• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod story

Re: Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod sto

I wasn't mistaken. I stand by every word I posted.

In fact, I think Zyphlin's post on another thread sums things up nicely:
I'm sure you do Grim, but it's still your opinion. Bias is in the mind of the reader and there is nothing factual about it.

Here's what I wrote in that same thread:
Grim used a false premises by saying Media Matters unfairly listed Foxnews.com second in a timeline, when in fact that's not what [they]did at all. Foxnews.com was mentioned second because they were mentioned in the lede of their reporting. And the[y] were mentioned there because they are a major news gathering organization taking unvetted video from Andrew Breitbart:

The lede reads:
Media Matters has documented a timeline of Andrew Breitbart's smear of Shirley Sherrod, from Breitbart's initial posting of his deceptively edited clip of Sherrod -- which was amplified by Fox News and other right-wing media -- through the release of the full video of Sherrod's comments, which made clear the context of her remarks.

Timeline of Breitbart's Sherrod smear

Last edited:
Re: Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod sto

I saw a few of the Fox offerings. One persontried to point out that it ws out of contxt, and the other said yeah, we only showed part ofit. . . the racist part. That person was wrong, and so was much of the presentation of the this story.

This was said by Gregg Gutfeld on Red Eye. Red Eye is a comedy show on fox that airs at 2:00 a.m. here. I have no idea when he said it, but it must have been after the whole tape was available. They make fun of everyone including Fox. You can't hold them to the same standards you do the rest of Fox. They are outrageously crazy on that show and not to be taken seriously. They are pure entertainment.

This was said by Gregg Gutfeld on Red Eye. Red Eye is a comedy show on fox that airs at 2:00 a.m. here. I have no idea when he said it, but it must have been after the whole tape was available. They make fun of everyone including Fox. You can't hold them to the same standards you do the rest of Fox. They are outrageously crazy on that show and not to be taken seriously. They are pure entertainment.

But....but....they're fox NEWS, that means everything on the show, 24 hours a day, must be NEWS. :roll:

Don't know the show, so I can't say. But I can say the person suggesting it was out of context was right and that was something all those reorting should have known.

Don't know the show, so I can't say. But I can say the person suggesting it was out of context was right and that was something all those reorting should have known.

The news was being reported. No one only played "the racist" part. Once the whole tape was available, it was all played and people apologized. Gutfeld was being funny.

The news was being reported. No one only played "the racist" part. Once the whole tape was available, it was all played and people apologized. Gutfeld was being funny.

Well from the lady who got fired and rehired to this jokester at least now hopefully most people know not to take Fox News very seriously.

Well from the lady who got fired and rehired to this jokester at least now hopefully most people know not to take Fox News very seriously.

Where'd you get that idea? Fox never reported anything on Sherrod until after she had been fired. Perhaps we shouldn't take the Obama administration or the NAACP seriously. They are the ones who threw her under the bus. NAACP is the one who had the FULL tape. What idiots! The WH acted out of fear of Fox and we expect them to keep us safe from terrorists? What whimps.
As far as Red Eye goes, no they shouldn't be taken seriously anymore than Stewart, Colbert, or David Letterman should be.

Agian, doesn matter to me or make any difference. The fact is simple. They should have waited for the context, to know what was actually being said. Not doing so is lazy, unprofessional, and wrong. I see no way around that.

Agian, doesn matter to me or make any difference. The fact is simple. They should have waited for the context, to know what was actually being said. Not doing so is lazy, unprofessional, and wrong. I see no way around that.

Apparently the tape was believable enough to convince the WH and the NAACP that she was racist. The only people known to have the full tape was the NAACP. Are you holding Fox to a higher standard than you do the WH and the NAACP? I mean after all Obama is the one who tells us not to listen to FOX. What was his reasoning in making those statements? I thought it was because Fox wasn't real news or they were maybe dishonest or something. Maybe he didn't want us watching because he thinks they are honest and credible and he doesn't want us to know the truth?

Besides, Fox did not run any story until AFTER she resigned. Even if she was forced to resign because of what FOX might say, says to me Obama thinks Fox is a credible news source.Do you think he would have done the same if he heard the story was going to break in a tabloid?

Apparently the tape was believable enough to convince the WH and the NAACP that she was racist. The only people known to have the full tape was the NAACP. Are you holding Fox to a higher standard than you do the WH and the NAACP? I mean after all Obama is the one who tells us not to listen to FOX. What was his reasoning in making those statements? I thought it was because Fox wasn't real news or they were maybe dishonest or something. Maybe he didn't want us watching because he thinks they are honest and credible and he doesn't want us to know the truth?

Besides, Fox did not run any story until AFTER she resigned. Even if she was forced to resign because of what FOX might say, says to me Obama thinks Fox is a credible news source.Do you think he would have done the same if he heard the story was going to break in a tabloid?

Again, the WH and the NAACP has been denounced aas well. And it makes no difference when Fox ran it, not at all. There is no excuse for running something out of context and not doing your due diligence to make sure you have it reported accurately. I'm sorry, but they cannot be excused.

Then I guess CNN and MSNBC are also guilty too then, since they also reported the same thing as Fox did... Right Boo?

Then I guess CNN and MSNBC are also guilty too then, since they also reported the same thing as Fox did... Right Boo?

What I caught on CNN was the full version, but if they did the same thing, then yes. There is no excuse for anyone not doing their job.

What I caught on CNN was the full version, but if they did the same thing, then yes. There is no excuse for anyone not doing their job.

/facepalm

no I take that back

/not suprised.....

Did you catch fox or did you hear second hand?

/facepalm

no I take that back

/not suprised.....

Saw some on fax first hand. Yes.

But if you can link CNN doing it as Fox, do so. ANd read the part I wrote here:

but if they did the same thing, then yes. There is no excuse for anyone not doing their job.

/facepalm

no I take that back

/not suprised.....

You were right the first time...you can be not surprised and still have need for a face-palm...

And I dont know...maybe CNN did do it...but I somehow doubt CNN played all 48 minutes or so of the talk unabridged ever.

but if they did the same thing, then yes. There is no excuse for anyone not doing their job.

When this thing first hit I saw the linked video to Breitbart. I didnt think what he played said ANYTHING about her being a racist. EVERYTHING that Breitbart showed told me that she was admitting to a much younger indiscretion and using that to teach others. The ONLY thing I saw that was repulsive was the AUDIENCE response. To this day i DO NOT understand why Breitbart OR Fox News or ANY of the news agencies was vilified for carrying that clip. It simply wasnt BAD...it wasnt evidence of racism. The ONLY people guilty of ANYTHING are the NAACP audience members who applauded her admissions of withholding full support and the NAACP and the Obama admin for jumping the gun and firing someone before they had the facts.

You sure watch a lot of Fox. :roll:

You sure watch a lot of Fox. :roll:

I try to watch a little of everything. Can't stomach much of Beck or Hannity, but I do catch Fox from time to time. ;)

When this thing first hit I saw the linked video to Breitbart. I didnt think what he played said ANYTHING about her being a racist. EVERYTHING that Breitbart showed told me that she was admitting to a much younger indiscretion and using that to teach others. The ONLY thing I saw that was repulsive was the AUDIENCE response. To this day i DO NOT understand why Breitbart OR Fox News or ANY of the news agencies was vilified for carrying that clip. It simply wasnt BAD...it wasnt evidence of racism. The ONLY people guilty of ANYTHING are the NAACP audience members who applauded her admissions of withholding full support and the NAACP and the Obama admin for jumping the gun and firing someone before they had the facts.

They carried it out of context, and that alone made it seem something it wasn't. They did not do their due diligence.

And that shows that CNN covered the story. Which we already knew. it doesnt discuss how much of what when and how they covered it. I seem to recall ms Sherrod ON CNN claiming that the WHite House called her and forced her to send in a letter of resignation because she was going to be on the Glenn Beck show...something which DIDNT happen and when Beck DID report it he was the first to say...whoa...there is nothing here worthy of firing ANYONE.

Again...other than a link that says.."We are CNN and we talked to her a LOT"...what am I missing about your link?

They carried it out of context, and that alone made it seem something it wasn't. They did not do their due diligence.

OK...thats just crap. The link they carried was the only one WE saw when it was first discussed at 8AM that morning...well before the Obama firing and WE saw it in the appropriate context...saw it for what it was. WE...a bunch of no name blogsters saw Breitbarts link and said...this is not evidence of racism...its evidence of a woman that is admitting a mistake...and learning from it...and teaching others. And that was ALL in the Breitbart video.

OK...thats just crap. The link they carried was the only one WE saw when it was first discussed at 8AM that morning...well before the Obama firing and WE saw it in the appropriate context...saw it for what it was. WE...a bunch of no name blogsters saw Breitbarts link and said...this is not evidence of racism...its evidence of a woman that is admitting a mistake...and learning from it...and teaching others. And that was ALL in the Breitbart video.

You might talk to your collegues who have been arguing it wasn't, and that's why Fox wasn't to blame. ;)

I'd like to try as best I can to address why I believe the audience responded that way.

You have to look at two aspects here:

1. the make-up of the audience.

2. the history of racial injustice, unequality and brutality inflected upon African-Americans during a long period leading up to the time inwhich the incident Mrs. Sherrod spoke of took place.

Most of the NAACP audience (naturally) were African-Americans, but they were older African-Americans, people who saw and/or experienced the cruelty of racism first hand. To them, hearing that one of their own who wielding such power over a White man who was in the same boat as other Black farmers of the time, struggling just as they were, was viewed as vindication. To them, it was like "Finally, the White man knows what we're going through. Finally, the White man gets a dose of his own medicine. Finally, the White man feels the injustice WE have suffered for generations." To those older African-Americans in attendence, hearing Mrs. Sherrod admit that she didn't put forth her best efforts to help a White farmer who was struggling just a hard as a Black farmer to keep his land but was being denied the assistance he rightfully deserved under the law was justice in their eyes, justice that had been a long time coming.

You have to see things as they saw them from their generational perspective. Put another way, it's like how many African-American's felt when Medger Ever's killer was finally found guilty of murder some 40+ years later. Finally, justice was served.

Now, I'm not saying that the audience's actions were right. But I am saying that as a Black man who HAS experienced racism before and who has studied African-American history and reviewed some of the injustices that have taken place against my people, I can certainly understand their reaction. Inappropriate as it may have been, I can understand it. I'm sure that if a generation of Whites had experienced the same type of racial injustice, unequality and cruelties, many of them likely would have responded the same way. As for myself, I watched the video but did not respond in the same way as those in attendence as I listened to what Mrs. Sherrod's speech. My approach was far more laid back. Perhaps because the scares of racism don't run as deep for me as they apparently did for some who were there...and likely still do to this day. Still, I can't say I blame those who applauded for their reaction. When you've been hurt and mistreated so bad for so long and you hear perhaps for the first time that someone you identify as "the enemy" and you know those of his kind were receiving better treatment than yourself and both of you were in the exact same situation, I don't think anyone can blame them for their reaction.

Last edited:

You might talk to your collegues who have been arguing it wasn't, and that's why Fox wasn't to blame. ;)

let me ask you a question...did YOU actually WATCH the Breitbart posted video? I did. and at 8:23 that morning we began having a discussion on the video and there were indeed two camps...several thought it was racist (but lets be honest...most of them were just looking for a rope to hang her with-pun intended...they already had an axe to grind), but many including conservative types thought it wasnt just NOT racist but it was a great message. Point of fact, there is much more 'racially motivated comments in the video than what Breitbart. The video Brietbart showed did NOT justify her firing. Who made this thing a complete cluster****? the NAACP and the White House.

Go back...look at the thread. hell WE got it right at 8:23 AM...based on THAT video. The white House FIRED HER at 4:30...based on THAT VIDEO.

This whiole thing has been a bull**** witch hunt. Thats what happens when the NAACP and Obama started their race hatred political bull****. They pulled it on Clinton. They have pulled it any time anyone has dared to oppose The One.

Go look at the facts.

Back
Top Bottom