• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Media Hype

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
So, remember all the stories about the hundreds of people killing each other in NO, the terror in the Superdome, the horrors of the streets, etc? All bullshit media hype.

After five days managing near-riots, medical horrors and unspeakable living conditions inside the Superdome, Louisiana National Guard Col. Thomas Beron prepared to hand over the dead to representatives of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Following days of internationally reported killings, rapes and gang violence inside the Dome, the doctor from FEMA - Beron doesn't remember his name - came prepared for a grisly scene: He brought a refrigerated 18-wheeler and three doctors to process bodies.

"I've got a report of 200 bodies in the Dome," Beron recalls the doctor saying.

The real total was six, Beron said.

Of those, four died of natural causes, one overdosed and another jumped to his death in an apparent suicide, said Beron, who personally oversaw the turning over of bodies from a Dome freezer, where they lay atop melting bags of ice. State health department officials in charge of body recovery put the official death count at the Dome at 10, but Beron said the other four bodies were found in the street near the Dome, not inside it. Both sources said no one had been killed inside.

At the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, just four bodies were recovered, despites reports of corpses piled inside the building. Only one of the dead appeared to have been slain, said health and law enforcement officials.

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/tporle...ola_tporleans/archives/2005_09_26.html#082732

So all those reports of people killing each other in the streets, death and disaster in the Superdome, piles of corpses? Bullshit.

Just another day of the media selling a product to the idiot masses.

RightatNYU said:
So, remember all the stories about the hundreds of people killing each other in NO, the terror in the Superdome, the horrors of the streets, etc? All bullshit media hype.

http://www.nola.com/newslogs/tporle...ola_tporleans/archives/2005_09_26.html#082732

So all those reports of people killing each other in the streets, death and disaster in the Superdome, piles of corpses? Bullshit.

Just another day of the media selling a product to the idiot masses.
Don't worry...when things calm down, we'll get back to that "gripping" story about the blond girl in Aruba.:roll:

cnredd said:
Don't worry...when things calm down, we'll get back to that "gripping" story about the blond girl in Aruba.:roll:

Great t-shirt:

"123 out of 124 teens agree...Aruba is great!"

RightatNYU said:
Great t-shirt:

"123 out of 124 teens agree...Aruba is great!"
:rofl That's perfect!

...blonde girl in Aruba?

Okie. So they found six bodies in the dome. Therefore the widespread (New Orleans is more than just one Superdome) chaos that was often documented on film, not to mention what was said by witnesses, is a lie? Uh, no. *coughdenialcough*

If you don't see any reason to blame Bush, fine. Don't. Just don't act as if the whole thing never happened as a means of defending him, because that's what it's starting to look like.

vergiss said:
...blonde girl in Aruba?

Okie. So they found six bodies in the dome. Therefore the widespread (New Orleans is more than just one Superdome) chaos that was often documented on film, not to mention what was said by witnesses, is a lie? Uh, no. *coughdenialcough*

If you don't see any reason to blame Bush, fine. Don't. Just don't act as if the whole thing never happened as a means of defending him, because that's what it's starting to look like.

Where did I mention Bush?

I'm talking about the fact that the "chaos" that you claim happened was far and few between, and that for the most part, the evacuation went as well as could have been hoped for, what with a completely incompetent mayor and governor.

My biggest beef is with the media who once again, decided to sell the idiot public a story that was far from true.

Sigh. You obviously didn't read a word of my post.

vergiss said:
Sigh. You obviously didn't read a word of my post.

Oh, no, I did.

My original post was drawing attention to the fact that the media hyped the deaths and violence in order to sell a story for whatever motive. I explained that that bothered me.

You responded by saying "Well, 6 people died, so that's ridiculous!," proceeded to ignore the FACT that the majority of the "chaos" which you claim happened, didn't actually happen, and then started accusing me of trying to take the blame off bush.

What on earth did Bush have to do with my original post?

The article talks about one location in an entire city! Besides, how do we know more people didn't die there? Bodies can be moved, you know. People might have removed them to hide them, to put them in a more sanitary area and keep them away from human contact (which is the logical thing, considering the diseases that rotting corpses bring), or they might have been washed away in flooding.

I fail to see how "six bodies = New Orleans was a picture of calm and serenity".

And I'm not talking about you specifically regarding Bush, so try deflating that ego a tad.

So what were all those pictures of mutilated bodies about?

vergiss said:
I fail to see how "six bodies = New Orleans was a picture of calm and serenity".

because New Orleans anticipated 250 murders this year
so the 6 deaths is right inline with what normally happens

the real point is that the media passed along every horror story every refugee told them. And the overwhelming majority of them appear to be BULL*****
including the nonsense of a guy being beaten to death after being caught raping and killing a little girl

Maybe the media is only going by the wonderful Mayor's own words?...:doh

Nagin Predicts Death Toll of 10,000
Date: Monday, September 05, 2005
By: Doug Simpson, Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS, La. (AP) - A week after Hurricane Katrina swept through, engineers plugged the levee break that had swamped much of the city and floodwaters began to recede, but along with the good news came the mayor's direst prediction yet: as many as 10,000 dead...

...In New Orleans, Nagin upticked his estimate of the probable death toll in his city from merely thousands to telling NBC's "Today" show: "It wouldn't be unreasonable to have 10,000."...

http://www.blackamericaweb.com/site.aspx/headlines/nagin906

It is unsubstantiated the Mayor Nagin has bet all of his Democratic contributions on the Super Bowl being won by the Arizona Cardinals and predicting the next card out of the deck will be the 19 of clubs...;)

vergiss said:
The article talks about one location in an entire city! Besides, how do we know more people didn't die there? Bodies can be moved, you know. People might have removed them to hide them, to put them in a more sanitary area and keep them away from human contact (which is the logical thing, considering the diseases that rotting corpses bring), or they might have been washed away in flooding.

And I'm not talking about you specifically regarding Bush, so try deflating that ego a tad.

Right, people probably moved them. Except that the people who were coming in to move them were the ones who found out that there WERE no dead bodies. Nowhere did I say that NO was a picture of calm and serenity, but it also wasn't piles and piles of corpses and cannibalism, as the media would have you think.

And forgive me for not understanding that instead of responding to a non-existant claim about Bush, you were just merely making a random, blanket criticism of nothing that anyone said.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the NO police chief resigning. And I wonder if the House committee will make Nagin clearly state what he was basing his similar claims, like the ones he made on Opra. It is perfectly understandable that FEMA would be hesitiant to send thier people into such an out of control, dangerous situation. FEMA people are not the military and they have no self-defense. Security falls on the state and local. The troops can be federalized but ONLY when the Govenor agrees and she specifically said no. So the buck stops with her. Will she be grilled just as Brown was?

vergiss said:
...blonde girl in Aruba?

OK so if it is all true then Brown and FEMA acted correctly in making sure that those sites were secure before sending the defenseless FEMA helpers in?

vergiss said:

And we would know that

Stinger said:
I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the NO police chief resigning. And I wonder if the House committee will make Nagin clearly state what he was basing his similar claims, like the ones he made on Opra. It is perfectly understandable that FEMA would be hesitiant to send thier people into such an out of control, dangerous situation. FEMA people are not the military and they have no self-defense. Security falls on the state and local. The troops can be federalized but ONLY when the Govenor agrees and she specifically said no. So the buck stops with her. Will she be grilled just as Brown was?
Bush declared a state of emergency for LA(as blanco requested) which gives him complete control of it along with whatever national guard they had. That was before the hurricane made landfall.

Whats interesting is that I actually got to meet the President :3oops: .....I felt kinda bad for some of the things I said about him in the past here on these boards.... I went there with a coalition of Mosques here in Florida to help with cleanup food etc......and some of us (about 15) got to meet him and he asked us a couple of questions about our Coalition (not religious questions) then he shook our hands and left.....I was somewhat suprised he didnt take any pictures though because pictures with Muslims smiling would always be a good thing for him.......I know that alot of Muslims dont like getting their picture taken and that we were not in "Hajib" (Islamic clothing) but I dont know if that matters <shrug> anyways it's good to be helping people and not playing politcal politics

peace

Back
Top Bottom