Hannity, O'Reilly, Red Eye and Fox, and Friends. Are you denying it?

damn dude...1-you watch a lot of news and 2-you apparently watch a LOT of FOX news.

Even a liberal shill like Stewart says you are wrong...

Back
Top Bottom