• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod story

Re: Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod sto

To me the time line, though important, doesn't matter as much as FoxNews' refusal to show contrition in this matter. Again, they were the first news agency to report the story, everyone knows they reported it wrongfully and as such an individual lost her job. Now granted, the WH and the NAACP should have checked their facts first, but FoxNews is just as liable for this blunder as the WH and the NAACP. Still, it's their refusal to acknowledge their wrong-doing that upsets me here.

I think your lack of diligence to see whether or not anyone at Fox has apologized or aknowledged error speaks volumes, frankly. Why, one need only read this very thread to find ample references to exactly that.

Re: Media Matters busted again... Uses deception to falsely attack Fox on Sherrod sto

Even if that's true (which it isn't), the time it was posted is readily available now, and if they were responsible, they'd update the timeline to reflect it accurately.
What MM published is accurate, they said Foxnews.com published the story on the 19th and they did. Since Fox has admitted their error, I see no reason why they should update the story. Besides they use News Style (most important things first) in their stories as I've explained before.

What MM published is accurate, they said Foxnews.com published the story on the 19th and they did. Since Fox has admitted their error, I see no reason why they should update the story. Besides they use News Style (most important things first) in their stories as I've explained before.

OK. Media Matters simply can't do wrong. And if the reader is misled, it's the reader's fault. Got it.

OK. Media Matters simply can't do wrong. And if the reader is misled, it's the reader's fault. Got it.
Media Matters doesn't mislead or put out 'spin.' They are human and have made mistakes on very rare occasions. When they do, they publish corrections. As true journalists do. :mrgreen:

And while this is not one of them, I do now recall they published in their County Fair blog the essence of the Politico story yesterday and the time Fox published the story on the 19th.

Last edited:

I think your lack of diligence to see whether or not anyone at Fox has apologized or aknowledged error speaks volumes, frankly. Why, one need only read this very thread to find ample references to exactly that.

For your information, I've already stated atleast twice that I know of atleast one person at FoxNews who has apologized for not doing proper investigative journalism on this story - Bill O'Rielly. Moreover, I've said time and time again that I was unaware if anyone else had. In fact, this story from Politico.com discusses FoxNews' part in all this, plus they expand on the timeline of events that lead up to FoxNews' reporting of the story which only goes to show that since the Sherrod story first broke nationally on FoxNews, Bill O'Reilly remains the only person at FoxNews to apologize publically to Mrs. Sherrod. Even their Senior VP goes out of his way to deflect blame from FoxNews:

Following the exchange [between Chris Wallace and Howard Dean on Fox News Sunday 7/25], Fox News Senior Vice President of News Michael Clemente said that "some people, such as the failed candidate Dean, reflexively blame Fox for almost anything."

Read more: Fox News admits 'a breakdown' on Shirley Sherrod story - Keach Hagey - POLITICO.com

As to the point of the OP, blogger Eric Boehlert for MediaMatters.org sheds new light on exactly how far FoxNews went to get the Sherrod story out.

Read more: Fox News exec confirms it did *peddle Sherrod story before she was fired | Media Matters for America

So, I don't think I'm being unfair or disingenuous at all. In fact, I've spent the last few days waiting and listening patiently for FoxNews to do the right thing here and just admit they were wrong in how they handled this situation. So far, they haven't...and I doubt they ever will.

Last edited:

Media Matters doesn't mislead or put out 'spin.' They are human and have made mistakes on very rare occasions. When they do, they publish corrections. As true journalists do.

Dude. Their timeline, as it sits at this very moment, is misleading. They have not corrected it. If you say it's not; if you stick to the lame excuse that it's written in "news style" when it's clearly not, then you're nothing but a water-carrier.

For your information, I've already stated atleast twice that I know of atleast one person at FoxNews who has apologized for not doing proper investigative journalism on this story - Bill O'Rielly. Moreover, I've said time and time again that I was unaware if anyone else had. In fact, this story from Politico.com discusses FoxNews' part in all this, plus they expand on the timeline of events that lead up to FoxNews' reporting of the story which only goes to show that since the Sherrod story first broke nationally on FoxNews, Bill O'Reilly remains the only person at FoxNews to apologize publically to Mrs. Sherrod. Even their Senior VP goes out of his way to deflect blame from FoxNews:

Read more: Fox News admits 'a breakdown' on Shirley Sherrod story - Keach Hagey - POLITICO.com

As to the point of the OP, blogger Eric Boehlert for MediaMatters.org sheds new light on exactly how far FoxNews went to get the Sherrod story out.

Read more: Fox News exec confirms it did *peddle Sherrod story before she was fired | Media Matters for America

So, I don't think I'm being unfair or disingenuous at all. In fact, I've spent the last few days waiting and listening patiently for FoxNews to do the right thing here and just admit they were wrong in how they handled this situation. So far, they haven't...and I doubt they ever will.

You didn't say anything about O'Reilly here:

To me the time line, though important, doesn't matter as much as FoxNews' refusal to show contrition in this matter. Again, they were the first news agency to report the story, everyone knows they reported it wrongfully and as such an individual lost her job. Now granted, the WH and the NAACP should have checked their facts first, but FoxNews is just as liable for this blunder as the WH and the NAACP. Still, it's their refusal to acknowledge their wrong-doing that upsets me here.

And your own link says "Fox News admits 'a breakdown' on Shirley Sherrod story."

These don't seem like "refusals to acknowledge" anything. And it's a damn sight as good as the NAACP's "we were snookered by Fox!!!!" "apology" (which for obvious reasons is completely disingenuous) or Gibbs's "you press people got it wrong" apology.

So what do you want? Someone from Fox News to get up and say "we intentionally smeared Sherrod, facts be damned, because that's how we roll"? Seems like it.

Oh, c'mon, Harshaw. Give me a break, will ya'?

FoxNews admitting that they had a "breakdown" in covering this story isn't the same as saying "We made a mistake and we want to extend our sincere apologies to Mrs. Sherrod for our failure of prudent journalism". So, for my taste "their refusal to acknowledge their wrong-doing" goes alittle bit further than just acknowleging the mere fact that they made a mistake.

To convince me of the network's sincerity, yes I'd also like to know that those who falsely reported this story on FoxNews render an apology to Mrs. Sherrod OR that somebody from the executive at the network do so to cover all who blundered. But like I said, it won't happen. Still, I'm willing to let the matter rest.

And for the record, I did mention that Bill O'Rielly had apologied to Mrs. Sherrod in post #234.

Last edited:

FoxNews admitting that they had a "breakdown" in covering this story isn't the same as saying "We made a mistake and we want to extend our sincere apologies to Mrs. Sherrod for our failure of prudent journalism". So, for my taste "their refusal to acknowledge their wrong-doing" goes alittle bit further than just acknowleging the mere fact that they made a mistake.

To convince me of the network's sincerity, yes I'd also like to know that those who falsely reported this story on FoxNews render an apology to Mrs. Sherrod OR that somebody from the executive at the network do so to cover all who blundered. But like I said, it won't happen. Still, I'm willing to let the matter rest.

And for the record, I did mention that Bill O'Rielly had apologied to Mrs. Sherrod in post #234.

So your all butt hurt because they didnt say "i'm sowwy"

I don't recall but did CBS apologize for dan rather?

did Dan Rather Apologize to Bush?

Give ME a break. You're perfectly happy with the "it wasn't our fault" apologies from the NAACP and the White House, but nothing short of "oh my god did we f**k up" from the top at Fox News will be good enough for you.

And hitherto, you said they didn't even acknowledge that much. At least they didn't try to blame their mistake on anyone else, unlike the "apologies" you find acceptable.

To convince me of the network's sincerity, yes I'd also like to know that those who falsely reported this story on FoxNews

Now you're asking for an apology for something they didn't do. They may well have gone forward in haste, but they didn't "falsely report" anything. They reported on what the video "appeared" to say, where it came from, and also that they had not yet received comment from the parties involved. There was no falsity in the story. Insufficient diligence, sure, but "falsely reported" implies they lied. They didn't.

Still, I'm willing to let the matter rest.

Oh, well, I'm sure they'll be releved to hear it.

Then why did you say twice that Fox News hasn't even acknowledged anything?

So your all butt hurt because they didnt say "i'm sowwy"

I don't recall but did CBS apologize for dan rather?

did Dan Rather Apologize to Bush?

I think CBS may have, but neither Mary Mapes nor Dan Rather have ever done anything but continue to stand by the story.

Dude. Their timeline, as it sits at this very moment, is misleading. They have not corrected it. If you say it's not; if you stick to the lame excuse that it's written in "news style" when it's clearly not, then you're nothing but a water-carrier.
The Media Matters story is correct as written, they said Foxnews.com published the story Monday July 19, 2010 and that is correct. I am sorry that it's your opinion that you were snookered by Media Matters, such is life.

As far as updates go, why hasn't Foxnews.com apologized to it's readers for jumping the gun on the story? Or that the story as it stands now is very, very misleading?

FOXNews.com - Video Shows USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer

The Media Matters story is correct as written, they said Foxnews.com published the story Monday July 19, 2010 and that is correct. I am sorry that it's your opinion that you were snookered by Media Matters, such is life.

It's not my opinion; they haven't snookered anyone but you.

But that they give a time stamp to everything BUT the story IS misleading, and I'm sorry you won't admit that.

As far as updates go, why hasn't Foxnews.com apologized to it's readers for jumping the gun on the story? Or that the story as it stands now is very, very misleading?

FOXNews.com - Video Shows USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer

Yes, as it has not been updated to reflect everything which has happened since, it is very, very misleading.

It's not my opinion; they haven't snookered anyone but you.
You and Grim are the only one's complaining about this aspect of the Media Matters report. I receive every day an email Google Alert for "Media Matters." The only story that came even close, was from RightPundits.com and they never mention foxnews.com.

Shirley Sherrod – Timeline Of A Charade? » Right Pundits

Where you this upset at Dan Rather?

If you're implying that I wasn't upset with his erroneous reporting of the Swift Boat incident, yes, I was. But I didn't think it warranted his firing anymore than I think those who first reported the Shirley Sherrod story on FoxNews should be. He made a mistake. I'd like to think the commentators on Fox News made a similar honest mistake, but somehow I don't think so.

As to whether or not Dan Rather or CBS ever apologized for it, I don't know. Didn't really care all that much about the situation back then. (And frankly, didn't know all the details of it since I was stationed abroad on active duty at the time; but I do recall that he got the story wrong whatever the details where and that his FUPBAR cost him his job.)

In any case, as I've said time and again, atleast somebody at FoxNews owned up to his mistake AND apologied for it. That's the point I've been trying to make from the very start concerning this matter. And to that...

Harshaw,

I'm done. I've said my peace. You can complain all you want about me, but my position stands. Until FoxNews - the "fair and balanced" news agency that originally reported this story on the national scene - admits to their mistake AND apologies for it, I see them as a dishonest and bias news agency.

Sidenote: For the record, I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. In this case, I'm referring to the fact the FoxNews did atleast aknowledge their mistake...in electronic print form which as far as I've been able to determine has been the only media format they've admitted their mistake. But to me, that's just a cop out. I mean, they had no problem going public with the story on cable TV. Why hide in the shaddows now that the truth has come out on the story? If the WH can publicly admit they were wrong AND apologize for it, and the NAACP can admit they were wrong AND apologize for it, why then can't FoxNews do the same instead of just going half-way about it? That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Media Matters has been caught red handed yet again, using lies and deceptions in the Shirley Sherrod incident to level another false attack on Fox News. What's so sad about this, is that so many people on the left bought their BS hook, line and sinker, when the facts were so easily checkable.

Media Matters on July 22nd, published a story titled "Timeline of Breitbart's Sherrod smear", where they use lies and deceptions to lead their readers into falsely believing that Fox News played a pivotal role in Shirley Sherrod losing her job.

DECEPTION
Their time line for Monday, the day this all happened, lays out 20 different events in chronological order from 11:18 am when Breitbart posts the video on biggovernment.com, thru 10:39 pm when CNN reports on her resignation. Right away 2 things immediately jumped out at me. For some strange reason, the event they titled "Fox News amplifies Breitbart's deceptively edited video" (complete with screen shot of the Foxnews.com story) was the only event that MM didn't include a time with, and they placed that event between Breitbart's release of the video at 11:18 am, and Gateway Pundit's post at 12:13 pm.

Since this is a "time line", MM leads it's readers to believe that the Foxnews.com story was published sometime between 11:18 and 12:13 on Monday.

The Facts
That story (which was the first that mentioned the issue) wasn't published on Foxnews.com until just after 6pm Monday, as is indicated by the first public comment which was made at 6:22pm. So in reality, the Foxnews.com story should have been the 10th event in that time line, instead of 2nd.

LIE
In the event titled "Fox News amplifies Breitbart's deceptively edited video", MM states:

On July 19, FoxNews.com reported: "Days after the NAACP clashed with Tea Party members over allegations of racism, a video has surfaced showing an Agriculture Department official regaling an NAACP audience with a story about how she withheld help to a white farmer facing bankruptcy."
Now in an attempt to make it look like Fox News is trying to cover up their "complicity" in taking Shirley Sherrod down, they go on to say...

The article is no longer available on FoxNews.com but was republished on another website:
0721-originalfoxsherrodstory.jpg

The Facts
That article was never taken down, and is still available on Foxnews.com as we speak.

MISLEADING
MM goes the extra mile to highlight what was written at 1:41 pm on Foxnation.com, by posting not one, but two screen shots of their headlines, giving everyone a before and after she was fired screen shot. They made sure that the "Fox Nation" logo was in both of them, so their readers couldn't possibly miss the word "Fox".

The point was for their readers to see 2 events tied to "Fox" before it was announced that Shirley Sherrod had resigned, to make it seem that Fox News had acted irresponsibly, and indeed played a role in her being forced to resign.

The Facts
Fox Nation is just a blogger site,not an extension of Foxnews.com. They are similar to sites like the huffington post, hotair or the daily kos, where public bloggers take information from other blogs and news outlets and write about it. The Fox News Network has nothing to do with what's posted there, just like Ariana Huffington isn't responsible for what the bloggers on her site write about. Media Matters is fully aware that Fox Nation is a blog, but hoped their readers wouldn't know that.

The facts are clear...

11:16 am
The video was released

12:13 pm
Bloggers on the net start jumping all over the story.

5:00 pm (aprox)
Shirley Sherrod pulls over her car and resigns from her job (hasn't been made public yet)

5:00 pm
O'Reilly starts taping his show (where toward the end he calls for her resignation)

6:00 pm (aprox)
Foxnews.com publishes their first story about Sharrod and the video

7:30 pm (aprox)
Foxnews.com receives word and reports that Sharrod has resigned.

8:50 pm
Bill O'Reilly becomes the first person on the Fox News Channel to mention the story on air, or show parts of the video

See what a difference the facts make?

This was nothing more than a phony Media Matters hit piece on Fox News. They tried to lead readers to believe that from the time the video was released, until the lady was forced to resign, that Fox News was publishing stories based on the edited video and had been condemning this lady as a racist all day long. Their story used deception and out right lies to try and convince people that Fox News acted irresponsibly, and therefore was to blame for that lady losing her job.

CONCLUSION

Media Matters is full of ****.

Please read the third paragraph from the bottom of the screen capture and tell me that foxnews.com wasn't pushing this story. That they didn't take the story down?

And the CONCLUSION is Media Matters isn't the one who is full of ****

See what a difference the facts make?

:lamo:2dance::shoot

I'd like to add this one last thing then I'd done with this issue...

Media Matters is correct about one thing...

The story entitled, "Video Shows USDA Official Saying She Didn't Give 'Full Force' of Help to White Farmer" as originally reported on FoxNews.com on July 19, 2010, is no longer on the FoxNews.com. However, a revision of the same story can be found at there dated July 20, 2010 by doing a keyword search, "full force". Among the many edits in this new version of the story is one clear omission - the third to last paragraph from the original story that stated that FoxNews.com was trying to get a response from the NAACP and the USDA was deleted.

Kinda makes you wonder...is FoxNews.com trying to cover their tracks? The damage is already done. So, why try to cover things up or gloss them over at this point?

What do you guys think that third paragraph from the bottom says? If it's a gotcha, what does it mean?

When they revised the story, both the NAACP and the USDA/Agriculture department had both issued official public statements on the video, so the responses were had. What tracks would they have been covering?

If you're implying that I wasn't upset with his erroneous reporting of the Swift Boat incident, yes, I was. But I didn't think it warranted his firing anymore than I think those who first reported the Shirley Sherrod story on FoxNews should be. He made a mistake. I'd like to think the commentators on Fox News made a similar honest mistake, but somehow I don't think so.

As to whether or not Dan Rather or CBS ever apologized for it, I don't know. Didn't really care all that much about the situation back then. (And frankly, didn't know all the details of it since I was stationed abroad on active duty at the time; but I do recall that he got the story wrong whatever the details where and that his FUPBAR cost him his job.)

Uh, no.

It wasn't the Swift Boat story.

It was the Air National Guard story. Dan Rather used forged documents to "prove" Bush had gotten favors in the Air National Guard from his father.

The documents were proven to be forgeries, but neither the producer of the story (Mary Mapes) nor Dan Rather has ever recanted the story or apologized. They both still stand by the story.

In any case, as I've said time and again, atleast somebody at FoxNews owned up to his mistake AND apologied for it. That's the point I've been trying to make from the very start concerning this matter. And to that...

No, you didn't. You said no one at Fox News had acknowledged anything wrong. You said it twice. I quoted you.

Harshaw,

I'm done. I've said my peace.

So you keeep saying.

You can complain all you want about me, but my position stands. Until FoxNews - the "fair and balanced" news agency that originally reported this story on the national scene - admits to their mistake AND apologies for it, I see them as a dishonest and bias news agency.

I showed you where the mistake was admitted, and O'Reilly apologized. You keep saying that's what you want. It happened.

Sidenote: For the record, I'm man enough to admit when I'm wrong. In this case, I'm referring to the fact the FoxNews did atleast aknowledge their mistake...in electronic print form which as far as I've been able to determine has been the only media format they've admitted their mistake. But to me, that's just a cop out. I mean, they had no problem going public with the story on cable TV. Why hide in the shaddows now that the truth has come out on the story? If the WH can publicly admit they were wrong AND apologize for it, and the NAACP can admit they were wrong AND apologize for it, why then can't FoxNews do the same instead of just going half-way about it? That's all I'm saying.

You keep holding up the NAACP and the White House as examples that Fox News should follow, and I keep pointing out: the NAACP's "apology" was "we're sorry we were snookered by Fox News," which is preposterous, given they had the whole tape the entire time, and the White House's apology was similar, blaming it on the press. As I said, Fox News acknowledged their mistake without trying to blame it anyone else. I'd think if you were really interested in apologies here, you'd be after the NAACP and the White House to take full responsibility for their own mistakes, which they have yet to do. "I'm sorry, but THEY made me do it" doesn't cut it.

Apology from NAACP President and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous in a statement dated 7/20/2010:

I apologized to Ms. Sherrod, clearly a commited and selfless public servant, who had been unfairly maligned.

From WH Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, speaking on behalf of entire Obama Administration on 7/22/2010:

Once it became clear that the speech in question was advocating racial reconciliation, not racism, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack apologized to her and offered her a new job Wednesday. Gibbs also apologized publicly "for the entire administration."

FoxNews.... "...acknowledged their mistake..." ...nothing more. Again, as far as I am aware the only FoxNews commentator who has publically apologized to Mrs. Sherrod for his part in wrongfully reporting this story (on behalf of himself NOT the news agency he works for/represents) has been Bill O'Rielly.

'Nuff Said.

Last edited:

Apology from NAACP President and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous in a statement dated 7/20/2010:

From WH Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, speaking on behalf of entire Obama Administration on 7/22/2010:

FoxNews.... "...acknowledged their mistake..." ...nothing more. Again, as far as I am aware the only FoxNews commentator who has publically apologized to Mrs. Sherrod for his part in wrongfully reporting this story (on behalf of himself NOT the news agency he works for/represents) has been Bill O'Rielly.

'Nuff Said.

Seriously? "'nuff said"? You take the convenient, selected parts out of those stories and say "'nuff said"? When the entire affair centers around selective editing, you say "'nuff said"? You leave out stacks and stacks of context and other statements, and you say "'nuff said"?

Funny, when you put the selection of the NAACP apology into its fuller context:

With regard to the initial media coverage of the resignation of USDA Official Shirley Sherrod, we have come to the conclusion we were snookered by Fox News and Tea Party Activist Andrew Breitbart into believing she had harmed white farmers because of racial bias.

Having reviewed the full tape, spoken to Ms. Sherrod, and most importantly heard the testimony of the white farmers mentioned in this story, we now believe the organization that edited the documents did so with the intention of deceiving millions of Americans. I apologized to Ms. Sherrod, clearly a commited [me: sic] and selfless public servant, who had been unfairly maligned

Why did you leave the rest of it out? It is as I said; they blamed it on Fox News when they had the whole tape in their possession the whole time.

As to the Gibbs story, here's the fuller context:

GIBBS: Well, I think this is one -- I think this is a fair way to put it. Members of this administration, members of the media, members of different political factions on both sides of this have all made determinations and judgments without a full set of facts.

I think that is -- that is wholly and completely accurate. I think, without a doubt, Ms. Sherrod is owed an apology. I would do so, certainly, on behalf of this administration. I think, if -- if we learn -- if we look back and decide what we want to learn out of this, I think it is, as I said, everybody involved made determinations without knowing all the facts and all the events.

QUESTION: Why do you think that happened?

GIBBS: I can't speak for everybody involved, but I -- I think we live in a culture -- I think we live in a culture that things rip around; people want fast responses; we want to give fast responses; and I don't think there's any doubt that, if we all look at this, I think the lesson -- one of the great lessons you take away from this is -- is to ask all the questions first and to come to that fuller understanding.

I say that, again, from the perspective of this administration; I say that from the perspective of those that cover this administration and those that are involved in the back-and-forth in the political theater of this country.

QUESTION: One last one on this, that apology from the secretary, does that -- does that reflect the president's view as well?

GIBBS: It -- it -- it -- again, I -- I did so just a few moments ago on behalf of this entire administration.

Of course, Obama said (regarding the firing):

"He jumped the gun, partly because we now live in this media culture where something goes up on YouTube or a blog and everybody scrambles," Obama said.

This is from the story YOU linked to, but you left this out. Why?

And, Gibbs got into it with Jake Tapper, who saw it the way I do:

GIBBS: The secretary is trying to reach her. I hope that the secretary reaches her soon and they have an opportunity to talk. The secretary will apologize for the actions that have taken place over the past 24 to 36 hours. And on behalf of the administration, I offer our apologies.

Again, I -- I -- this is more directed at everybody at large here. I think -- I think everybody has to go back. We have -- we will continue to -- and look at what has happened over the past 24 to 36 hours, and ask ourselves how we got into this. How did we get into -- how did we not ask the right questions? How did you all not ask the right questions? How did other people not ask the right questions? And go from there.

QUESTION: I asked the right questions. I actually called her before we reported on this to find out what her story is, and so you can fault the media if you want, but...

GIBBS: I don't fault the media, Jake, but I -- I -- no, no, hold on. I'm not here to fault the media.

But, of course, no one bought that.

All this was easy to find:

Transcript of White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs' Remarks on Shirley Sherrod

You can wring out what you like from it (though I think it's obvious he's blaming "the media," i.e., Fox News and Breitbart), but in NO sense did he offer the unqualified apology you imply he did.

So, you're no better than what you say Fox News is.

Why? Is it because all the righties can giggle about is something about a tingle?

Matthews' infatuation with conservatives.

G. W. Bush

He looks great in a military uniform. He looks great in that cowboy costume he wears when he goes West

John McCain

There he is! Senator McCain! You know you’re in my heart.

as far as he was concerned, McCain "deserves the presidency."

"Every time I look at a poll. And I expect McCain to win everyone of these polls. The press loves McCain. We're his base I think sometimes."

Rudy Guiliano

the "perfect candidate"--the one who "looks like a President"

Newt Gingrich

got that handsome head of hair

Fred Thompson

the guy is practically George Clooney

Mitt Romney

He's got a great chin, I've noticed.

Harshaw,

What would be the point of pointing out that the White House, the President, the NAACP and the Agriculture Secretary all made the same initial mistake that FoxNews and other media outlets made? We all know they ran with the story before verifying the accuracy of it. So, I fail to see why you'd bring up those portions where Gibbs, the President or the NAACP would point the finger at FoxNews as well as an other media outlet that made the same mistake.

Fact is Gibbs, the President, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and the NAACP all acknowledged their mistake AND publically apologized to Mrs. Sherrod whereas FoxNews has not. In fact, there's an AP article found on LATimes.com dated 7/21/2010 by Matea Gold where FoxNews Senior VP Michael Clemente cautioned his reporters on how to handle the story, but obviously some didn't heed his advice.

Michael Clemente, senior vice president of news editorial, said the network’s [Fox] news programs reported the story with caution. “When I heard about this Monday morning and saw it on Breitbart’s website, I said, ‘OK, could be a story, let’s check it out,’ ” Clemente said. “We did the normal fact-finding we would do on any story.”

At an afternoon editorial meeting Monday, Clemente urged the staff to first get the facts and obtain comment from Sherrod before going on air, according to internal notes from the meeting that were provided to The Times. “Let’s make sure we do this right,” he said.

Obviously, they dropped the ball. The above shows their complacency in how they handled this story improperly. Now, they did own up to their mistake, but as far as I am aware they have yet to apologize to Mrs. Sherrod for their wrong-doing. That, again, is my point concerning the matter.

Back
Top Bottom